splitting seam on Les Paul maple top

walterw

Gold Supporting Member
i have literally never seen that before on a real gibson LP!

either they picked some really bad wood or did a really bad job of drying it before putting the guitar together

wsaraceni

Supporting Member

either they picked some really bad wood or did a really bad job of drying it before putting the guitar together
I thought it was weird too. that's why I posted it here. im not looking to purchase it or anything. but felt it was worth a discussion. but could you fix it? what would need to be done?

larry1096

Yeah, I picked up an Agile super-cheap because it had that same issue, to about that same degree, actually.

Since the seam still 'felt' closed, and only had a visible gap, I assumed it had been finished that way, and was a construction error. If it had been wood shrinkage, I figured the poly would have split or dipped at the opened area.

I never figured a way to fix it without, as wox said, retopping it. For an Agile, that wasn't practical, but it sounded and played well, and stayed stable for the few years I owned it.

Larry

larry1096

Actually, watching a Santana video pointed out one way that could be addressed, although whether it would be 'more attractive' would certainly be in the eye of the beholder. An inlay down the centerline, covering the seam, like the PRS Santana:

Larry

wsaraceni

Supporting Member
Actually, watching a Santana video pointed out one way that could be addressed, although whether it would be 'more attractive' would certainly be in the eye of the beholder. An inlay down the centerline, covering the seam, like the PRS Santana:

Larry

Haha. I have a Santana with the inlays and I love it. But man that would be horrible on a les Paul.

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen this before, but mostly, for some reason, on 3-piece tops that look like they've been well-used. It makes sense that too much time in too dry an environment might do that.

Trending Topics