1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Spoke wheel truss rod adjustment: why is this not universal?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Jim S, May 16, 2011.

1. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adjusting_nuts/Spoke_Wheel_Truss_Rod_Nut.html

The 1/2"-diameter "spoke" nut is designed to protrude slightly from the neck heel; insert a thin tool into the side of the nut to turn it, without pickguard removal.

Spoke wheel truss rod nuts have a 10-32 thread, are 1-1/8" length, and have a black oxide finish.

[​IMG]

Sadowsky uses this on his bolt-on guitars and it's godsend for making a quick adjustment.

Why is this not ubiquitous?

[​IMG]

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Music Man guitars use something similar and it really is the slickest, system I've used.

I wouldn't want it on a traditional Strat or Tele as I much prefer the clean look of those original designs and I don't really change the relief on my guitars more than once a year (if that).

3. stallworth98

stallworth98 Member

It may have something to do with displacement of the neck PU from the harmonic node at the implied 24th fret.

Yes, I have no experience as a luthier and am speaking from total ignorance; please forgive me.

4. RSRelic

RSRelic Member

We did a batch of six guitars with them about three years ago and got flamed over them because they killed the vintage looks of the guitars. One of the six sold and the other five had to be changed back to the standard lug and pickguard. Great idea for a modern guitar, but not for a classic look (YMMV). Being a big Musicman String Ray fan personally I think it's a great idea. Now that said if it's all about function the best adjustment by far has been the bullet truss rod. If just happened to be used at a bad time, but for a design it's great, but good luck selling guitars with it.

5. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

Yes...what he said! Never used one.

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Are the spoke wheel setups somehow superior to having them in the headstock? I mean, I prefer them to any other base-of-the-neck adjustments, but I prefer them at the headstock in general.
    -
    Austin

7. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

Some believe that the headstock adjust leaves a cavity directly below the nut slot which can alter the tone. I agree in theory but in practice I have no definitive feeling.

8. chrisforshage

chrisforshage Supporting Member

Of all the broken headstocks you've repaired, how many of them adjusted at the heel?

9. Jim S

Thanks guys. I guess some people are more picky about form than function.
    Shame.

I assume this could be done aftermarket with a tiny bit of routing and pickguard cutting....?

10. puffin

puffin Senior Member

I don't know rods from nuts, but that Sadowsky double cut is outrageous!!

11. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Michael Tuttle uses this.

[​IMG]

Let the cork sniffers sniff cork!!!

12. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

13. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

Great design detail! Thanks for posting.

14. chrisforshage

chrisforshage Supporting Member

I've done a couple like this, where the spoke wheel is accessed through a slot in the fingerboard. I think it looks a little funny on the maple board(less so on the rosewood) but a cover, that's something to think about.
    [​IMG]

15. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

I see a potential problem with a 21 fret neck. The nuts look extrememly long and would not be too good for the vintage stuff. I may have to grab one and see if it can be cut back a bit without damaging the threads. I love the idea but the look is a bit more modern. Hey, maybe a new series, based squarely on the truss nut:)

16. simon_62

simon_62 Member

Is that one of those fender locking trems? Always fancied trying them, seemed like a good idea to me! :)

17. Jim S

Chris,

I'm not a conservative guy (no ****) so I'd be glad to send you back my K-line double cut as a guinea pig.

You know, if Leo Fender had done this, then it would be acceptable.
    If Leo pranced around in a tutu and diamond slippers wtih feather sticking out of his derriere, then that would be the trend to never break either.

18. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

If I remember right, the HotRods just screw into a brass block, so you can screw them in or out some, or even extend the threads currently there to make it as short as you'd like. I had a pile here somewhere which I can't find at the moment (I'm reorganizing...LOL) or I'd check.

19. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Let's not get carried away here.

I think it's a great system, but it just doesn't work for me from an aesthetic standpoint on a vintage style instrument. I rarely need to adjust my truss rod, so I get to have the look I want without sacrificing much in the way of adjustment convenience.

As part of a more modern package, I think it looks great. It looks evolved.

20. Matt-P

Matt-P guitar maker

I've been using them for a while now and I've had nothing but positive feedback. Definitely not a vintage look, but it works great for my guitars.

[​IMG]