spontaneous nyc trip tomorrow for the weekend; what to do?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smitty.west, Mar 12, 2015.

1. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

have a relative visiting from oversees and he decided he'd like to conquer nyc this weekend so a friend and i are taking him tonight.

last time i was there was in '07. that city gives me tremendous anxiety so i tend to stay away, but have to take this bullet. i know, i know- worse ways to spend a weekend exist.

anyways, what should we do with three days there?

we prefer to take stuff in at a more leisurely pace so not looking to pack the itinerary with a dozen things a day.

were it just me going, i'd hit up katz's and all the guitar shops, but there's two other sob's going so i have to be a tad considerate.

2. ohiomatt33

ohiomatt33 Member

Subscribed. Possible NYC trip this summer.

3. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Central Park, helicopter ride around the Statue of Liberty, MoMA, MET. Lots of stuff to do.

4. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

Whatever you do, don't leave the hotel room. :aok

5. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

First, if you're the closest to NY, you are the leader. Be the ball, Danny., No anxiety allowed.

supposed to pour all weekend, so bring $3 to buy an umbrella on the corner.

Sunday afternoon:
    http://www.gothamgirlsrollerderby.com

katz's is still there, so you're good.
    or get dumplings for a buck at Vanessa's on Eldridge.

pick what you like here, sounds like a lo-fi crew, but maybe this probably light a fire:
    http://gothamist.com/2015/03/11/elite_sex_party_tix_on_sale.php

The Church (remember them?) is playing Bowery Ballroom Fri PM (I'm going).
    more shows on ohmyrockness.com

Also #1 Rangers 5PM vs Panthers for great hockey if you're so inclined.

Best bar near every subway stop:
    http://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1275684

read the voice, but use this too:
    http://www.thrillist.com/new-york

search tgp threads for nyc guitar shops, it's all there.

give us a full report on your return to wherever you're from...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  6. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

Kenn's Broome Street Bar in SoHo, near TriBeCa. Oldest building in SoHo. Used to be a brothel, was a speakeasy during Prohibition. Still a throwback to old 70s/80s New York. It will be closing soon, the family decided that the offers for the property were too high to turn down, sadly. It'll probably be a TGIFriday by Christmas.

Dinner at Osteria Al Doge, 2 blocks from Times Sqaure. Make a later reservation, at least 7, after the theater crowd is at their shows. Great Italian food and cheap (for NYC) bottles of red wine (~$35)

AOA Bar and Grill in the Hilton Garden on Ave of the Amercas in TriBeCa is very cool too. The HGI has good rates. We got $115 on Fri and Sat a month ago.

Most of my NYC trips revolve around drinking and walking.

There are also websites with musical landmarks of NYC (Electric Lady, the Dakota Building, the Physical Graffiti building) - we used to plan bar trips around seeing the places and getting a drink nearby. If you're musically-inclined, watch the NYC episode of Sonic Highways for other ideas of places to see.

7. Craig Allen

Craig Allen Member

Get a "one and one" and a cheese platter at McSorley's.

Pro tip: on the weekend, get there shortly after they open at 11 so that you can get a seat.

8. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

First off, NYC is a very safe place. Don't worry. There won't be any place that you'd go that'd be dangerous.

Suggestions include ground zero (and the museum if possible), if you like art there are several spectacular museums (gonna rain like hell tomorrow; museums may be a good spot to stay dry); live music (the Village Vanguard is the oldest and best known jazz club in NYC- http://www.villagevanguard.com/#!schedule/c1enr); food (tell me what you like and I'll tell you where to go); shopping (same for food). I really enjoyed visiting Ellis Island (Statue of Liberty you can see in pictures). Clubs of any variety you'd like.

If you have special interests, post them.

9. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

10. original07

original07 Member

Ground Zero and museum. Then what ever you want. My .02

11. cadduc

cadduc Member

a slice of pizza
    a pastrami sandwich
    and some busters (I think that is the one) cheese cake

12. enocaster

enocaster Member

13. Craig Allen

Craig Allen Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I used to work in SoHo and that was one of my go-to lunch spots. I have eaten there dozens of times, but haven't been in years. Might be time to make a final pilgrimage.

14. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I think you mean Junior's. There's one in the food section of Grand Central.

Grand Central is a truly spectacular building. If you like architecture check it out as well as the Chrysler building a block away.

15. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

It was supposed to be gone in December, as the sale went through after Kenn died. So my wife and I made a 'final pilgrimage' in October.

We were in the city last month and went to Tipping Cup next door for brunch and it was still operational.

Such a shame to see these great places go.

16. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

That is sad. Call it nostalgia, but I put a big value on living history, the real places that are still active that you can touch and smell.

So +1 for Kenn's Broome Street Bar.

Also, the Iridium, for sure.

17. Craig Allen

Craig Allen Member

It really is. Loved the pita burger and the staff and owners were always so friendly. I know the one constant in NYC is change, but the socio-economic forces that drive off old institutions like this are going to make this place into a huge strip mall one day, devoid of the uniqueness that has been attracting people here for hundreds of years. Why leave Akron to go visit a place that looks just like Akron?

18. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Hop on the Staten Island Ferry for quick round trip by the Statue of Liberty & beautiful views of the south end of Manhattan.

Evening stroll around Washington Square park & surrounds, stop by Electric Ladyland, and Cafe Asean for dinner. Catch some live jazz at the Vanguard.

If your group has even the remotest appreciation for art and/or history, visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art. IMO, the place is a national treasure.

19. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

And don't forget to spend half of a day taking a train deep into Brooklyn to go to same godforsaken hole in the wall that supposedly has the best pizza in town. This is the usual TGP party line anywayz.

Most importantly stay out of my way, tourist.

20. Craig Allen

Craig Allen Member

Allow me to translate: if you must suddenly stop to confer with your traveling companions, please move with haste to the edge of the sidewalk. Also, stay off of the sidewalks between the hours of 7 and 10 AM, and between 4 and 7 PM. Thank you for your consideration.