Spoof movies, faves, moments, actors?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Clifford-D, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I admit that I like a good spoof movie. Do you.

What are your favorites? Spoofs go way back, the Three Stooges, I Love Lucy, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World,,,

But, when Airplane came out it started a whole new way to spoof. But that's not important now, what's important is how Airplane became the model for most of the great spoof movies to follow. Police Academy, Naked Gun, Hot Shots, Scary Movie,,, they all followed the Airplane model.

So, what are your favorites, who are your favorite actors, and what are some favorite moments?

2. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Naked Gun trilogy
    Top Secret
    Loaded Weapon 1
    Hot Shots 1 & 2
    Spaceballs
    Robin Hood : Men in Tights

Favorite actor, by far, is Leslie Nielsen. His deadpan delivery and his look of utter confusion kills me.

Favorite moment : In Top Secret when you see the lines left by the plane and then the dots from the cars, Pac-Man comes out with some ghosts. Laughed for 5 min straight!

Runner-up : Spaceballs with the entire Ludicrous Speed/Video Store reprise bit.

NOTE : I really wouldn't put Police Academy in the same universe as the others you or I named. Really a C-class movie, IMHO. If Naked Gun is a Ferrari, PA is a Pinto.

pepedede and mdrake34 like this.
  3. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

By "spoofs" do you mean parody films?

lp_bruce likes this.
  4. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Oh! How could I forget about this so-stupid-it's-funny movie?

UHF!

5. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

That isn't important right now, what's important is,,,

Jamalot likes this.
  6. morlll

morlll Member

Airplane series. Over Macho Grandé, I'll never get over Macho Grandé.

7. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

is..... what? When I read your OP, I found myself asking the same question as A-Bone.

Peace,

A-Bone likes this.
  8. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

The list of movies in the OP made it quite obvious.

Jamalot likes this.
  9. headpond

headpond Member

I liked the naked gun, and loved hot shots. Charlie Sheen did a good "topper ace".

Ace Ventura: pet detective count?

10. A-Bone

I'd be tempted to agree if the OP hadn't included the Three Stooges, I Love Lucy, and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, which all strike me as fundamentally different from the films he then references (and even there, Police Academy bears almost no relation to the other films, which are more realized genre parodies).

65DuoSonic and lp_bruce like this.
  11. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

The OP refrenced two movies, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and Airplane. I'm not aware that the first is a parody. He also referenced the Three Stooges and I Love Lucy. The former did some parody and I'm not sure whether the latter did or not.

Hence my question.

Peace,

65DuoSonic and A-Bone like this.
  12. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

The line "Police Academy, Naked Gun, Hot Shots, Scary Movie,,, they all followed the Airplane model." gave a good indication of the type of movies he's looking for people to comment on ; slapstick parodies.

Another in this vein, for instance, would be Wrongfully Accused, a Leslie Nielsen movie parodying Harrison Ford's The Fugitive.

13. A-Bone

In terms of parody films, Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein along with Zucker-Abrams-Zucker's Airplane! set the bar pretty high. Among more recent films, Walk Hard manages to similarly combine a sincere affection for the genre with often ingenuous skewering of the tropes and cliches, which is far less true of the Wayans films or the Hot Shots films.

One thing I've noticed in the wake of Airplane! is the frequency with which the filmmakers fail to follow through on maintaining the conventions of the genre while also poking fun at it.

Blue Light, 65DuoSonic and lp_bruce like this.
  14. A-Bone

That's the thing, though, the Police Academy series really isn't particularly like Airplane!

lp_bruce likes this.
  15. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Exactly how is I Love Lucy anything like Scary Movie?

Confused,

A-Bone likes this.
  16. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

If we are talking about actual parodies, I think Young Frankenstein is at or near the top. This is Spinal Tap is a parody of sorts and pretty great. I think The Princess Bride is also a parody of sorts as well and also pretty great.

Peace,

Tom CT, 65DuoSonic and A-Bone like this.
  17. A-Bone

True. In a sense, mockumentaries are invariably parodies of straight documentaries, with This Is Spinal Tap more specifically a parody of the "band documentary."

65DuoSonic and lp_bruce like this.
  18. A-Bone

Agreed. What that film has that places it at the top of the heap is a fully realized atmosphere, combined with palpable, genuine affection for the source material. And it is also pretty damned hilarious.

Kentano2000 and lp_bruce like this.
  19. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Indeed. Best in Show is another that is (to my mind) funny and on point. My wife was deeply involved in that scene as a teen, as was one of my aunts, and they both tell me that movie is a pretty spot on parody of that scene. And while I wasn't involved in the 60s folk scene, I love and appreciate A Mighty Wind. If for no other reason, the songs are great and authentic.

Peace,

Kentano2000, Blue Light and A-Bone like this.
  20. A-Bone

And, weirdly, the one Guest misfire so far is the one set in the world of film acting and Hollywood, For Your Consideration. It's kind of interesting that both that film and Tropic Thunder seem comparatively false when talking about the industry and awards. I don't know if they're too close to the subject matter, or what.