Spoon Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Hot Rats, Jun 25, 2014.

1. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/segments/9741

After listening to the record like five times all the way thru……It's awesome.

What's amazing about this band is that every one of the last 6 (!!!) albums has been extremely solid. I've tended to pick whichever album came out latest as a favorite. Transference underwhelmed me for a bit, but now i listen to it far more then any of the other ones. Gimme Fiction, which at the time i thought was just ridiculous, has sort of settled in behind GaGaGaGaGa. New one, after a couple listens, seemed like it was going to just be an average one, cool but not classic maybe. But damn it's already worked it's way in there…Especially Do You and Knock Knock.

And hey, Britt's rocking a Fano on Fallon. Maybe he went across the hall and stole it from Armisen….

cheers

2. aaronblues

3. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Got tickets to see them in September. New album is short but there's some quality Spoon jams on there. They Want My Soul, outlier, the whole second half is really excellent. And of course I wore out Do You and Rent I Pay before it came out.

Will we get another Divine Fits record someday or is that to unlikely now that Spoon is back?

4. Hot Rats

Hot Rats Member

Hey I remember this thread! I concur, the new album is fantastic (shocking!), especially on (white!) vinyl. I was a little nervous about Dave Friedman trying to turn Spoon into the Flaming Lips or Tame Impala but things only get distorted on a couple of tracks. This will hold it's own in an already ridiculously stellar catalog. They are steadily rising in the ranks of my all-time favorite bands with each release. Nicely done gents.

5. jayn

jayn Member

Great band - def one of the most consistently good/interesting bands out there.

6. QQQ

QQQ Silver Supporting Member

Great band! Going to the show tonight at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

7. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Nice to see a little TGP love for Spoon, these guys have been putting out great album after great album for years. I'm a big fan - have all of their albums and I've seen them live more times than I can remember. At any rate, the new album is damn good all around. After several listens, I think it might be their best yet.

8. kush06

kush06 Member

They're from Austin originally. I used to work with Britt Daniel - he did music for video games at a company called Origin before the band took off.

9. jondanger

jondanger Member

I really need to check the new record out. I was in a band that used to cover "The Fitted Shirt." We did it as a gimmick song, I sang without playing guitar and during the instrumental break I turned my back to the crowd and put on and tucked in a button down long sleeve dress shirt. Pretty fun!

It's crazy how these guys just don't put out a bad record. Might be a couple dud tracks, but every record has at least 5 or 6 real gems.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  10. hudpucker

hudpucker Member

Love this guitar tone:

11. aaronblues

Killer, all around. My idea of a guitar tone = 6:40 mark.

cheers

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  12. Hot Rats

Hot Rats Member

^^^^Just watched this....fantastic. Love the version of Small Stakes.^^^

13. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member

I didn't expect to see a Spoon thread on TGP. Great band, and I'm loving the new album! Read a cool interview with Britt on Reddit recently, it had some cool info in it.

14. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Central Park
    September 09

Probably a today show thing.

15. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I've been digesting this new record. The only other one I own is Transference.

I dig the vibe and the songs. I'm a little put off by the over-saturation of seemingly EVERY signal. I understand what they're going for, but it seems kind of gimmicky to just drive everything into the board to the point of distortion. I don't know that it's not as much of a crutch as auto-tune or any other studio trickery. Not sure why I feel that way. Maybe it's because the album sounds that way, but it would be relatively impossible to get that kind of sound live. I know that bands have been deviating from their live sound in the studio for a million years, but for some reason with an adult indie band it bothers me more. :D

16. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

I always considered em good, but a blog rock type flash in the pan... didn't realize they were still together and that they had way more than the three singles (The way we get by, The Underdog, and I turn my camera on) and as many albums as they do.

17. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

I heard some of it on Sound Opinions the other day. Seems worth checking out.

18. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

i saw them at a small club in tucson about 10 years ago...i think it was 5 dollars

dude was playing a ventura guitar! sounded great, btw