Spot on Klon clone for under $100??

tHeY dOn't HaVe ThE cOrReCt DiOdEs

spongebob

THeMoG

I'm not sure if you will get a dead-on copy of a Klon for under $100, but you can get pretty close.
You could try the MXR Sugar Drive, cheap and easy to find used :aok

chankgeez

As an overbroad generalization: the less you spend, the farther away from an actual Klon it'll sound. :dunno

modal-wool

Silver Supporting Member
BYOC Silver Pony is darn good. If you can solder it's like 60 bucks. I think you can buy a pre-built one for around 100. Would bet money it's better than the MXR sugar drive or EHX soul food, the only two klones I know of that retail sub $100

Swijak

I bought a used EHX Soul Food for $60 as my Klone entry point. While it has been replaced on my board with other pedals (Archer, OxBlood) I'm keeping it. It is a good pedal regardless of price. From clean to lower gain tones this pedal will hold it's own against more expensive pedals as the diodes only start getting invoked as the gain gets rolled in. Even at higher gain settings this pedal sounds really good and is well built.

I have not tried the MXR Sugar Drive (yet) as mentioned earlier but that looks(?) like it would work as well. Good luck and report back with what you settled on!

Some people don't like the slight bass cut and mid boost that a Klon-style circuit provides but for me the Klones was the first pedal that really got me the sound I was hearing in my head for lead tones (Strat->fender amps).

Leftyman

Gold Supporting Member
The Mosky Chinese clones sound really good. I compared them to some more expensive clones and actually liked the Mosky better. They make a gold and a silver. they were so cheap, I purchased both but like the silver better.

Slideman

I really like the Way Huge Conspiracy Theory but I think it's $130 new.
I've had one....and it sounded excellent...although it had a background hiss I wasn't fond of. As an aesthetic aside, I think this would have looked great in a larger WH enclosure.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
Find a used Tumnus or Way Huge Conspiracy Theory. I had the Sugar Drive and it didn’t do it for me. The Soul Food is cool, it just doesn’t sound as close to a more accurate Klone. The Tumnus or Conspiracy Theory should get you there.

jellyghost

Some people don't like the slight bass cut and mid boost that a Klon-style circuit provides but for me the Klones was the first pedal that really got me the sound I was hearing in my head for lead tones (Strat->fender amps).
I have a uk builders take on the Klon and its worked great on every amp that has a nice edge of breakup but then starts to get muddy when pushed further on its own. A klon let’s the amp go further and stay nice. It seems to have all the right frequencies in the right place for the job and brings out some extra harmonics without adding much of it’s own colour. It just works.

I haven’t used any other klon pedals but much like the rat clones I imagine they all sound much pretty spot-on.

I don’t want to say it’s a “must have” but while it’s not permanently on my board I’d never be without one in my collection.

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
Buddy Blues/youtube just did a (blind to the viewer) comparison between a real Klon, a Refractor, and a Wish/Chinese cheap klone. Sorta interesting, although he only used a humbucker guitar, which is kinda not how i wanted to hear it and kinda isn't what i like his playing for... but you might get a sense of how they rate. I'll just say that it completely turned me off of one of them.

Oh, here's the one from yesterday:

And here's his older version:

And then the Andertons shootout:

I think the overall point is that you may not actually want a "spot on" clone, or if you do, you probably aren't going to get it for 'cheap,' and even Bill F's KTRs may not even sound exactly the same as the old original (which sample?).

Robv571

Silver Supporting Member
Not under $100 but I have seen him discount them to $109 before. I have the Critter Classic CFR & it's my favorite OD at the moment.
this is the 1 I have...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom