Spray amber?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by NoahL, Feb 1, 2015.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

Have an aftermarket Tele neck that I want to give a fairly deep, orangish amber tint to, just on the front of the headstock. What's the most economical way? I guess a semi-gloss finish is what I want.

2. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

A can of Reranch neck amber and clear gloss nitro will run under 45$ shipped an d is very easy to do. If you do some research I think there are even cheaper options. Maybe a stain and Tru oil would be another economical route.

3. NoahL

NoahL Member

Gosh, that's sensible. I've got plenty of stain lying around from the old days. I'll see if one gives me the tint I want. Thank you.

4. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

5. bootsypratt

bootsypratt Member

Zinnser Amber Shellac might do the trick, and shellac is very friendly with other finishes.

I got a neck that I'm going to do in this shellac and go over with Tru Oil, but the face will be lacquer.

6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

My complaint with most amber sprays is they come out very yellow. (Reranch and Stew Mac) I used formbys/min wax rubbed oil finish on a couple guitars recently. I just brushed it on with a small foam brush. It leveled really well and about 3 coats looks amazing. Looks sprayed. You might try that ....
    The other thing about Lacquer is it can be pretty frustrating. I've been 5 coats into a lacquer job, using the same can and prep work only to have the next coat have problems, fisheyes, wrinkles etc. Other times it's been fine. Go Fig... the other potential is "sticky" lacquer. Even Gibson has this problem. Had a brand new Gibson Howard Roberts in about 2005. Kept it two years and it never became "unsticky" feeling. Drove me crazy on the neck.

7. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Best way is to get a prevail or the like, use transtint golden brown. On maple, it gets a nice orangy-amber thing going on.