• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Spring Chicken, Topanga or Faux Spring?

Or anything else? Discuss.

Had a Flint on my "to get" list for awhile but as many on this board seem to feel am not a fan of the spring reverb setting on that pedal (love pretty much everything else though when I tried one).

So if you're looking for a solid spring sound, what would you go for?

cbickford84

Silver Supporting Member
I havent played the other two, but I can't imagine anything topping the Topanga. It sounds great.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I've had all three, and many others, and I would go with the Topanga.

cbickford84

Silver Supporting Member
To the OP, your going to get people who prefer each, so just get whichever one you think will suit you best. They all sound good.

King Rat

Spring Chicken = major volume drop.

Topanga is my preference.
True.

Spring chicken is absolute garbage...

When it's on (minimum setting) you have an instant volume drop.

And as you turn the reverb up, you get get more of a drop of your dry signal... and the reverb is not that nice to begin with.

There are lots of great options out there.

jAcKoFsPeEd

Mad Professor Silver Spring.....doesn't have the take it or leave it preamp like the Topanga which may or may not affect your tone, for the worse or for the better.

scott1568

I'm really anxious to try the Boss FRV-1 as I am looking for a less expensive Fender Reverb tank option. I have tried several other reverbs and have not found one that can actually achieve a real 60's surf tone if that is what is needed. All the other pedals that I have tried kind of lose it when trying to get a deep "whip" type reverb.

deadlands

I have a tank and I think the Topanga actually sounds closer than the FRV-1. The only thing that the FRV-1 has over the Topanga is that it has more drip than the Topanga.

But either of those will get you closer to the tank sound than anything else. None of the Belkin brick based pedals (Surf Rider, Spring Chicken, Silver Spring, etc ... ) can achieve the splashy-ness of a tank. The can sound really good, but won't replace a tank.

scott1568

I have a tank and I think the Topanga actually sounds closer than the FRV-1. The only thing that the FRV-1 has over the Topanga is that it has more drip than the Topanga.

But either of those will get you closer to the tank sound than anything else. None of the Belkin brick based pedals (Surf Rider, Spring Chicken, Silver Spring, etc ... ) can achieve the splashy-ness of a tank. The can sound really good, but won't replace a tank.
Right, if I can get like 90% of the way there, I would rather do the pedal than the tank, less expensive, less stage room required, less to load-in to the venue.

But you are right, the real Fender tank is king.

Trending Topics