1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Spring Reverb Shielding

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ekp, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ekp

ekp Member

Spring reverbs were a problem for years, when I was prototyping amps. I solved that problem by putting the reverb guts into a steel tube and then putting that in a pocket in the cab. The tube shielded the magnetic fields and the pocket reduced the soundwaves.

But recently, I decided to shield standard tanks. And some interest in the shields prompted me to make ones for the long tanks as well.

To test the shields, I made a huge electromagnet and tested the tanks with and without shields. One of the seven tanks I tested (Accutronics and Mod) did work properly without a shield, but the others really needed a shield to lower the hum.

The shields cover the open side of the reverb tank and consequently reduce the access that soundwaves have to the springs. There is still slight access via the cracks. But they can be sealed with some caulk or tape if needed.

The grommets that the tank stands on poke through the shield, so that feature is not compromised.

Have a great day, Eric

2. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Cool !!! :D

Care to share some pictures? :D

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Isn't any metal tank with a ground connection shielded?

4. ekp

ekp Member

NO and Sort of. A true shield completely encloses. If the shield is made of magnetic material, such as steel, then the magnetic field is conducted around what is enclosed, namely the magnetic structures of the reverb. For electric fields, then the shield needs to be conductive, between the reverb and electric field source, and grounded.

What these shields do is give the reverb tank the needed sixth side. That then provides the magnetic path around the reverb magnetic structures and provides an electric shield from the sixth side.

Have a great day, Eric