Spring reverb!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by soulrebel83, Feb 4, 2012.

1. soulrebel83

soulrebel83 Member

Okay I love that drippy spring reverb sound. I love analog sound. So my question is, anyone out there try a spring unit (like the sole-mate jr) AND a pedal version? Anyone with experience with the new Spring theory reverb and can it get close to the real deal? I do like the sound of the spring chicken but they are hard to get.

2. brandnewzo

brandnewzo Member

I don't have any experience with it, but the Spring Theory sounds really, really good by what I've heard.

3. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

I really want a spring theory, can't wait till I have the dough!

4. wyatt3

wyatt3 Trem-Verb-Vibe, The 3 Kings Silver Supporting Member

Here's a pretty thorough demo of the Spring Theory.

I love reverb too, and I really like this one.
    Of course, the Reverb (wet) signal is DSP(digital), but the dry signal is analog.

I was looking at both the Sole-Mate, and the Reverbulator, but I liked how The Spring Theory can go much further with the duration than a real spring unit.

Definitely the most authentic spring reverb I have heard, in a small pedal.

I also like the Dr. Scientist RRR, but no spring, just hall, plate, and room.

5. soulrebel83

soulrebel83 Member

Thanks for the vid. Yeah it definitely sounds good but it's hard to say until you actually try the gear on your amps. I've just noticed that when I've got a really lush tone going then soon as i put a digital effect in the chain (well not ALL digital effects) it just quashes it. Choices! I should just buy both :p

6. Socrates

Socrates Member

Just get a Spring Theory and stop over-thinking it. I have one and it will do what you're looking for incredibly well.

7. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

That sounds incredible! I love how the spring settings has a nice slap back quality to it.

8. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

Is there still no small spring reverb pedal with an expression pedal input other than the Spring Chicken?

9. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

Faux Spring Reverb. Have it in the loop of my Carol-Ann OD 50 with an El Capistan and think I'm done looking.

Have a Fulltone TTE, a green Echoplex and 1963 brown Fender reverb tank, that sound fantastic in the loop, but the tape loop and reverb make for a bunch of big boxes and cables and manipulation...so I needed a simpler alternative that sounds great.

Listened to some youtube demos, saw that Vince Gil (an admirable player with great ears/tone) used one, and took a flier. Good stuff...very musical sounding. I would never play with that huge "surf" reverb sound nor do I spend time with big atmospherics, so some of the more radical amongst you will need to explore the Wampler form that perspective, but in a jazz/blues/classic rock framework, it does great!

That Subdecay sounds good, too. Guitar players have huge optionality when it comes to gear today...head spinning if you get too obsessed.

10. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

im no pedantic tone hound but the spring theory just sounds like a spring tank.

11. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

Isn't it supposed to?

12. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I was typing on a phone an got lazy. I was trying to say it sounds like a real spring tank whereas earlier pedals of mine (holiest grail, RV-5) clearly sounded like a stimulation.

13. soulrebel83

soulrebel83 Member

14. waters

waters Member

The Spring Theory does sound very stimulating indeed.

15. 5cent

5cent Member

the hardwire reverb sounds amazingly like a real spring tank. i've fooled *many* engineers with it.

16. jpervin

jpervin Member

The stereo WET reverb is small, can do spring reverb and has expression inputs for both mix and depth controls.

17. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

The WET can do spring reverb?

18. wyatt3

wyatt3 Trem-Verb-Vibe, The 3 Kings Silver Supporting Member

The Wet reverb is one of the most beautiful sounding pedals I have ever owned.
    The new Stereo Wet has 2 expression pedal inputs for unheard of, real time control, in a reverb pedal.
    But the Wet is not a spring reverb emulation effect in the same vain as the Spring Theory.
    I don't even know what words to use to describe the Wet except unique, and beautiful, and I think it would be the last pedal I would sell off, if I had to liquidate my gear.
    But "sounds like a real spring reverb" are words I would never use to describe the Wet.

19. Jove

Jove Member

I gig with a 64 Fender tank and have to say that the Boss FRV-1 makes for an excellent backup and I have used it on sessions in replacement of the tank with great results. There is definitely some magic with the old tank, but I wouldn't hesitate to give the Boss a try if Spring Reverb is what you're after.

J

20. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer Silver Supporting Member

Don't forget the Solid Gold FX Surf Rider! That ended my search for spring reverb in a pedal, and I did a ton of research.