Spruce/Mahogany electrics

Hipster Dofus

I played a PRS AT Spruce for years. I loved that guitar. Deep lows, top end sparkle, and warm midrange. I think the best tone I have had with that guitar was with an early Matchless Clubman set about 1/2 way up.

It was very comfy in the Blues or even droped D stuff like AIC's.

artandink

I have several Spruce-top electrics, and one more being built by USACG.

Here's my take.

Fender Chambered Spruce over Ash with custom Rosewood over Mahogany board Tele. DeTemple Alnico II pups. My most eye-turning guitar (not visually, but aurally). Resonant, sweet attack, subdued bridge shrill. The combo of Ash and Spruce gives you the tight bottom end and liveliness from Ash and the sweetness of Spruce.

*Joe - you heard this guitar at the NGW's night out at Black Ey'ed.

Three Bakers:

Robben Ford - Chambered Spruce over Alder with Ebony over Maple neck. The Chambered body adds to the acoustic liveliness and the Ebony board adds a little snap and sizzle to the Spruce over Alder. A '59 SD in the neck and a Custom 5 in the rear, gives me a nice jangly rhythm and beefy lead.

RF Junior (BJC)- Chambered Spruce over Mahogany with Ebony over Mahogany neck. SD Jazz up front and Pearly Gates in the back. Except for the bridge pup (more sizzle), this guitar sounds very similar to the B1 Ford. Although, a touch brighter acoustically than the B1 Ford (splitting hairs).

Super B Hollow-body Spruce over Mahogany with Ebony board over Mahogany neck. Tom Holmes pups. I never take this out so I cannot give a stage assessment. At bedroom levels; a magical and harmonious agreement of sweetness, resonance, sustain and tonal separation when you strum a chord. Not too warm, not too bright (tastes great, less filling). I wish I felt comfortable taking this out to open mics.

USACG Thinline/Deluxe Tele (currently being built) - Spruce over Hollow-body Ash body (one f-hole) with Rosewood over Mahogany neck. Other specs: Two Fralin P92s, vintage hardtail bridge, Vol/Tone and 4-way control. Assessment will have to wait.

BTW - HEY JOE - I have a video clip of you playing the Hamer Spruce-top, do you want me to post it? :Devil

hollowbody

The Grosh set neck has a much thicker spruce top than the one on a PRS Archtop. It's much more like the top of a "real" archtop.

artandink

hollowbody said:
The Grosh set neck has a much thicker spruce top than the one on a PRS Archtop. It's much more like the top of a "real" archtop.

Hey Paul,

Real beaut you have there.

Are you still in CT?

Clorenzo

Never played one (I wish) but the Benedetto Benny is chambered mahogany with a spruce top. I was going to give a link to Benedetto's page but it seems to be down at the moment. Here's a picture I found somewhere else:

george4908

Silver Supporting Member
Here's my Nickerson Skylark:

http://snipurl.com/10ph4

Carved spruce top over a hollow, flat-backed mahogany body, mahogany/ebony neck and a Gibson '57 Classic. Soundpost under the bridge, but otherwise fully hollow. Just a tad larger than a Les Paul, and a superb lightweight jazz guitar. Unfortunately, Brad Nickerson no longer builds.

I've played two solid bodies (apparently, unless they were chambered) that were carved spruce over mahogany with maple necks and P-90s, and in both cases they were superb. It must be acombination that just works. One was a Baker, the other was a small builder whose name I don't even know. I've thought of custom ordering something in that combination.

Trending Topics