Spruce Tele build complete

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by daddyo, Jul 15, 2006.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

First guitar build
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

USA Custom chambered T body in swamp ash and stitka spruce top, tummy cut, cream binding, comfort heel, rear route
    USA Custom T neck maple/maple, 1 3/4 nut, stainless frets, 63C profile
    Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge abd Alnico Pro II neck pups
    4 way switch, CTS cryo pots, 047 cap
    Callaham vintage bridge, stainless neckplates, jack, ferrules, etc
    Schaller locking tuners
    Nitro finish body with no sanding sealer, hand rubbed with rottenstone and beeswax.
    Tung oil neck

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

That is a great looking guitar. Great choice of parts as well. I bet it sounds killer. Maybe others would disagree with me, and I'm certainly not saying that you didn't put in a good deal of work rubbing out the finish, wiring the electronics, and doing the setup, but I'm not sure that when you use a manufactured neck and body that it qualifies as a "build." Maybe I'm just being a jerk. Sorry if I am.

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

OK, assembly and finish. It does sound great. The bridge is serious country and the neck is trad tele but a bit darker due to the hollow body and top. The 2 position, both pups in parallel is a great chimey full sound and 5, both pups in series is a very loud, ballsy humbuckerish sound. The guitar is what you'd expect for clean sounds, but through a slightly overdriven amp, the thing comes alive. The bridge is slightly microphonic so that really adds to the tele raunch.I was a bit challenged cutting my first nut, but bone is nice because it cuts evenly and slowly. I'm a tad tight on the low E but it only buzzes if you really twang it hard. I learned a lot so I'll be better on the next assembly and finish :D

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

Very nice! That is real purty!

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Thank you :)

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Personally, I don't care whether you "built" it or "assembled" it. That's one nice guitar you have there!

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Your not being a jerk.........your just expressing an opinion. But you are wrong. Dead wrong. There are different levels of a build. You can take the very same parts and give it to a pro and a novice and you will have 2 different guitars. Selecting all those parts of wood and metal and Putting them together (essentially building an instrument) definitely qualifies as a build.

Many Pros buy quality made parts such as Pickups and bridges. Even Fretted Necks and add their personal touches.

Very nice BUILD ! [​IMG]

8. Tinman

Tinman Member

Yes. Cutting the nut is not an easy job, and it is so crucial for a good set up. Well done.

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Putting a guitar together is not for the faint of heart....or for anyone lacking in talent and mostly, patience.

Nice job man, that guit looks great!

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I owe my success to two things: Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide." It really helps the first timer; and StewMac's tool selection. I bought the correct fret files, nut marking guage, and diamond fret file.

11. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Nice job. Beautiful 'bear claw' top.

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I should, of course, thank Rob and the folks at USA Custom Guitar in Puyallup, Wa. The neck and fret job was deal level and everything just fit perfect. All I did was use a dremel and a bit of polishing compound on the frets and rub some 220 sandpaper here and there on the body - it really didn't need anymore sanding.

13. artandink

artandink Member

Spruce over Ash is a great combo. I bet it just kills.:AOK

14. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Just curious.........Whats a "bear claw" Top?

15. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

Rottenstone and Beeswax finishing! I first heard of rottenstone as a finishing medium in 1966 and have wondered about it ever since. OBTW Your Tele build is stunning!
    Thanks for the look,
    Rob

16. Tinman

Tinman Member

Dead wrong? Ouch! I was reluctant to make my initial post because I didn't want to minimize daddyo's accomplishment. I know exactly how much work went into what he did and it is substantial. The man certainly deserves a hearty congrats and he should be proud of the work he did. The guitar looks good enough to eat. I guess I assume (dead wrongfully) that when someone says they built a guitar that there was some sawdust flyin' or some wood shavings on the floor.

17. Tinman

Tinman Member

Rottenstone is also a great way to quickly fill the pores when you are French polishing.

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Hey at thanksgiving I make Apple Pie and Pumkin pie.........Just becuase I buy the fruit canned does it mean I didn't Bake it? I still mixed the ingredients to my taste , and baked it.

Your assumption of sawdust flying is just that.........your assumption. I'm guessing the many wrench turners here that have built engines for their cars did nothing of the sort becuase they didn't Cast and mold the The Block? [​IMG]

19. Tinman

Tinman Member

I don't know man... If I don't see pumpkin shells on the floor...

Just kidding. You're right. Peace. Now lets talk about that spruce beauty!

20. Tinman

Tinman Member

Hey daddyo,

Is that what I've seen called "bear-claw" spruce with those rays running through the grain?