• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Sputnik III!

HH1978

So...

reviving this just to say stacking a Saturn V into the Sputnik 3 with the calibrate at around 11 (darker, a little more mids maybe?), gain at noon, switch to the right (or left honestly it sounds great in both) is heaven. The V brightens it back up slightly and man it’s killer.
I will have to try that. I've always had the Saturn V just after the fuzz section. Works very well too. That said, while a fuzz into another fuzz is generally not the best idea, I tried boosting the Sputnik with the Sunface, and it works like a charm. Probably 2 good reasons : the transformer (inductor) at the input of the Sputnik, and the amazingly low noise floor of the Sunface.

I have the Standard - and love it. But I do have the opportunity for a Purple Sparkle or Meteor. Is it worth it for a hand-wired one? I could get a Mission Control.
I'm with Urquill on this. The Mission Control will be a bigger extension of your sound palette. But if you have to get a limited Sputnik and already have the standard, then get the meteor because of the different transistors. I have a purple and haven't personnally tried the standard. But most of those who have played both seem to say they sound identical.

The circuit is what it is, you will have some variance from unit to unit due to parts tolerance, but in my experience of the Sputnik III and homemade clones of the Sputnik I and II (x2), there's a unmistakable "Sputnik sound" in all of them, much stronger than the marginal variances. The II has more EQ options, and the III has its drift circuit tuned differently (better, from my point of view), but the core sounds are the same. So getting a different version of the III you've already have is probably not giving you a much different sound (though the meteor might be an exception to that, as noted above).

hippieboy

Silver Supporting Member
I know I'm super late to the party, it's finally here though!

First impressions: My rock side loves it with all its heart, super fun, this pedal begs to be played loud and dirty!! I only played it for 15 min (I'm working at the moment) but first impressions are great! I recorded a little clip if anyone is still interested! :)

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
about this one I remain uncertain. contrarian? It has a very interesting feel that I like, encouraging of softness in touch. the drift switch, I love it and it's easy and fun . but ~ anyway. i want tu coot doon n dooplication-ion-ion in the cooleckticon-icon-icon and some time switching between this and the GemIV is going to be informative. oh well, trying to thinking about it at quill's house sounded like this tonight

(sorry about the noise level :facepalm

Last edited:

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
oh man I just can't decide about this thing. taking a little time this evening to see if I could get close to the really nice base fuzz of the SIII with GIV, and, no, I couldn't - of course not, they both go in different directions and don't even start in the same place - which surprised me, I thought there'd be the possibility of some similarity between the Ge side of GIV and SIII, but - not a bit, and waaaay more gain in the GIV

but, the SIII fuzz is maybe more dynamic

anyway after giving up on that I just fooled around with the Drift side. I've only recently started trying to work with oscillating fuzzes so apologies if the first attempt to dig in is pretty cliché ~ i had the pedal sitting beside me and was tuning it while/inbetween playing and, well, first, the switches are great, and second, just beginning to discover the potential for oscillation skillz, ya? careful with this one, listening for the full 2 1/2 minutes might lead to a wonky-wobbly something-around-440Hz stuck in your ear - tried to break the oscillating up a bit

>>> haven't seen a number of the faithfuls for a good while, I hope everyone is ok

hippieboy

Silver Supporting Member
oh man I just can't decide about this thing. taking a little time this evening to see if I could get close to the really nice base fuzz of the SIII with GIV, and, no, I couldn't - of course not, they both go in different directions and don't even start in the same place - which surprised me, I thought there'd be the possibility of some similarity between the Ge side of GIV and SIII, but - not a bit, and waaaay more gain in the GIV

anyway after giving up on that I just fooled around with the Drift side. I've only recently started trying to work with oscillating fuzzes so apologies if the first attempt to dig in is pretty cliché ~ i had the pedal sitting beside me and was tuning it while/inbetween playing and, well, first, the switches are great, and second, just beginning to discover the potential for oscillation skillz, ya? careful with this one, listening for the full 2 1/2 minutes might lead to a wonky-wobbly something-around-440Hz stuck in your ear - tried to break the oscillating up a bit

>>> haven't seen a number of the faithfuls for a good while, I hope everyone is ok
Nice, I like the first Idea on your audio, chords and then lead with drift. cool

Blue-moon

Silver Supporting Member
I used to have an original red Sputnik and stupidly sold it. I tried the Sputnik III and it is just not the same. Seemed darker. Muddier than the original. Higher noise floor. Tried both the standard version and a limited version. I finally was able to pick up another original Sputnik (olive drab) and it sounds glorious--more clarity, less noise, more bite. Not saying the Sputnik III is not good. But it is not the same. Not even close.

Anyone else feel the same way?

johnetone

I used to have an original red Sputnik and stupidly sold it. I tried the Sputnik III and it is just not the same. Seemed darker. Muddier than the original. Higher noise floor. Tried both the standard version and a limited version. I finally was able to pick up another original Sputnik (olive drab) and it sounds glorious--more clarity, less noise, more bite. Not saying the Sputnik III is not good. But it is not the same. Not even close.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Yeah, the OG circuit is pretty awesome! I prefer the way the III standard I have works in a lot of ways even though they’re not the same thing. However, the III is a lot closer in voicing to the I than the II. I think it’s cuz they share a similar filter section. I guess for me the III feels more versatile than the I. And it’s a nice progression from the II which I felt was a bit too hifi and smooth.

Blue-moon

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, the OG circuit is pretty awesome! I prefer the way the III standard I have works in a lot of ways even though they’re not the same thing. However, the III is a lot closer in voicing to the I than the II. I think it’s cuz they share a similar filter section. I guess for me the III feels more versatile than the I. And it’s a nice progression from the II which I felt was a bit too hifi and smooth.
I assume a lot of it has to do with the transistors used between the OG, II and III.

johnetone

I assume a lot of it has to do with the transistors used between the OG, II and III.
I think it has more to do with the transformer and it’s associated circuitry along with the different filter sections. The transistors in all three versions are not very hard to source.

Slevin

Silver Supporting Member
I will have to try that. I've always had the Saturn V just after the fuzz section. Works very well too. That said, while a fuzz into another fuzz is generally not the best idea, I tried boosting the Sputnik with the Sunface, and it works like a charm. Probably 2 good reasons : the transformer (inductor) at the input of the Sputnik, and the amazingly low noise floor of the Sunface.

I'm with Urquill on this. The Mission Control will be a bigger extension of your sound palette. But if you have to get a limited Sputnik and already have the standard, then get the meteor because of the different transistors. I have a purple and haven't personnally tried the standard. But most of those who have played both seem to say they sound identical.

The circuit is what it is, you will have some variance from unit to unit due to parts tolerance, but in my experience of the Sputnik III and homemade clones of the Sputnik I and II (x2), there's a unmistakable "Sputnik sound" in all of them, much stronger than the marginal variances. The II has more EQ options, and the III has its drift circuit tuned differently (better, from my point of view), but the core sounds are the same. So getting a different version of the III you've already have is probably not giving you a much different sound (though the meteor might be an exception to that, as noted above).
After multiple placements I’ve got to say I liked the Saturn after the sputnik more

Blue Bee

Yeah real nice clip, musical, industrial, ... Great use of the oscillating feature, it sure gave me inspiration to wanna go pull my Sputnik iii out and play with that oscillating foot switch. It’s my only fuzz...

Blue Bee

I know I'm super late to the party, it's finally here though!

First impressions: My rock side loves it with all its heart, super fun, this pedal begs to be played loud and dirty!! I only played it for 15 min (I'm working at the moment) but first impressions are great! I recorded a little clip if anyone is still interested! :)

Sounding good! Cool to see you finally got yours in, sure took a while

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah real nice clip, musical, industrial, ... Great use of the oscillating feature, it sure gave me inspiration to wanna go pull my Sputnik iii out and play with that oscillating foot switch. It’s my only fuzz...
Thank you for your very kind post! I think it’s a good choice for one’s only fuzz - lots of range and full of useful possibilities.

Trending Topics