Square neck resonator

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by bogdan101, Jan 20, 2015.

1. bogdan101

bogdan101 Member

I feel a strange urge to try one of these; what are the good ones under 700 or so?

2. Robert Sands

Robert Sands Member

Gold Tone Paul Beard is good. Around $825 I believe. But you need to spend money to get a really fine instrument. If you go too cheap there's a chance that a lower priced instrument will bum you out and you will not keep going. I have a Beard Mahogany R and it's an awesome Dobro. They sell for $2700 but soooo worth it. I've played the Gold Tone and I would suggest at least that level of instrument.

3. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I played a Regal Black Lightning at a friend's house and was pleasantly surprised; it sounded good and played well. It didn't put out tons of volume, but was of much better quality than I expected from a $500 squareneck.

4. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

My friend who plays square neck swears by Paul Beard.

5. celticelk

celticelk Member

The buzz about the new Gretsch resonators has been pretty good.

6. dmvksv

dmvksv Member

I have a round neck Gretsch resonator and highly recommend them. There is a video on the Gretsch website showing someone playing an assortment of instruments from their Roots Collection. The square neck resonator is the highlight reel. They start around $360

7. Oboe Cadobro

Oboe Cadobro Member

I played one last year, and it was surprisingly good for the money. The tone is very mellow and doesn't have much volume, so I don't recommend it for jamming with others (like banjos), but it plays quite well in tune, so if you want an inexpensive entry into squarenecks, it's hard to beat the Gretsch.

Very good guitar for the money, and is arguably the best of the imports in that price range with good sound and volume.

Why, yes I do! :aok

In fact, I'm expecting delivery of one of these in a couple weeks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKo-75Y5h5g

...however, with a price tag of about 7X what the OP is looking to spend...:)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015