squeaky tte?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tiltrite, Sep 24, 2005.

1. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Just got my fulltone tte and the tape is pretty squeaky/noisy going through the unit. It seems to work fine and sound fine otherwise.

Anyone else with a squeaky tte? Any ideas on how to remedy?

2. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

Yep, I bought a used one recently and it was working very well. But I also ordered a replacement tape, and after I had changed the tape it became a little squeaky. As you say, it doesnt seem to have any effect on the output, but the squeak is a little annoying.

The problem seems to be with the cartridge itself...I'm hoping it will break in after a few uses and the squeak will go away. Any others with these experiences?

3. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Yes, it seems to be the cartridge itself. I'm going to order a new one and see if that helps.

Maybe there's a way to 'lube' the cartridge, but that sounds kind of risky. I'd hate to gum up my new tte.

4. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

What do you guys think of the TTE? Is it worth the scratch? I've owned the moogerfooger, SIB, and maxon vintage delay and have always wanted something warmer and fatter sounding

5. telebuck

I also have a Maxon AD-9 which is a really nice analog delay, but the TTE goes well beyond that in terms of fatness and vibe. The mechanics of the tape just add a detuned or warble that the analog doesnt quite get.

On the squeak issue, I emailed TTE support today and got a quick reply...

"Yes, it could be a "break-in" issue. Please keep running the TTE with the tape for several hours and let us know. Also please make sure the tape is traveling on proper path."

I'll update with the results.

6. ricoh

ricoh Member

I had the opposite happen. The tape started out quiet and then got squeeky. Did not make any difference -w- the sound. These
    tapes don't shed as nearly much as the old EP ones. To me, the TTE is worth the price of admission. Great sound and really fat. Something about tape echo as compared to a box is better to me. The tube path just makes it that much better. Take it to the gig too. Soon I'm going to de-mag it.

Rico

7. telebuck

A quick follow-up. The squeakiness of the new tape has basically disappeared as I've used it more. In my case, it seems to have been a "break-in" issue for the new tape. It now only has the faint mechanical noise of the tape. You cant hear it at all when playing, and man these TTEs have a fantastic sound.

8. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Cool thanks for posting that the problem went away. I am wanting to get a TTE and it's nice to know what to expect

Thanks man

9. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

just got my new echo tape cartridge from fuller. I'll see if it makes a difference.

10. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

it was the cartridge. put the new one in and the squeak disappeared.

11. basscracker

basscracker Guest

someone want to explain how to use the sound on sound :confused:?how do you erase SOS,when does it erase,how long can you record for with SOS :confused:?