Squeaky wah pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Sep 14, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Is there any way to fix a squeaky wah pedal? Can the pivot pin be removed from the pedal and oiled? I don't know if it's bent or what. The wah is great so I'd like to salvage it. It's a thomas organ wah with a fulltone inductor and teese pot and it's amazing sounding but the squeak is horrible.

2. aquadog

aquadog Member

I had the same problem with my king vox wah. Just stuck some WD40 on the joints. After a day or so, no more squeek.

3. jzucker

Thanks. Are you jason Z? In my google search I came across a jason Z with a similar problem.

4. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Turn your amp up:D

Seriously, use grease instead of wd40 because it lasts longer....at least use a teflon spray lubricant instead of wd40.

On a side note.....your book is just killer. 2 months with it and I am really getting some speed together (I ain't no rookie either after playing for 25 years). Unlike most books I find the exercises more musical and easy to insert into my playing lexicon. I am suggesting it like mad over on Harmony Central. Excellent job!!!!

5. dosmun

dosmun Member

White Lithium grease works great.

6. jzucker

Now, you're talking about the pivot rod, not the treadle/pinion, right?

Thanks for the props about my book - I greatly appreciate it. You mind if I use your comments on my website?

I'm hoping to have my next book done sometime around the end of the month too!

7. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I've had the same problem before, and it was worth putting the extra time into it...

I pulled everything apart and cleaned, degreased and polished it:

- From the inside, undo just one of the nuts to the metal tension strap. (The screw may just spin towards the end. It's ok as long as the pressure is off the treadle pin).

- Punch out the treadle pin. Then undo the screws to the strap. Degrease all with some elect contact cleaner.

- My metal parts were a little rusty, so I polished the pin and tension strap with some extra fine sand paper and steal wool.

- Put some white lithium grease on all contact areas and put her back together. Tighten the tension strap screws to desired pedal resistance.

- Boom. Super easy action, no squeeking, the position stays were I put it, and it's good for another 20 yrs.

8. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Re: grease....I use on the pivot rod and exterior treadle area. I cover the plastic gearing in grease (new ones actually comes loaded with grease). Interior of the pot is of course not to be exposed to grease but you knew that already.

Re: comments -- I was going to email you my experience with the book but I posted here because of convenience. I will still send you the email and you are welcome to use whatever portion of it or this comment that you would like.

Look forward to the new book.:dude

9. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

most wahs have a flex-rod type spring under where the pedal is rivoted to the base, that little piece is usually 80% possiblity the reason for your squeak. Then just WD it!

10. aquadog

aquadog Member

Nope. Good luck with your wah though. Those old voxes really are killer.

I guess these other methods will work better than WD40, but I did that over a year ago (the squeeling was god-awful on mine) and it's been fine since. Its around 35 years old as well.