Squealing Lollar Imperial neck pup

dscuyamungue

Silver Supporting Member
So I love the richness of these Imperials but the neck pup is prone to squealing when a moderate amount of gain is applied. I've read that these Imperials are only lightly potted in an effort to not muffle them too much so I'm wondering if this is normal, if the neck just isn't designed to handle gain.

thx

rummy

Silver Supporting Member
It really depends on your set up. Every single unpotted pickups I tried squealed like mad with my setup. I had to dip mine in wax.

dscuyamungue

Silver Supporting Member
Thx for the input. My first choice would be to swap it out for another Imperial but I don't want to waste my time/money if it's just going to be the same. Somebody else suggested that I try putting a piece of foam under the pup to help keep it from vibrating, so maybe it's the the mounting that needs attention.

nateco

Take the cover off....see if it still squeals.

If it still squeals, could be loose coils.

If it doesn't squeal, remount the cover as tight as you can get it. You can try a little wax or something similar to anchor the cover...to stop the vibration.

gripweed

I have a set of lollar imperials in my 89 les Paul custom and they don't squeal at all.
That's helpful.

Do you have a metal cover on that pickup? Sometimes if the cover is not on there just right it will cause squealing. I doubt even if it were only lightly potted that it should squeal with that little gain. I would check the cover.

dscuyamungue

Silver Supporting Member
well crap,,, after taking a look under the hood I find that these are not Lollars. Hosed on an eBay sale again :mad:

bigchops

Even though you already found out they aren't lollars. Just to expand on my earlier short response. Yes I do have covers on them. These are lightly potted but I do believe the earlier versions weren't potted at all. I actually got mine on eBay and I'm not sure if they are potted or not. One thing I know is ac30 and Russian muff gain maxed and no squeal.

Trending Topics