Squier '51 Love

Glenharris1971

Silver Supporting Member
I love my '51 so much that I put an uber-flamey boat-back Warmoth Tele neck on it. A bit like putting a tuxedo on a pig eh?

Glenharris1971

Silver Supporting Member
The pics cannot come close to capturing the beauty of this neck....tilting it makes the flames 3D. The '51 is loaded with EMG 85, S. Graphtech saddles. Hipshot knobs.

Last edited:

geodr

That neck is a beaut but the stock neck isn't too shabby either (feels pretty good, but looks meh).

I have a '51 I got my daughter 7 years ago but she just went off to college so I think it's finally mod time. Gonna start with nut, tele (bubba mod) saddles, and tuning machines...maybe neck pup.

Question: does anyone have any tips or even a template to drill holes in the back of the existing bridge to mount tele saddles?

Glenharris1971

Silver Supporting Member
The guy that I got the '51 from gave me some extra parts, including a control plate that allows for a five way switch and two pots. I think I might try something else

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Glenharris1971

Silver Supporting Member
That neck is a beaut but the stock neck isn't too shabby either (feels pretty good, but looks meh).

I have a '51 I got my daughter 7 years ago but she just went off to college so I think it's finally mod time. Gonna start with nut, tele (bubba mod) saddles, and tuning machines...maybe neck pup.

Question: does anyone have any tips or even a template to drill holes in the back of the existing bridge to mount tele saddles?
I agree, the stock neck wasn't bad but this Warmoth is heavenly.

megawzrd

Silver Supporting Member
The squier 51 is a great guitar in its simplicity. The neck profile is nice too but I wish the frets were just a touch bigger.

straightblues

I am refinishing mine right now. It has been in the cabinet for a couple years. It will be running in about a week. Looking forward to playing it again.

Glenharris1971

Silver Supporting Member
The squier 51 is a great guitar in its simplicity. The neck profile is nice too but I wish the frets were just a touch bigger.
I have found that with the (MUCH) thicker neck of the Warmoth, it sustains better. My frets are on the medium side.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
That looks great! I LOVE the stock neck on my old '51 though, and would never dream of replacing it...

Andy J.

I've got an Allparts TMO-FAT on mine - pretty much the only stock stuff left on the guitar are the body and the jack plate: even drilled the control plate for a three-way switch.

syrynx

Nice to see and read about y'all's former Squier '51s. :p

Mine is still stock. Unlike most people, I bought mine because I fell in love with the sound of it. Only after I bought it was I able to understand the magic I was hearing, which begins with the low-wind pickups, but also includes pickup placement and controls.

I do contemplate some mods, eventually. The bridge is the weakest part of the guitar as manufactured, and I really should replace it. Also, mine's a tuxedo, and I'd prefer a black pickguard. But I do have a chunk of leather which is just exactly large enough...

Glenharris1971

Silver Supporting Member
Nice to see and read about y'all's former Squier '51s. :p

Mine is still stock. Unlike most people, I bought mine because I fell in love with the sound of it. Only after I bought it was I able to understand the magic I was hearing, which begins with the low-wind pickups, but also includes pickup placement and controls.

I do contemplate some mods, eventually. The bridge is the weakest part of the guitar as manufactured, and I really should replace it. Also, mine's a tuxedo, and I'd prefer a black pickguard. But I do have a chunk of leather which is just exactly large enough...
Tooled leather pickguard would look great!

IPLAYLOUD

Gold Supporting Member
I gave my black one to my daughter in law.
She is going to paint my granddaughter's name and some Disney characters on it.
$69 closeout at GC. I should have bought the last 3 on the floor.

Last edited:

Glenharris1971

Silver Supporting Member
I gave my black one to my faughter in law.
She is going to paint my granddaughter's name and some Disney characters on it.
$69 closeout at GC. I should have bought the last 3 on the floor.
I missed that sale. Got mine in a trade on a whim. Happy I did. It's a blues/rock machine. Really nice blues tones. I think the odd placement of the neck pickup adds to it. That's pretty much right in the middle of where the neck and mid pickups are on a strat...the sweet spot.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I did the same thing, except this Warmoth is a Fatback:

Not ultra flamey, just a lot of character - not that White Bread Maple look at all:

geodr

Can anyone (Boris?) offer any tips for drilling the stock bridge for tele saddles (aka the "Bubba mod")? Specifically how to lay out the holes...

Thanks!

straightblues

I am going to try the Bubba mod this weekend. I am waiting for my saddles to come in the mail. Hopefully someone will chime in before with a good picture.

Trending Topics