Squier '51 - what a cool guitar!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rotren, Sep 20, 2005.

1. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    A very inexpensive guitar that sounds great is the Squier '51. You gotta try one if you haven't. Tele neck, strat body, very nice pickups, great tone. The price is unreal - undeer $150 bucks. I have a more thorough review of it on my website, along with some video clips.

The tones you get with this cheapie are impressive. I highly recommend it. It isn't all quality like a Suhr guitar or anything, but some small things like doing some fret work and intonation can make it into something that rivals much more expensive guitars. It's definitely a great value.
    My 2 ├Âren.

2. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

It was your Squire '51 sound files that pushed me over the edge rotren...;)

I picked one up from Musician's Friend on that deal that included a gig bag for $119.95 shipped. It's just a flat out fun guitar to play. I have the neck off right now as I'm doing a fret level/crown/polish. The frets were just a little uneven. While I'm at it, I'm going to do a vintage amber tint to the neck and then finish it with a Min-Wax wiping poly to seal it. I guess I just can't help myself with inexpensive guitars, they're like diamonds in the rough to me...they just need a little "polishing" to bring out their full lustre. :)

3. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I've done a little more than Bloozecat to mine... I put a new neck onnit (a spare allparts fat maple neck), and a tele bigsby conversion... w/ a tele pickup in the bridge, and a newish strat pickup in the neck... put a little 3-way switch between the pots, and added a tone control...

I may put a baritone neck onnit, we'll see...

It's a twanger, though! :D :dude

4. rotren

rotren Member

Cool guys! How do you tint the neck? I'd be interested in that too. Interesting to hear I pushed you over the edge!

I like the stock pickups on it, sounds great to me.

5. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I use the guitar re-ranch Fender amber tint. It's an aerosol spray that contains no lacquer, only the dye and dryers apparently. You can apply as many (or few) coats as you wish to get anything from a '50's darker amber, to a lighter '60's type.

Well, when I said you pushed me over the edge, it didn't take much...I was sort of leaning over already. Although your sound clips didn't do anything to hold me back... :)

guitarmook, I think I've seen the pics of your '51...very nice. I'm afraid that doing the neck on mine is just the beginning...

"Hi, my name is Bloozcat, and I'm a modaholic" :(

6. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

I also have one of these on the way, cashed in on that $119 deal from MF. They sweeten the deal with a free gig bag and shipping, but the bags are backordered and they won't send the guitar without the bag. Looks like I'll be waiting for it until early October... not too far off I guess.

I plan to:

1) put an allparts 22 fret neck on it, because it's an awesome neck I bought for a tele project I have absolutely no time to finish

2) switch the rotary pickup selector for a gibby-style 3 way

3) possibly change the pickups, although after watching rotren's clips I'm not so sure. Depends on how the guitar sounds through my rig.

4) I've read complaints about the bridge, specifically the saddles. Possibly some String Savers might be in its future. Is the bridge a top loader or string through?

7. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

The bridge is a top loader...through the back edge of the bridge plate.

I'm thinking about changing the three way rotary switch to a Switchcraft toggle, and using the rotary switch spot for a tone control. I think I'd like to reseve the option of changing pickups until I've heard from a few more people who've done that. I'd like to know how the changes have affected the stock tonal options (good and bad). The sound of the '51 out of the box is darn good with a vibe all it's own. Despite the probability that the pickups are inexpensive ceramics, Fender did a great job in designing this circuit. The combination of different tones is outstanding.

One of the posters over at HC was kind enough to send me one of these decals that he had made up.

[​IMG]

I've got the gold one. Before I install it on my newly finished neck, I think I'll try scanning it into my home computer. If it works out, I should be able to make some more decals on some water slide decal paper I have. I'm also making up a new decal to replace the silkscreen one on the back of the headstock. There was no way to really sand around it while preparing the neck for tinting and finishing and have the finish come out uniformly.

8. rotren

rotren Member

Sweet look on that neck, buddy!

How can I get one of those decals? They are awesome!

9. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Just got mine back from the tech yesterday... installed a bigsby, allparts FAT neck, and 2 lawrenceusa pickups... it's in the rotation, and may work into 'heavy' status after Sunday's shows...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

That's actually a '51 that belongs to Little Ricky on HC and the new Sguire '51 site that was just created.

I told him how cool I thought the decals looked and asked where he got them from. He said he had them made up and these were extras. He asked if I would like one. I jumped at the chance and he sent me the gold decal.

I'm going to amber spray my neck tonight, and then put a finish on it. Before I install the decal, I'm going to attempt to scan it into my computer. From there I should be able to print out some more decals on the clear water slide decal paper I have. I'm also going to do a decal to replace the one on the rear of the headstock. I'm going to do a "Crafted in Indonesia" and the serial number, but I'm leaving out the "designed and backed by Fender". I figure that's self explanatory with the new "Fender" logo on the front of the headstock. I've picked out the fonts and they look to be nearly (if not exactly) identical to the silk screen logo now on the back of my headstock.

I'll let you know if I'm successful, rotren. If so, Ill send you one (and one for the back with your serial number, if you wish). It's the least I can do for your " pushing me off the edge" on this guitar... :D

11. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

12. rotren

rotren Member

Sweet, bloozkat - that would make my day! (or year!) I will be eternaly grateful.

Have you seen my '51 since I put a black pickguard on it? I've got some pics on my '51 page on my website.

13. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I did see the black pickguard on your '51. Didin't you get that from someone who upgarded theirs to a vintage cream color or something?

No problem with the decal...if it works out (I'm fairly confident it will, though). Since Little Ricky was kind enough to send me one of his, I figure I'd pass the favor along to someone else if I could.

...but only to "members" of the '51 club, that is. :cool:

AndyZ...I'm there buddy...

14. rotren

rotren Member

Yes, Bloozkat... I got it from Tremoloman, he had an extra pickguard. His guitar came with the wrong one, so he asked for the one he should have had and they sent the guard to him. I love the look with it all black.

15. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Have a Fralin SP42 and a 25 year old BL humbucker in my parts drawer -- the Squier 51 would make a cool home for my extra "junk". Now which color -- hmmm.......

Larry

16. PolyMorf

PolyMorf Member

You guys sold me on one. I ordered a blonde yesterday for the $119 price. Unfortunately, it is back ordered until October 13th. I must have just missed out because it showed in stock when I started the order.

I'll probably tint the neck and get a black pickguard. I may or may not do a fret level. We'll see how the neck is. If I can get the action at 0.070 - 0.100 then I'm happy.

I have some excellent 10mm Burns tuners laying around which I will probably swap out with.

I do plan on adding a tone control. I may go the GFS pickup route like AndyZ. I still want a coil split on the bucker.

Regards,

Harry

17. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Managed to avoid the allure of the cheap guitar and didn't order a 51. Don't have time to play the ones I have now.

Let us know how yours turns out, PolyMorf.

Larry

18. paulandpaul

paulandpaul Member

Just wanted to say to everyone who's waiting for their 51 from MF they should call them.

I called and asked them to send my guitar now and send the gigbags when they are in stock and it was no problem.

I'm enjoying my 51 right now. The stock pickups are suprisingly great sounding. I may replace the bridge PU but the neck is staying. It sounds amazing through my rig.

awesome guitar.:dude

19. kipknee

kipknee Member

I guess the cheap-cheap price on these is no longer available. Went to MF site this evening and the price is $149.00.

20. Yak

Yak Member

Sorry to bring back this dinosaur of a post...

FYI... GC is have a blowout on these ... $69 ... Can't go wrong.