Squier bass vi pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stonetec, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Stonetec

Stonetec Member

Well I've been eyeing up these things for a couple years now and since they're being discontinued I thought I'd grab one while I can. I've already got a baritone (tuned b-b) but it doesn't really suit the stuff I'm trying to write, I think the bass vi will be a much better fit. Also, I've also always wanted to buy a cheap guitar and mod it into a great guitar, so that's my plan.

Based on all the threads I've read about it I've gone ahead and ordered a staytrem bridge and la Bella strings already, they haven't arrived yet tho so I'm just messing around with the factory setup. I encountered the same problem with intonation that everyone else seems to, the low e. After looking through a vintage bass vi manual I found online I realized that there is a string tension adjusting screw on the trem that also changes the pitch. So I adjusted it a bit at the trem and then re adjusted the bridge and it seems to intonate fine with the stock bridge and strings. Not that I'm regretting ordering the stay trem but in all the threads I've read about this problem I've never seen any mention of adjusting the intonation with the trem so I thought I would mention it.

Anyways, I'm also planning on switching out the pickups. I was wondering if anyone has used the creamery bass vi pickups, and what they thought of them, or maybe if anyone has tried the fender '65 jag pickups in their bass vi. I thought maybe I could buy two sets of the '65 jag pickups and use the extra pickup in another guitar, the middle wouldn't be reverse wound but I'm not sure that would be a really big deal. Any other suggestions are welcome.

2. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

I hadn't heard they were being discontinued. Could you provide a link to an article on this?

My local Sam Ash and Guitar Centers can't keep them in stock.

3. Stonetec

Stonetec Member

No, sorry, I don't have a link. The place where I bought it told me that. They also told me that the squier vm baritone was discontinued, I tried to get my hands on one of those first.

4. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

They're still both up on the Squier website.

5. Stonetec

Stonetec Member

Yeah I know, i tried to order the baritone from a big online store here in Canada (la music) that still has it listed on their site, and they emailed me back a couple weeks later saying it was discontinued. So I went into a local shop and they told me both are being discontinued, but they had one bass vi left so I nabbed it.