Squier CV 50's Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ilduce, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

So here's the deal. I really want a 52 ri, but won't be able to afford one for some time, maybe a year or more. So what I'm thinking of doing is to get a 50's CV Tele and if needed do some upgrades on her, possibly pups, bridge and tuners. I've heard some really good stuff about the CV line and I don't really care what's on the headstock as long as it sounds and plays good. What do y'all think?

2. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

I've been playing 30+ years ,have and had many
    guitars of different quality.
    I own a cv 50's Tele.
    Never felt any need for any upgrades.
    Pickups sound good,full size pots,
    Brass saddles.
    Stays in tune better than any guitar I own.
    Plus .....ITS F***ING PINE!

3. Ilduce

Thanks! I've never played a guitar with a Pine body, but they seem to have a decent following so it'll be cool to try.

4. monty

monty Member

Yeah try it first to see if you get along with the neck. They are really nice guitars but if you don't like the neck you would be better off waiting a year and sinking that cash into the one you want.

5. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I've had two of these and they were both winners. I used to be a total guitar snob and wouldn't even look at anything that wasn't Gibson or MIA Fender. I had an aha moment a couple years ago when playing one weekend with the lowest-rung Epi Les Paul that you can get. I got many compliments on how my playing sounded and realized that no one gives a fat rat's backside what's on the head stock as long as it sounds good. That led me to look at the CV Tele's, acquired one, and loved it despite not being a Tele guy. I used it one weekend and got lots of compliments even going so far as to play it through a Bugera V22. Theretofore I had exclusively played Gibson Custom's through a Mesa. I'm a Les Paul guy through and through but had a MIA Fender Deluxe Strat and I got more compliments playing the "cheap stuff" than I did playing the "high end" stuff. Bottom line....the CV Tele's are really nice playing and sounding guitars. Don't make the same mistake I did and assume that higher dollars means better sound.

6. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I have one and love it.
    The stock pickups sounded perfectly good.
    I swapped em out only because I wanted noiseless for live work.

Some find the neck too thin.
    I don't think it's particularly scrawny but it sure isn't fat.

My main gripe was a very tacky feel from thick poly on the neck / fretboard.
    I sanded it off and love the feel now.

I'd buy one again as I think they sound great, love the vintage look & the price is excellent.

7. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Mine is bone stock. I play it almost daily as it is my couch guitar. The quality is amazing for the price. Just buy it!

8. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I recommend playing one first--they are all over the map in terms of weight, neck size (usually quite small) etc.

I love Chinese Squiers and have a number of them--I've just not found any of these Teles to be worth getting--yet. I've probably played 10 and they were all meh.

Lots of hype on these babies too. Hasn't been my experience.

9. murraythek

murraythek Member

I had a cv50 before I moved up to my 52 reissue. You definitely can't go wrong with the cv50. I say go for it. There is about a $1000 difference in price that could be used elsewhere.

10. Ilduce

One day I will have another 52 ri, but in the meantime I think I'll go for the CV. What I'm thinking of doing is ordering it from Elderly Instruments because they do a free set-up and have free shipping. Hopefully you'll be seeing a NGD within the next couple of months! Thanks for all of the great info!

11. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

excellent!

12. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

I've had a butterscotch blonde cv Tele since last summer. I love the thing! I have nicer guitars, but this Tele is so fun to play. Sounds great, looks great. I bought from Sweetwater because I could choose the exact instrument. The only thing I've done is put heavier strings on it. Someday I'll spring for a nicer US-made telecaster, but this guitar is an excellent value.

Sent using Forum Runner

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

The tuners are fine. There's no need to change them other than for cosmetic reasons. The nut might need some work though. This is the iffy part on many, if not most, factory made guitars at any price.

The pickups aren't bad. They're Alnico, not ceramic cheapies. You may want to swap them to further refine or redefine the tone but it probably won't be a necessity.

The bridge is vintage style with 3 brass barrels, very close to what the '52 reissue has. You probably won't need to swap it unless you want a more modern style bridge.

The finish on the neck doesn't have the feel some people like but others are fine with it.

If I was looking for an inexpensive vintage style Tele, I'd go with this one over the more modern Fender MIM models.

14. Luva

Luva Supporting Member

I prefer the CV 50's tele model over the MIM Fender model. But, as others have pointed out, totally a personal preference. Put another way, if all you had was $1500 to get both a tele and a tube amp, I'd opt for the CV and use the rest on a good amp. And I even have a soft spot for '52 RI Fender Telecasters.

15. modernp

modernp Member

Have sold well over a 100 cv teles and strats 2.5 and a half years ago we started writing the specs for each one that came in the shop because inevitably the buyer would want to know. Not a one of them varied much at all. In the day of Cnc machining what would you expect. Gas man you have been slamming the CV stuff for a while kind of wonder if you ever even picked one up.

16. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

Had mine since '09 and play it all the time. You can't go wrong with the CV50's Tele.

[​IMG]

17. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

I'd still have my CV Tele if it didn't have such thin frets. Great guitar though!

18. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

It's definitely got vintage frets, but I do like that about them.

19. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I've got a butterscotch maple neck one that I've upgraded with compensated saddles and better pickups (Twisted Tele neck and Buddha Nocaster Alnico 3 Handwound bridge). The sound is great, but I don't like the small frets. I'm debating on a refret or just selling it. Great guitars, though.

20. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

it would probably cost as much to get a new neck with bigger frets than to do a refret. In fact even cheaper- You can sell the squier neck :)