• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Squier dual magnet pickup

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
I was browsing Ebay for pickups to put in a Tele style guitar (Peavey Reactor.) There was one listed as Squier 99 that has two bar magnets under the baseplate, pressed against what I assume are steel slugs, somewhat like a P90's magnets.

Does this magnet arrangement make it sound a bit fatter like a P90? Is this worth getting as long as I'm not looking for an exact match for the 50s or 60s Tele sound?

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
Like this? This is what ceramic single coil pickups look like. Pretty much anything from a Bullet or Affinity will look pretty much exactly like this.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, that's the way the magnets are arranged. They list the part number as 005-5378-000. It has separate black and yellow wires, and looks to have fiber flatwork instead of a molded bobbin, if that helps ID it. There is a brass plate between the magnets and the lower flatwork.

lowbrow

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in, it may be helpful, it may not. Not long ago I switched to a tele in our band. The other guitarist uses a hamburger equipped guitar. I used to as well, but on a whim I picked up a used ( but stock ) Squier Affinity Tele and brought it to rehearsal. What I found was it put me in a completely different sonic space than my friend and filled out our sound in a way everyone loved. On its own, the Tele is very bright. In the mix it's perfect.

So, I got a second one...but it had a bridge dead pup. I had one like your description in my spares, so I fitted it. It was darker, so I was inclined not to like it...but, the deal killer was it had uncontrollable feedback. We play with moderate gain and it just could not handle it.

I tracked down another stock Affinity pickup and put that in...gave me back my brightness and, while it will still feedback, it's very controllable.

You can tell the Affinity pups by the single bar ceramic magnet, the lack of a base plate on the bridge pup and the black and white wires. I saw some in the low 6 k range, but went with one closer to 7 k. They got weaker more recently, as I understand it.

I know Affinity pups get no love generally, but my two sound unmistakably tele and they work really well for me. Plus I have less than $160 in the pair of guitars. They both play very well after a set up and one has good sustain, while the other has incredible sustain.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the responses. A little more digging showed that it is Squier Fat Tele, and the online reviews are all over, very hot and cold. Either great or worthless. Also they are low wind despite being called 'fat'.

I ordered a set of GFS Lil Punchers instead.

Top Bottom