1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Squier Esprit - Bought it about a week ago

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jeffhef, Sep 24, 2005.

1. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I picked up one of these as a backup about a week ago. So far I'm pretty pleased with it...

Set neck
    24 3/4 scale
    Duncan Designed PUP's

The pickup's are voiced a little dark but the guitar is pretty cool. Anyone else playing one of these?

jeffhef

2. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

My friend Dan at work bought one a little while ago, and we modded her about a week ago. Wagner Goodwoods split off the tone controls, 500/300K pots, SC switch and jack, Tonepros bridge...what a great guitar it is now. The chambering really softens the midrange, but what really surprised me was how good the bridge pickup sounded split; very Tele-like! We've been doing some experiments taking affordable offshore guitars and seeing how much you can improve them, and this was our stab at a Robben Ford without the pricetag. Now I understand why Guitar Player gave it an Editors Pick.-Eric

3. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Addendum: Next steps on the faux Robben are Tonepros locking tailpiece studs, better tuners, and an ivory or Earvana nut (still pondering this one). Doing projects like this is not inexpensive, even though we work at a music store, and the resulting guitar's resale value is no screamin' hell, but we do these things in the name of Science (or is it just GAS?).-Eric

4. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Interesting. I didn´t know they build those again. Congrats!

I have a 1986 japanese-made Fender Esprit. Definitely great guitars...

Christof

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Does your store have access to these? They look like something every guitar should have.
    Price?

Thanks.

6. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Does it have a slim neck profile, or is it chunky? Jumbo frets?

These guitars look cool.

7. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

The neck profile is comfortable to me and I like the Gibson 60's Slim Taper. It's not as slim as that but it is not a chunky 59 profile either. Also, I feel a kind of flat spot about 1/4" to 1/2" wide that runs the length of the neck. It's very playable. I think the radius is 12. Essentially it's very much like a Gibson. The Volume/Tone controls are exactly like LP's. The tuners are a different ratio I think. It seems like it takes more turns to string than my LP.

The nut is cheap plastic and the pup selector switch feels cheap. One thing I noticed...the saddle adjustment screws for 3 of the strings were loose and rattling. After I intonated the guitar they were fine.

Other than that...I can't really find any issues with the guitar. The binding on mine is excellent and the frets are well done. Most likely I'll do the following...

Change the nut
    Change the pup selector switch
    Change the pot's to CTS
    Change the tone caps to something like 715's
    Check the wiring...if it's not Gibson 50's style I'll change it

These changes aren't expensive and make a world of difference. I'd like to go with a light weight TP (not sure what's on it) but the hardware just looks so good on the black finish.

If I can't get used to the pup's I may make a change. But it IS a backup and I'm trying to stay low cost. I've raised the bass side of the bridge a little and it seems to be helping to brighten it up some. I'll keep working with it. Considering the quality this appears to be a real bargain.

jeffhef

8. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Tone Terrific: We're not a Earvana dealer at this time (I get them sideways from a rep). They cost $40-50 range, and MUST be installed by someone with a strobe tuner to achieve full benefits. Takes me about an hour to do one; so count on a labor charge around $50. I think Warmoth has them on their site (around $30 US if my feeble memory prevails). I had one on my Variax utility guitar, and it really does work well.-Eric

9. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

I've got one and I really love it. I bought it because I needed a bar guitar. My 335 is just too nice to have drunk college kids around it. I haven't changed anything yet, but I believe with a bone nut, new electronics and possibly a new bridge assembly, this will rival some of the boutique stuff.

mR

10. Gary Shetler

Gary Shetler Guest

I bought one a couple of months ago from Musicians Friend, and found it to be a really well made guitar!

Here's a couple of pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:dude

11. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

I wouldn't mind having another one to put some P90's in, but I just can't swing it right now. Plus, I'm saving for a Fuchs mod...

Sigh....

mR

12. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Ok...I really like the guitar. But I took it back today and got a refund. I bought a Tokai posted here.

Still...I do like the Esprit. Since I started this thread I had some problems with the Saddle adjustment screws. Three of them rattled loose constantly.

jeffhef

13. journo

journo Member

Hi mR,

I'm thinking of getting an Esprit. Would you say that it sounds closer to your 335 than a Les Paul?

Cheers,

Mats N

14. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

journo,

I'd say it sounds like a Les Paul and 335 had a baby. It's got a more pronounced midrange than the 335, but not quite as much as Paul. I'm guessing thats where the sound chambers come into play. I can get a pretty cool "Beano" thing going on with the bridge pickup but it does a great jazz sound on the neck. If you want, I may be able to put some various clips together of it through a Super Reverb or JTM 45 Clone. I haven't done any mods to it yet, so you'd be getting the stock sound, pickups and all.

If you're interested, let me know...

mR

15. journo

journo Member

Hi mR,

I'm very interested so the sound clips would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mats N

16. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

I'll try and get something down tonight. Do you have a preference for which amp?

17. journo

journo Member

Hi mR,

I use a 6L6 amp myself so as a reference a Fender style amp would be best for me.

Cheers,

Mats N

18. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

Alright, I'll try and get something done tonight. I'll drop you a line when I do.

mR

19. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Sorry to revive an old thread ou of the blue guys, but ...

Just dug my unplayed Esprit out and plugged it in. Very nie. Solidly built and nice workmanship. But I've remembered why I don't play it - very harsh rather shrill pick-ups!

People's thoughts on replacements would be welcome - something warmer and darker preferably. (I'm a Bare Knuckles fan, but my ears remain open. Favourie pups of all time are still the Ibanez Super 58s I have in an old AS200 - are they available separately?)