Squier Mini Strat mod (new tuners) and gave it a nice setup. Wow.

DeadCell

Not sure if this is thred worthy but it's just amazing how much of a difference it made. And this is the first time I've ever had to to modifications to a guitar. I've swapped drop in/drop out tuners before, swapped pickguards, and swapped knobs.... but I've never had to drill into a guitar before. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out :D

The new tuners are the Grover Vintage Kluson style.
2IVxbeeh.jpg

I was surprised how easy the mod was. I was expecting some drilling, but fortunately the post holes didn't need any extra work. All I had to do was drill new mounting holes.

8VFgyL0h.jpg

I installed the tuners, oiled up the fretboard, strung it with 11 gauge D'addarios, adjusted the high E string radius (it was way high), and then adjusted the truss rod to a relief of .10. It plays like an absolute dream now.

VGLI0fah.jpg

This is my son's guitar. However, he isn't even born yet lol. He is due in a little over two weeks from now. I think he has a worthy starter guitar.

Like father, like son (hopefully lol)
QSdxZiGh.jpg

straightblues

I got one for my son a few years ago. I did a really good setup on it and I have gigged it a few times just for fun. Take it on the road and relic it for him.

DeadCell

Thanks everyone :)

They are great guitars if you put a little bit of work into them. They play like trash out of the box. But a good setup (and some better tuners) really make it shine.

I may look into upgrading the pickups at some point, but I'm not in a hurry. The guitar sounds fine. Maybe I'll put some Texas Specials in it within a year or two, just for fun lol.

Anyway, just wanted to share, just in case someone was thinking about buying one for their child (whether it be their literal child or inner child lol).

DeadCell

I got one for my son a few years ago. I did a really good setup on it and I have gigged it a few times just for fun. Take it on the road and relic it for him.

I'm sure it got some laughs and awes lol. I could imagine it'd be fun to gig with.

Tweedledee

Silver Supporting Member
I did basically the same thing with one I bought for my son. New tuners and at least 11s with a good setup and it's a really fun guitar. I play it more than he does. :D

I also refinished the neck, but that wasn't necessary. I even have a set of GFS alnico pickups I got for cheap that I'm going to install at some point.

Mr. Dad

Santa brought my middle son one for Christmas two years ago. I didn't change the tuners, but a new set of strings and a good setup and it was good to go.

We gave my son one just like that one two Christmases ago also. I also put new tuners on it and tweaked it a bit. I'd like to put new pickups in but the only thing he plays on it is the Smoke On The Water riff, and how much better can that get anyway?

nastynotch347

Awesome, congrats!

Bought one for my 5 year old son, frets leveled and neck adjusted it plays great. I'll have to consider swapping the tuning pegs.

DStout

I bought the pink Hello Kitty version for my then 5 year old daughter four years ago. It sounds pretty decent. I really should replace the tuners though.

Delta

Any Squire Mini Strat made 2010 and later have the standard 10mm holes on the head stock. Anything earlier has 8mm, 9mm holes depending on which factory built them.

Question I have, are the pickups in the mini the same size as in a regular size strat?

Not sure if this is thred worthy but it's just amazing how much of a difference it made. And this is the first time I've ever had to to modifications to a guitar. I've swapped drop in/drop out tuners before, swapped pickguards, and swapped knobs.... but I've never had to drill into a guitar before. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out :D

The new tuners are the Grover Vintage Kluson style.
2IVxbeeh.jpg

DeadCell

Any Squire Mini Strat made 2010 and later have the standard 10mm holes on the head stock. Anything earlier has 8mm, 9mm holes depending on which factory built them.

Question I have, are the pickups in the mini the same size as in a regular size strat?

I'm fairly certain that they are but haven't measured. I'll try to remember to measure them. I was planning on putting some Texas Specials in it at some point.

VintageToneGuy

Silver Supporting Member
I bought my Grandson a Red Mini Strat this past week for Christmas. A guy bought it as a travel guitar and had the frets dressed and also had it set up. He'd put a Fender logo in place of the Squier on the headstock. I got the guitar, gigbag, Headphone amp, tuner, cable, strap and picks for $75 and it looks new. Also, it's easy to play and sounds great!

Brettski

That's awesome. My 2yo daughter is gonna get my old Duosonic II when she's old enough if she's into it. Given her penchant for pink plastic, princesses and fashion accessories, I'm not holding my breath.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom