Squier strat modding

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1cmb, Feb 4, 2012.

1. 1cmb

1cmb Member

I have an old Squier affinity strat that was my first guitar, and I like my new guitars but sometimes miss the strat sound... Do you guys think that keeping the body and replacinging the pick guard with the new dimarzio area prewired one, and maybe change the tremolo and tuners? An then maybe eventually a new neck? This would happen little over time, but do you guys think it will me worth it in the long run? If any of yall have other mods as well to suggest I'm open, but only if it's worth modding for actuall gigging situations

2. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

if the neck is straight and true, keep it, the mods you suggested sound pretty good, should be gig worthy

3. 1cmb

1cmb Member

Alright cool... A lot of people say that the alder is like inferior and would sound bad if you did anything to it... Personally I haven't looked into enough to know for sure, but other people opinions are helpful.

4. kingturkeylord

kingturkeylord Member

I definitely think it's worth upgrading! Have fun with it, experiment, and make yourself a good guitar!

5. 1cmb

1cmb Member

Thanks man, I'll try, but no promises haha... Should I go vintage on the tremolo or maybe put in a wilkinson or something of that nature?

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Upgrading is a slippery slope into the money hole.
    You will end up with EVERYTHING upgraded except the body and then realize that the body isn't quite what it should be, either, because it isn't.
    If you are prepared for that, fine.

7. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Upgrade it and have fun. Completely modded a Squier Affinity Tele and now it's one of the best sounding axes in my stable.

8. 1cmb

1cmb Member

@tone_terrific thats the only thing I'm worried about really... Is it really that big of a difference

9. willc68

willc68 Member

My 03 Affinity Strat is one of my nicest playing guitars.
    For years I resisted the urge to mod it cause it sounded so good but about a year ago I switched the pu's to a set of Benson Customs and It was a nice improvement.
    Have fun with your guitar.

10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I think you'll find the affinity body is thinner (they may have changed?) multi-pieced, and cut to fit the narrower bridge spacing.
    Doesn't mean it can't work well for you, but if any of those things bug you and you are planning on upgrading the other bits, it can be a limiting factor.

It is very easy to spend more than what the guitar is worth, just on parts....I seem to do it a lot:bonk but it does give you a chance to experiment.

11. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Alder is used by many builders and some consider it the best wood out there. Don't let the wood stop you. What do you like/dislike about the guitar? I luvs me some modding but if it works, don't fix it.

12. Fret Fretterson

Fret Fretterson Member

I was in a similar boat with my 15+ year old MIM strat. I had a special attachment to it since it was my first electric guitar, but wasn't playing it much. I ended up doing very similar mods to what you are thinking about and now it plays fantastic and sounds just like the strat sound I was going for.

I had a lot of fun with the project and for me it was well worth it since I won't be getting rid of the guitar.

13. 1cmb

1cmb Member

Well I mean I do like the guitar, and really the only thing that bugs me are the pickups (and the fact that it is terribly set up right now) and tuners/tremolo.... Would changing the neck out like kinda ruin the point of keeping your first guitar?

14. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

I just got a '94 MIM Tele in a trade, body and neck are kick a$$ but the pups, pots are tuning machines are junk. I ordered some Lollars (special T for the bridge and an Alnico 3 for the neck), new tuning machines and a re-wiring kit from Stew Mac and fully intend on making a monster partscaster that has a great foundation. If you like the way the guitar plays and just want to improve it, I say go, do it. A really good set of pups will bring it to life if that's your primary issue. I wouldn't swap the neck until after you did a set up and still weren't happy with it.

15. 1cmb

1cmb Member

@partsocaster yeah I'll definitely try that then... My beef with the neck might just be because it isn't set up or anything, so maybe once it is, I can tell

16. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

anyone know about the size of the hello kitty strats?

i want to get one and pop a white EMG in it and have warmoth build a birdseye maple neck to put on it, but I don't know if it will fit in the neck pocket. anyone have any knowledge on these/

17. bek

bek Member

To the OP: I have a decent stable, mostly of US-made instruments, but I keep going back to my el cheapo -- a Squier Bullet (hardtail) I won in a raffle. I've gotten used to the rather thin, narrow neck, and like it more and more. It's a featherweight. At first I kept it stock except for installing a Deaf-Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch. It was really surprising how good it sounded (my tech was amazed). Later I installed an SSH VintageVibe ultra-low output set with special switching, and it just dominates. It gives me practically everything I want, except for those short-scale Gibson-type sounds, and it can do a reasonable facsimile of those. If you like it, and it plays and stays in tune, then it's worth modding up, but do it in stages. Go for it, just don't expect to sell it for what you have invested.

18. 1cmb

1cmb Member

@bek yeah this being my first guitar, I don't want to sell it for sentimental reasons, but I think modding it could make me use it again... Cause in its current state, it's pretty bad haba

19. bek

bek Member

Go for it, guy. Just do it in stages and have fun.