Squier Telecaster CVC ... worth upgrades?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by eR125L, Jan 23, 2012.

1. eR125L

eR125L Member

So, I'm thinking about upgrading my Telecaster Classic Vibe Custom with some new pickups (maybe lollars) , electronics and brass saddles, but first I shall explain why I want to do this.

This year I had the opportunity to take 9 months abroad in another country. Since I did not want to stop playing guitar for 9 months, I bought a Squier CVC for cheap and left my main guitar (Gibson Les Paul) safe at home. I had the idea to enjoy the guitar and when my experience abroad ended, sell it in order to get something fancier (I was craving a Telecaster for a LONG time, especially the MIJ 62' Custom or the Classic Player Baja)

The Squier CVC fitted the bill, it was cheap, good looking and sounded pretty well. I've tested it against a Fender American Special and honestly, the only thing that I wanted to change right away was the pickups, and only because their output is too low for my taste. It has been a while and somehow I've bounded with the guitar. I still want to make the mods because I think it could sound better, but i have my mind thinking about two situations:

Is it worth to upgrade the guitar and spend more money on it than what it costed?

Should I look to sell it and get a MIJ or Baja, waiting for a huge step forward in quality and tone?

2. WKG

WKG Member

The CVC doesn't really "need" any changes right out of the box IMO. It's really rather well done. That said I did change things on mine out of personal preference. I added a set of Nocaster pups, 4 way switch and a Rutters bridge with compensated brass saddles. All three were noticeable upgrades to the guitar and tweaked it pretty much to where I wanted it to go.

If you save the old parts you can always reinstall them if you later decide to sell the guitar and then use the upgrades somewhere else.

3. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

I would just buy one with the work done... I have one for sale for $350 with upgraded everything. Its the pine CV 50's

4. eR125L

eR125L Member

Just to give some juice to the topic, here's the guitar

[​IMG]

The question here is: sell to get a MIJ 62 Custom / Classic player Baja, waiting for it to be step forward in tone and quality OR do the upgrades and be satisfied with the CVC, waiting for it to be even better that the MIJ / Baja.

5. WKG

WKG Member

Probably the only way to REALLY answer that is to get out and play a few MIJ 62 Custom/Classic player Bajas and see if one grabs you more than the CVC.