Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

Larry Mal

I'm the Gear Page's resident Jazzmaster purist and I'd say go for it. I was kind of thinking about getting one myself, but I already have tow Jazzmasters anyway.

I do have a Squier Jaguar body from the same series, haven't gotten around to doing anything with that. The finish is fine and all looks nice, like you'd think.

Read some reviews, you won't find many negative ones. Most folks are saying that for the price these guitars are stellar.

Here's the negatives: without question, the electronics are sure to be fairly cheap. That's not a big deal, you could upgrade those over time. The hardware is probably also cheap, I'm sure it works fine, again, you could upgrade that over time.

I'd say go for it.

HyakuShiki

Had the chance to try one the last time I was in Atlanta (because Chattanooga's GC doesn't barely carry anything!).

I tried it alongside the Vintage Modified Jaguar, and while I didn't care much for the Jag's tone, I loved the Jazzmaster. It felt comfortable, played nicely through both the Vox AC15 and the Fender Deluxe I tried, and was a nice, clean finish too. For the money, you really won't find a better Jazzmaster. And even if the Squier name brand worries you, trust me. This thing stock can go toe-to-toe with the Classic Player JM, I feel.

Great Shot Pilot

Silver Supporting Member
Take a hard look at the Squier J. Mascis JM for $100 more. Most folks feel it's a solid step up in quality over the VMJM. It does break from vintage spec in a couple of ways, but is very much a Jazzmaster nonetheless.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JazzVMCAR/

Anyone ever try this guitar/ own it? I like Jazzmasters A LOT and wanted to get myself an affordable one. I played it at the local Guitar Center and really liked it. I've neverr owned a Squier before... should i expect it to be well below the standards of a Fender, or will i not notice a big difference?
Since you've played it and like it a lot, go get it. The good Squiers are awesome, and it sounds like you found a good one.

mo77

I've got one in sonic blue and I like it a lot! Go for it! Great bang for the buck!

joeybsyc

GREAT guitars. I've owned several, did some minor upgrades to them including locking tremolos and matching headstocks. All AVRI parts are direct bolt-on replacements too, including pickguards, etc. I currently own a Squier VM Jag which are also steller guitars for the coin. The JMJM is good too, but not as "pure" as the VM, with the P90 pickups, the wrong bridge, and the tremolo in the wrong place. Both are great guitars, but the Squier VM Jazzmaster is much closer to what an original Jazzmaster was. Can't go wrong IMO. Every time I sell one I end up buying another.... they're addicting guitars!

Last edited:

SmashingTuna

GREAT guitars. I've owned several, did some minor upgrades to them including locking tremolos and matching headstocks. All AVRI parts are direct bolt-on replacements too, including pickguards, etc. I currently own a Squier VM Jag which are also steller guitars for the coin. The JMJM is good too, but not as "pure" as the VM, with the P90 pickups, the wrong bridge, and the tremolo in the wrong place. Both are great guitars, but the Squier VM Jazzmaster is much closer to what an original Jazzmaster was. Can't go wrong IMO. Every time I sell one I end up buying another.... they're addicting guitars!

Wow those look great! If i do end up getting one i would upgrade it a little bit... i'll have to keep this post in mind.
Plus now i REALLY want one in red :dude

Oh, and that red jaguar is stunning.

Matt L

I've also had a few. They are fun, and pretty decent guitars. You can feel the lower quality of the hardware, but that can be fixed easily. The necks feel really great IMO.

I thought the J Mascis was a little better overall. I never felt an overwhelming need to upgrade anything on those. The VMs definitely needed tweaks from the get-go, for my needs.

These are all Squiers (except for the Strat)-

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
I saw one (the light blue color) on the GC used site a few weeks back. It had just been put online. Priced at $149! Called the store, was told it was in great shape but a guy was in the middle of buying at the store. Just missed it by a couple of minutes. Oh well, given time I'll get one I suppose. They are indeed very, very cool guitars.

Matt L

$149! I got one of my Mascis sigs for $180, which was pretty sweet. The Squier logo allows these to drop to "steal" levels. At the new price of $299, they are already a good deal. No brainer at $200 or less.

Joeybsyc...your guitars look great. The headstock is a great touch.

fjwiv

Would it kill fender to paint the head stocks? Looks fantastic!

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
My VMJM feels and sounds really great, sometimes it's hard to believe it's a budget guitar.

StratoCraig

I used to have an VM Jaguar. It was quite a good guitar, pretty amazing value for money. I sold it only because I ended up deciding I wasn't really into the spiky Jaguar sound or the short 24" scale (and I found another guitar that I wanted more and didn't quite have the money for). I haven't tried the VM Jazzmaster, but my guess is it's just as good a guitar and I probably would have liked it better than the Jaguar.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I have one, excellent guitar but I prefer the Jaguar version...so I'll likely be listing mine in the emporium shortly.

Trending Topics