Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmasters?

buzzp

I'm itching for another fender solidbody***... had a tele and strat, but moved them both along even though they were great guitars. I think a Jazzmaster is the tone I'm looking for out of a Fender, but are these Squier's good instruments?

Last edited:
Awesome- looks like the search is over!
Be aware though, the pickups are not regular Jazzmaster pickups. They're hotter and punchier, at the expense of some of the warmth that JMs are known for. Its kinda like a P90 with a JM cover.

gutter rock

Unfortunately Fender just jacked up the prices of the Mascis as well as the VM series. I think the VM squier can be fantastic instruments with some upgrades. The mascis pickups were a let down for me, but the guitar is very nicely made. Another thing to remember on the Mascis is the tremolo has been moved closer to the bridge which is debated to change the sound as well. I think that debate is a bit over exaggerated, but it will have a bit less of the behind the bridge harmonics that is apparent in traditional jazzmaster setups.

buzzp

I appreciate the insight guys, I'm not dying for a 100% Jazzmaster, just something Fender-y that isn't a Strat or Tele. A Jaguar is also on the list, but I like the JM pickups more.

HTSMetal

I played a sunburst Squier VM Jazzmaster in the studio last weekend...it was a killer guitar! Felt very solid and well made, action was nice and low with no buzz, and the Duncan Designed pickups were definitely solid (albeit a tad hot for Jazzmaster pickups). Overall I was super impressed by it, and if I didn't already have an offset style guitar in the stable I'd be picking one up!

onemoretime

I got in just before the increase and bought a new VM Jazzmaster and Jaguar ... $269 each delivered to my door.

The Duncan Designed pickups fixed everything I didn't like about the Jazzmaster and Jaguar . I really enjoy both guitars, this after selling a mint CIJ Jazzmaster and CP Jaguar, neither of which did a thing for me.

The 2:1 price ( 2 new VM's vs. 1 used CIJ/CP) is always a happy place to be in, but the guitars themselves are really nice sounding and good players. I know the CIJ and CP were (supposed to be) better guitars, but these 2 just ring my bell better.

Last edited:

lugnut111

The Squier J Mascis has one of the best necks I've ever played...at any price point.

I bought a J Mascis & a Squier VM Jazzmaster.

The J Mascis was gig ready out of the box.

The VM looked okay, but played like crap.

Squier needs to embrace the "Modified" portion of the Vintage Modified name...and ship those guitars with a better bridge.

Kept the Mascis, sold the SQVM Jazzy. YMMV

jo2012

I have a VMJM in Olympic White and I absolutely love it. The only mod I've done to it is swapping the bridge for a Staytrem. It sounds like a Jazzmaster should and it's become my number 2 live guitar.

Chippertheripper

Silver Supporting Member
Be aware though, the pickups are not regular Jazzmaster pickups. They're hotter and punchier, at the expense of some of the warmth that JMs are known for. Its kinda like a P90 with a JM cover.
I have a set of mascis pups in my mij jm, and they don't really sound like a p90 either to me. They are hot and punchy, and plenty bright.
I like them, just what the doctor ordered for my needs.

Reg18

Very happy owner of a VM JM here! Have had the usual issues with the bridge (common and well documented on the forum) I played a J Masics with a Mastery bridge and it was an amazing guitar, I would say it is a better player over the VM JM but I little less traditional as it has P90 style pickups so sounds a bit different.

buzzp

What about the VM jaguars? Found a gorgeous Seafoam Green one (blemished) online for $249...

Trending Topics