Squier VM Jag?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MaxLikesMilk, Mar 28, 2015.

1. MaxLikesMilk

MaxLikesMilk Member

I'm looking for a cheap guitar to take to smokey bar gigs and other gigs of that nature. I am also going on tour this summer and want to bring a guitar that I wouldn't mind getting a little banged up. I don't want to ding up my American Strat (my #1 guitar). I have always loved fender offset guitars like the Jag, Mustang ect, but I can't bring myself to drop around $1000 on a guitar that is made in Mexico so the VM jag seems to be the better deal at the moment.

Anyway, I am going to sell my Epi Les Paul Standard and I think I'm guna get a VM Jag. They look cool and the pickups aren't too bad IMO. I am going to replace the bridge, however.

2. jo2012

jo2012 Member

I have a Surf Green VM Jag and I love it. It sounds like a Jag should and it was only $300

3. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

I picked up my Sunburst VMJM Special at GC for $200 a few months ago....love the stock Duncan Designed pickups, and the necks on these are fantastic (at least the Indonesian made maple board ones are) ....absolutely PERFECT intonation.
    In fact the neck is so perfect to me, that I bought another one and put it on my '87 Tele, which completely transformed the guitar. The original neck was too thin, and never played in tune, even after extensive fretwork.

Anyway, the VMJM's are terrific bang for the buck....even at the $299 they usually sell for, it's almost like stealing!

$0.02

G

4. radiolab

radiolab Member

I absolutely love mine. I have a sunburst one I refinished and threw on a mastery bridge with lollars and there is no turning back for this guitar. It's one of my favorites.

5. sa1126

sa1126 Member

Great guitars but yeah the bridge sucks much like all jags/jazzys.

6. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

I used to have a Squier VM Jaguar. Quite a decent guitar. I sold it only because I ended up not having that much use for the biting, trebly Jaguar tone, and I don't really like the Jag's 24" scale. Plus, I found something else I wanted more. But if you want a good Jaguar at a bargain price, the VM is hard to resist.

That said, if you'd rather have an MIM model except for the price, look around for used ones.

7. MaxLikesMilk

MaxLikesMilk Member

Alright, I'm guna pull the trigger on the Jag. Thanks for the advice.

8. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Good for your - I assemble and service guitars and I am so impressed by the build quality of the Vintage Modified series. In the past six months I've acquired a VM JM Tele, VM Tele Bass, VM Bass VI and just last week a VM Cabronita Bass. Every one of these has needed less tweaking than the average MIM I've serviced. If you're not a decal snob these are the best bang for the buck going for a Fender style instrument IMHO.

9. Fab4ever

Fab4ever Member

Echoing several, I love my VM Jag - it's in regular rotation along with my Gretsch pro series, Rick and others.

10. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I've got one and the only mod I've done is a cheap Mustang bridge. It's surprisingly good. I just use the tone and volume controls to tame the treble on the bridge.

11. e???

e??? Member

Whenever I try one I knock off the low E. Needs a mastery bridge, or a mustang bridge or something... Also if you're not used to a jag scale length they can feel a little weird, and sound different than a normal fender.

12. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

You're speaking of this model though right?

https://reverb.com/item/406593-fend...id=pla&pla=1&gclid=CK7p8KGE0cQCFQqGfgodUI0A8Q

I'm curious about how the neck compares on those to the newer VM models.

As you say, I've heard very good things about the neck on the one you mention....just not a fan of that bridge.