Squier's Anonymous

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by maccampbells, May 16, 2008.

1. maccampbells

maccampbells Member

I recently picked up a '99 Mexican Squier Fat Strat w/Floyd Rose for $125 and am so moved by it I am starting a "Squier's Anonymous" thread. I know on a site called "TGP" it may not be the largest club, but many, many of you have played one. This thread is reserved for those who can speak the Squier love. As in one of the threads below, this is not a cork sniffing thread, it is a beer chugging thread.

Pics and clips encouraged!

Here are some past threads. Lots o' love for the '51. In fact, the resale on these has doubled the original purchase price in just a few years.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/search.php?searchid=7320344

2. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Had a 83 Big Head Stock 70's RI that was awesome. I sripped the poly and a 1 piece ash body was underneath. This thing was awesome. Wish I would have kept it. No pics, sorry.

3. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

My name's Mike and I'm a Squier-A Holic. I'm a sucker for the Tom Delonge models and the old 25.5" scale Jagmasters. I also like the Squier neck profile - there I said it.

4. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

I went into a local music shop last week to find out about getting a refret. And I passed one of the new Squiers and ran my fingers accross the strings.......BBBrrrrrriiiiiiiggg It was so loud.!!! I picked it up pluged in and an hour later was still enjoying it. I was surprised I could play it because I,m used to a short 24 inch scale. It has a fat C neck Seymour Duncan designed pups and sounds fat for a strat. I left the shop and thought it would be crazy buying it............. The next day I went back and got it, the guy gave me a top of the range Ibanez gig bag and a Planet Waves strap.!!!! The whole thing cost not much more than three pickups............................It still sounds and feels great I hope to leave some sound clips. The modal is "SQUIER DELUXE HOT RAILS STRAT"
    I still have to find out about that refret.

5. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Squier's putting out some pretty good guitars these days. I'll have to take a look at the one with a fat C neck as the standard lines neck is a little on the thin side for my tastes.

6. echale3

echale3 Member

Not a total Squier-a-holic yet, but I sure do like my $50 ebay score...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I took the pix, I did a few things to it--the tuners were shot, so I found a set of Squier Strat tuners on ebay for a couple bucks, and installed them. I had to do a little drilling on the headstock to make it work, but it came out just fine. It stays in tune now. I also reversed the control plate, because I kept accidentally hitting the selector switch. It's beat all to hell, but it plays just fine!

I think a Bigsby would be too cool on it. Ebay here I come!!!

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I have one of these on the way - it was a MF SDOTD a few weeks back. Looks like a great platform to improve on. :dude

[​IMG]

8. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I have a Squier M.I.I. Modified JAzz bass. 2 piece gorgeous maple body that looks almost bookmatched. Great sounding duncan designed pickups. Great neck, great fretwork, but above all, just a solid, solid sound that to my ears, beats ANY mexican made fender hands down. I even prefer it to some of the american ones. (i think it's the heavy maple body).

All I did was change the bridge to a new gotoh one, but it was mainly for cosmetics.

9. oldrock

oldrock Member

my son has a 70s reissue jazz squier bass and that thing plays suprisingly well. He uses it as a backup to his main bass but it holds its own just fine. It is the one that is natural finish with the black blocks on the fretboard. Great looking and good sounding bass for under $300 new.

10. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Cool thread...I had 2 Protone Strats that just killed! One was blonde w/mint guard, the other was oly white w/ match headstock and tort. guard. Wish I still had the pair, sold them looking for something better with a real "Fender" badge...still looking.

11. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I played a set-neck (yes, set-neck) Squier Thinline Tele a month or so ago at a local music store. It was overpriced and had a huge ding in it, so I didn't buy that one, but it was an amazingly good player. I've seen them come up on eBay too for around $200. Natural/yellowed finish, awesome. I've got my eye out for one now and if I can find it, I'll buy it. (I let the one I saw on eBay go because I was conflicted over wanting to buy a "Squier" and now I regret it.

12. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

If you ever see a Squier Double Fat Tele from the early 90s, jump on it. They're set-neck Teles with two humbuckers and a coil tap. Very, very cool guitars. They usually go for less than $300.

13. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

Well, here's my story... I wanted a nice project guitar. Something to work, be proud of, to call it mine in a more personalized way...

So I fiind this Squire Standard on Ebay... Cherry/Red Burst, with Tortisshell pickguard... Nice looking... Has a few scratches on it.. But that's ok, as I will probably put a few on myself...

Anyways... it come shipped in a nice Gibson gig bag, packed real nice. Pull it out.. Very nice looking guitar. Feel really solid. Electronics feel real solid as well. Neck is really nice. Love the maple with what looks like rosewood... 2 pt. Trem.. etc... Plug it real quick to just make sure that everything is ok.. And it chimes real nice.. But not long enough for me to really make an assessement. The seller said on the auction that the pickups were junk...

Anyways, I noticed the input jack was little loose. So I was going to set the action, so I might as well tighten that up a bit...

So I start tightening up the input jack and then about the 3 turn I felt something "POP"... O crap, what was that... Took the screws out and I completely severed the ground and the main wire from the input jack. Apparantely as I was tightening the input jack I was winding up the wires around the jack it'self and they can only do that for so long...

anyways.... I'm like dang it.. I just got this thing... Now I am going to have to try and repair it..

I am a total noob when it comes to tinkering around with electronics inside of guitars... The good new is, this guitar was to help teach me a few things, so it was time to dig in... Mind you this was this past Monday evening...

Anyways... I remove the trem, springs, etc so that I can get the pickguard off... There is really no way that I can splice this wire, ripped pretty bad... I have nothing in the house, no extra wire of anykind... So I go to the store and pick up some wire... I fire up the soldering iron...

I start removing the old... And man do I have a horrible time with this soldering Iron... Soldering is something that I have never had to do before. I don't even remember why I have the soldering Iron as I have been very lucky with my other two electrics. Anyways... This thing is taking for ever to melt the soder. I'm sitting there and thinking that soldering can't be this hard. :FM What is going on. The iron is a Radio Shack 40watt job, and it certainly feels like it's getting hot enough as I have scorched myself several times already...

Well, after about 2 hours of manhandling this soldering iron and this new wire i get it back together... Plug it in and WEEEEEEEEWAHHHH WEEEEEE WAHHHHHHHH ERRRRRRR EHHHHEHEHHHHEHEHE.... Come out of my amp..

Don't think it's right.. Man am I ticked... Anyways... Last night, I tried once again to fix this thing.. I read up on some articles on here on soldering... You tube vids, etc etc. Everything that I could see online tells me that the solder should instantly melt... Something was wrong. Again I struggled with the soldering iron. I finally said 'SCREW IT" got to go buy me another. The only thing open at this time is of course Wal-mart. I bought the only thing they had. A 25 watter.

Took it home... Let it heat up.. Tinned it and all that and it was perfect.. OMG!!! What a difference... This thing was working like a charm. I was able to get all the wires replaced, resoldered, and the guitar back together within a half hour of this thing heating.. What a difference... That one from Radio Shack, even though it was extremely hot... Something wasn't right about...

Anyways... I got it back together.. And started to tighten up the string and guess what... SNAP.... No it wasn't a string.. it was my string winder... The stupid think just broke at the pivot... It was a cheap dollar job... But you have to understand at 11:30 at night, this was the last thing I needed...:FM:Devil. Fortunately the base of these things are solid plastic. So I took my Drill and bit, pre drilled a hole, then took a wood screw and screwed the winder end, back onto the handle... Worked like a charm. I replaced the strings with some earnie ball nines, and fired it up...

And guess...

Played like a charm...

However, the pickups suck horribly... The seller was right... These things sound like they have been wrapped in Reynolds Aluminium Foil. Very tingy and thin. I didn't know that Reynolds was a supplier to fender.

It's done... Still have some adjustments to do on it.. But I did take some pics..

here is one

[​IMG]

14. Voiceofasoul

Voiceofasoul Member

I'm toying around with a Squier Tele that's only a couple of years old. Full on tweaker guitar, so I'm throwing it around and just generally giving it a bit of character. Did an easy trade to get it, and I can't wait to get it back together and jam it.

15. Joe324

Joe324 Member

I'm not a squier owner but I have to admit it.

My names Joe, And I own an epiphone les paul with a bolt on neck.

I feel better now :AOK

16. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Me, I'm your average vinnidge gtr snob. The three basses I normally use are '52 and '61 Pbasses and '68 Tele bass. But, I was in a local music store last summer and noticed a tele bass-looking thing hanging on the rack, and picked it up. It wasn't too heavy, was fairly resonant, AND had the most amazingly psychodelic flamed maple neck! $269, no case. I was leaving on a six week cross-country tour in a coupla days, and I thought, "Perfect! Take this and leave the old ones at home!", so I bought it. I had to remove and throw away the crap pots and jack, and the truss rod took lots of gradual twisting over the period of a coupla weeks to straighten out with the heavy flats I put on, but it's a helluva gtr for the money. It is also the first (in maybe 40+ years of gtr buying) brand new gtr I've ever bought. Check out the wood in the neck:[​IMG]

17. cschamb

cschamb Member

I just found a Squire 'Masterbuilt' Esprit in the clearout room at a local store for just over $200. It's a funny guitar - kinda aimed at the Gibby guys: neck through body, wide neck, dual HB ('Duncan Designed'), solid body but sort of ES-335 ish shaped. The thing has full body binding and funky neck inlays (blocks of ?? with MOP stripes) and almost immaculate build quality. I haven't had the guitar setup yet but it plays pretty good off the rack. I plugged it in and the thing sounds great, not strat or LP sound but unique and usable - now for 2 bills that's a solid deal. I actually used this thing last weekend for a worship gig (with my LP as a backup !!).

Brian

18. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

Squier? I wouldn't own one.

So, I own three.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I bought this Jagmaster as a go to practice guitar. One band I'm in practice's near my day job, so the guitar sits in a car trunk in the hot Florida sun all day long. I wanted something that I wouldn't regret getting a little baked.
    [​IMG]

I added 6 way pickup swithcing (series/parallel/single coil) just because. It actually plays and sounds decent - not great, but for $200?

Because my GAS knows no bounds, I followed it up with a Squire '54. For $100, its' a cute little toy. I let my drummer's 3 year old play it when he comes over. I currently have it strung as a baritone (11 - 58) and tuned to B.

Yeah, and I own Epi's too.

20. bek

bek Member

Some great ideas and stories, here. Mine: I won a Squier Bullet Strat hardtail (cheapo, even for Squier) in a raffle, so it was REALLY inexpensive ($5 in tickets). I just put in a new pickguard with a set of ultra-low resistance vintage wind singles and a bucker in at the bridge, with a switch I had Deaf-Eddie (http://www.deaf-eddie.net/) work up for me:
    1-- neck (stock Strat)
    2-- Neck/middle (stock Strat "quack")
    3-- Neck/middle in-series, in parallel with the bridge humbucker
    4-- All in-parallel
    5-- bridge bucker alone

Master volume, tone on the neck pickup only, tone on the bridge bucker only. It's fantastic. Tone to die for, full-on Strat, almost-LP bridge tone, and the best mixture of the two I've ever heard (in the 3 & 4 positions). Number 3 is like #2 on steroids, number 4 is more LP with Strat-spank. Dang!