Squire Guitar - 2 Pt. Trem Question..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GuitarKidd, May 14, 2008.

1. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

I know, it's a squire.. But this is actually a Standard... So it's not that bad really... I really do like the maple neck as well. Very smooth. Just got it off the bay... Want to upgrade and all that.. Anyways..

It has the 2 pt. trem.. pretty nice actually.. And I want to know, can this be set to "float" so that I can bend either direction... It appears that it can... And right now I have it somewhat set up in a "floating" posistion.

Is this trem meant to be used like this or should it be set up so that the trem always rests against the body... I guess if I want it to float I should get some locking tuners now that I think about it. Somewhat new to a trem.. Both of my other guitars are string tune-o-matics..

Thanks for your help..

2. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Just played one of these at guitar center 5 minutes ago on my lunch break.

KILLER killer guitar for $200 bucks. I'd take that squier ANY DAY over a mexican made Fender standard. Better trem, better pickups, nicer finish...

You can totally set it up to float. Add some locking tuners and a graphite nut, and you'll be in business.

3. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

I bought it used off of Ebay... $110.00 bucks.. Red/Cherry burst with the tortise shell pickguard... Maple neck, ebony fret board I belive... Vintage oversized headstock.. I haven't taken pics of it yet... Maybe I will later and post them...

The pickups are definately going to have to go... I bought it primarily to upgrade and see if this is something that will fuel a desire for another strat. Just will have to see...

One thing that I really like so far is the string "suspension". Really easy to bend... The strings when in tune, seem to just bend with very little effort, and these aren't new strings... Much easier to bend than my LTD and Agile LP...(not that it's hard). But for some reason the strings have a loosness to them. Maybe it's trem... I'm not sure.. But this guitar is beggin for some Gilmour type bends and leads...

4. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Squiers are better guitars than people give them credit for being. You can set that up to float no problem and as was mentioned some better tuners and nut will be big improvements.

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Fender two point trems are designed to float about 1/8" off the body. If you float it more than that, you may need to shim the neck.

6. maccampbells

maccampbells Member

I bought my first squier this week. It's a mexican with a floyd rose. Weighs a ton. Great neck with the spaghetti logo. Awesome guitar at any price. I think it's time for a "Squiers Anonymous Club" thread.