Squire or...?

daacrusher2001

Supporting Member
OK, I am in a situation where I'll be traveling to CA on regular basis and I thought I'd buy a cheap guitar to leave out there so I can play in the evenings in the hotel (using VOX Amplug, or maybe I'll get a Pocket Pod)

I was thinking - maybe a Squire?

Then I tried 5 of them today and they ranged from really bad to pretty bad...things like fret finishing was dramatically different from one to the next.

What else is worth trying in that $150-$200 price range. I'm not expecting a lot, and I won't be using a real amp at any time with it. It's really just to keep me entertained while sitting round the hotel at night.

Thoughts?

powermatt99

I have a Classic Vibe that gives much pricier Fender models a run. The Vintage Modified are not bad either, but more variance in quality. In fact, I've played few USA Teles better than my two imports. I picked up my CV for $250 from CList. I've seen several others for around the same price.

datguytim

Go with a Classic Vibe - I've had some great Teles over the years, and I'm blown away by how good my '60s CV feels, plays, AND sounds! A steal at under $300 used/mint cond.

Bikedude

Gold Supporting Member
Some of those Squier's rock. I bought a Chinese made Affinity BSB Tele about 5 years ago for $139 closeout at GC, and it plays as good as anything I have. Stuck a set of Lollars in it and a 6 saddle string-thru, set of sperzels, and it's rock solid for around $400.

marktweedy

In Transit®
Silver Supporting Member
Used Danelectro reissue. I just picked one up (with HSC!) for $200.00 off the local CL. Outstanding value and cool sounding to boot.

daacrusher2001

Supporting Member
Some of those Squier's rock. I bought a Chinese made Affinity BSB Tele about 5 years ago for $139 closeout at GC, and it plays as good as anything I have. Stuck a set of Lollars in it and a 6 saddle string-thru, set of sperzels, and it's rock solid for around $400.
When I get out to SoCal next week I'll go shopping for all of the guitars you guys mentioned. It'll give me an excuse to stop by TrueTone again!

If I had the guitar here at home, I'd upgrade wiring, pups, etc...but I'm just going on business trips and won't have any tools with me except maybe a swiss army knife :rotflmao:rotflmao

GC had some low end schecters for something like $159. I tried one and it was ok but the neck was very thin. Playability was ok otherwise - since I'm likely going to use it through something solid state, I skipped the tube amps. It sounded ok.

If I have to get into the $500 range, then I'll probably get a PRS SE used or something like that.