Squire or...?

daacrusher2001

Supporting Member
Used Danelectro reissue. I just picked one up (with HSC!) for $200.00 off the local CL. Outstanding value and cool sounding to boot.
Actually, Dano's were at the top of my list, since they are cool and I don't have one!

Just don't want to drag it across the country with me. Maybe I'll grab a used one when I'm out west.

daacrusher2001

Supporting Member
So...I spent some time exploring guitar options while out west...Thanks for the suggestions. I determined a couple of things -

Squier - quality is too inconsistent, can't deal with it
Squier Classic Vibes - much better. Still some sketchy quality, but overall they were pretty good - pickups not great but I'll just be using them with my ipad
Jay Turser - only found one, didn't like the neck
Epiphones - forget the model, ~$300, similar to LP, necks and pickups seemed ok

Next price range up...the best ones were the PRS SE's - almost feel like it's worth a little extra money so I can bring it home someday and use it with a real amp.

The search continues...maybe a G&L Tribute Legacy, although the necks seem kinda thin

Last edited:

ksandvik

Test a Squier Deluxe Stratocaster. Seldom seen at GC but you might be lucky. Amazing quality for >$300.

dougb415

Silver Supporting Member
Squiers are certainly hit or miss, but when you find a good one, they are a steal. My wife got me a Squier Bullet for my birthday and told me to have fun modding it. $120 guitar, maybe $100 in parts and accessories, give it a good setup and you're golden. It's Fiesta Red, so I call it "The Sultan Of Swing" because it looks and sounds like Mark Knofler's Strat that he used in the late 70s. Plays WAY better than my Roadworn 60s Strat.

daacrusher2001

Supporting Member
Well, after trying a lot of guitars, I decided to just get a Squier Classic Vibe tele. It plays as well or better than any of the mexi's that I tried. In fact, I can't find a thing wrong with it. Neck is good, frets seem good, pickups are not exactly Fralin's, but they sound much better than the Standard or Affinity Squiers

Pretty cool Tele. I think I'll enjoy it, and if I want to, it's easy to upgrade components.

I did buy the Affinity first, but after a couple of hours with it, found that I couldn't deal with the smaller nut size. Made a simple open "D" chord challenging. Yikes...

So, I'm officially a Classic Vibe Owner.

Thank's for the recommendations, everyone...

nrandall85

daacrusher2001 said:
Well, after trying a lot of guitars, I decided to just get a Squier Classic Vibe tele. It plays as well or better than any of the mexi's that I tried. In fact, I can't find a thing wrong with it. Neck is good, frets seem good, pickups are not exactly Fralin's, but they sound much better than the Standard or Affinity Squiers

Pretty cool Tele. I think I'll enjoy it, and if I want to, it's easy to upgrade components.

I did buy the Affinity first, but after a couple of hours with it, found that I couldn't deal with the smaller nut size. Made a simple open "D" chord challenging. Yikes...

So, I'm officially a Classic Vibe Owner.

Thank's for the recommendations, everyone...
Congrats..... What model did you end up with? My beat to hell CV 50's Strat has become one of my main guitars.

Trending Topics