Squire or...?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by daacrusher2001, Jan 28, 2012.

1. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Actually, Dano's were at the top of my list, since they are cool and I don't have one!

Just don't want to drag it across the country with me. Maybe I'll grab a used one when I'm out west.

2. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

Great values the USA Predators. If you need to go new Jay Turser's are great in the $150-$200 range.

3. daacrusher2001

So...I spent some time exploring guitar options while out west...Thanks for the suggestions. I determined a couple of things -

Squier - quality is too inconsistent, can't deal with it
    Squier Classic Vibes - much better. Still some sketchy quality, but overall they were pretty good - pickups not great but I'll just be using them with my ipad
    Jay Turser - only found one, didn't like the neck
    Epiphones - forget the model, ~$300, similar to LP, necks and pickups seemed ok

Next price range up...the best ones were the PRS SE's - almost feel like it's worth a little extra money so I can bring it home someday and use it with a real amp.

The search continues...maybe a G&L Tribute Legacy, although the necks seem kinda thin

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

Test a Squier Deluxe Stratocaster. Seldom seen at GC but you might be lucky. Amazing quality for >$300.

5. daacrusher2001

Seriously...? Have you ever tried one? Could be good enough - provided it doesn't have the unfiled fret ends like the squire.

6. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Squiers are certainly hit or miss, but when you find a good one, they are a steal. My wife got me a Squier Bullet for my birthday and told me to have fun modding it. $120 guitar, maybe $100 in parts and accessories, give it a good setup and you're golden. It's Fiesta Red, so I call it "The Sultan Of Swing" because it looks and sounds like Mark Knofler's Strat that he used in the late 70s. Plays WAY better than my Roadworn 60s Strat.

7. kingturkeylord

kingturkeylord Member

+1 on the SX! I love my SXs. Great beater guitar, great modding platform. The fret work is actually really solid on them!

8. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Heard some good things about the Rondo lines. I've only personally played an Agile LP though (it was fantastic).

9. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

10. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

It's not a question of where he grips it, it's a simple weight ratio! A five ounce bird cannot hold a 7 pound guitar!

11. daacrusher2001

Well, after trying a lot of guitars, I decided to just get a Squier Classic Vibe tele. It plays as well or better than any of the mexi's that I tried. In fact, I can't find a thing wrong with it. Neck is good, frets seem good, pickups are not exactly Fralin's, but they sound much better than the Standard or Affinity Squiers

Pretty cool Tele. I think I'll enjoy it, and if I want to, it's easy to upgrade components.

I did buy the Affinity first, but after a couple of hours with it, found that I couldn't deal with the smaller nut size. Made a simple open "D" chord challenging. Yikes...

So, I'm officially a Classic Vibe Owner.

Thank's for the recommendations, everyone...

12. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

i have yet to meet a Squier that didn't turn into a player after a good set-up and a few mods.

13. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

what if they fly in tandem?

14. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Congrats..... What model did you end up with? My beat to hell CV 50's Strat has become one of my main guitars.

15. daacrusher2001

CV 50's Tele...butterscotch blonde. I have to say, it's pretty good.