Squire Tele Custom II with P90s vs. Classic Vibe?

RocknPop

Supporting Member
Looking at one of these vs. a Classic Vibe Tele. Haven't spent much time with them A|B bc I am buying used and the stores don't have both in stock.

Can you guys help me nail the differences? The only drawback I see with the Tele Custom is the P90s won't get me that signature twang that I am craving from a Tele.

vs.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
This here stunning player down in Aus-tone plays one.

One of the best guitar players I've ever seen. So there's yer answer.

strumnhum

I own a Classic Vibe-nice guitar, but you'd better like thin necks if you get one. I don't have large mitts, so the neck suits me, but some may not care for it. Does have the classic twang. Oh, and replace the saddles first thing-they really don't do the guitar justice. I put Glendale saddles on mine and greatly improved on it. But that's minor. Overall, a very nice guitar-and light too!

IRG

The P-90 version also has a much more natural feeling neck, not glossy at all. I seem to recall it being a bit chunkier, but sort of narrow. But that's an old memory. I would play both if you can - they're pretty different overall, except for the basic tele shape.

edwarddavis

Silver Supporting Member
I just trade my tele classic vibe custom,literally with in the hour, trust me I will get another
Great guitar, but I assume the p90 model is nice too
Great cheap guitars

Sensates

The P-90 version also has a much more natural feeling neck, not glossy at all. I seem to recall it being a bit chunkier, but sort of narrow. But that's an old memory. I would play both if you can - they're pretty different overall, except for the basic tele shape.
+1. Theyre quite different.

The P90 tele has a thick, rawking tone, chunkier matte neck. The CV Tele are a bit mellow to my taste but its more in the ballpark of a classic tele, neck is thin, lacquered.

I thought the CV has a better overall quality than the Tele Custom, but the P90 Custom has more vibe.

JStizz

if youre craving tele twang then you HAVE to get the Classic Vibe. The Custom II is something I've been itching for for a long time, but that's partially bc I already have a tele.

Those P90s are not going to give you tele twang. Especially with that bridge. The traditional bridge plate and saddles are a huge proponent to classic tele tone.

sryangtr

I traded my Custom II w/P90s for a laptop for my wife and regret it. It was a straight up rock machine. I loved the neck on it. Great bang for the buck and I hope to find another one with the same mojo someday. Definitely not a twanger, though.

rodeodee

I've had one as a workhorse for 6 years now. When I got it, some had done a dodgy spray repair near the jack, but apart from that, it's a decent guitar. The hardware is not great (I upgraded to a gibson toggle, and a decent fender bucket jack. Also sheilded the pickguard and put a treble bleed on the pots. The tuners are okay, stable but not smooth. However, it's a great sounding guitar. I've had so many people randomly come up and tell me that the "yellow" sounds fantastic. For that reason, I am hanging on to it. The bridge pickup is not as great as the neck, but the neck pickup is a winner. Tone like you wouldn't beleive. Very cool workhorse.

cowboytim

I have both these guitars....Custom D....I redid the neck finish with true oil, made a new nut. New P-90s by Jim Wagner of WCR, all 50s wiring new pots made for Jim by CTS. The Custom Deluxe is now a world class guitar!
The Classic Vibe I bought "new" at Guitar Center...it was beat up pretty good on the pine body...Paid 150.00 out the door....I have not changed a thing, those Alnico III mags sound incredible. I play this guitar more then ANY other....through a HW Vox AC 15 head and Vintage 1960s Celestion Alnico speakers.....Classic vibe tele is sweet!

Trending Topics