Squire Tele Thinline

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lscott, Jan 14, 2008.

1. lscott

lscott Member

Has anyone played or purchased one?There's a new one on Ebay with a BIN of $275.That's what a blank Warmoth or Allparts body would cost.

2. PaddyBrumson

PaddyBrumson Member

I've got one of these Vintage Modified Thinlines and like it a lot. The Squier Indonesian build quality has a good rep so far. The shorter scale neck is a factor. I like it for a change from a regular Tele neck. The pickups will be a matter of taste. They are a bit bright, but the tone pot has a nice range and the responds well to an adjustment. The only nit I can pick is that the 7.5" radius may not be accurate. Mine seems closer to 9.5" radius. Could also be a good platform for modding if everything is standard, which it seems to be just looking at it.

3. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

I just played one in a store today and was reasonably impressed, although I didn't plug it in to get an idea of the sound... The neck was quite nice but the pots/switch seemed pretty low end. When I looked closer I saw a crack in the finish running from one of the bridge screws to the end of the guitar and it wasn't clear if it came that way or the damage happened in the store (although they did say it was pretty new). The price here in Canada was $280 so your Ebay BIN doesn't seem like any deal to me... As the other person wrote, it might be a good platform for a few upgrades...
    Best,
    Michael

4. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

I've enjoyed mine. It's good enough to scratch my Tele itch & inexpensive enough to mod without fear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i'm very interested in one of these....would you think that most after market parts would fit this tele.........eg: callaham ect??

6. Jayonguitar

Jayonguitar Member

I had been looking for a new guitar for the last couple years and in that time saved up enough money that the price of the guitar was not a concern. So casually from time to time would hit up the local guitar stores and just play everything waiting for the right guitar to call out to me. In that time I sampled a ton of Strats, Teles and even a few hollow bodies of every price range but nothing really did it for me. Well on my last outing I picked up a VM, Thinline Tele and immediately fell in love with the neck. I was completely blown away how perfect the neck was on the little Squire and I mean every aspect of it. I felt totally at home on this guitar and bought it on the spot. My friends were shocked I bought a Squire and I guess I was too really but I bought it based on my hands and ears and not with my eyes. It's kind of nice having such a well playing inexpensive guitar because when I take it to guitar class once a week and band practice twice a week I don't have to worry about it in the slightest. With all the extra cash I have left over I would like to upgrade a few things on it and am also curious what after market parts fit.

7. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

I changed the bridge plate & saddles from six to three to accommodate the Bigsby. I was able to use this vintage plate as a replacement. All of the holes lined up perfectly.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I'm not familiar with the guitar but if that bridge lined up perfectly, any vintage style (Callaham, Glendale, etc.) bridge should work.

9. bynt

bynt Member

Me to on the cheap guitars. I like the nice ones, but I'm a sucker for an awesome playing "crappy" guitar. Thanks for the review and welcome to TGP!!! I've been really interested in these little guys myself. I'm hoping that the store where I work will get some in eventually so I can try it out first hand. I've got the Tele itch bad.