Squirrel comes back in spades in Helix 2.81 (Tweed Nrm)? LOL

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Mark Al, Sep 5, 2019.

1. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

And that means all those who say they hear squirrells on Helix and cant stand it and say its annoying NEVER played or even heard the real thing.

LeicaBossNJ likes this.
  2. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Some amps.

:horse

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  3. benifin

benifin Member

In the Amp Block, if you haven't already tried this, reduce the HUM to 0 and the RIPPLE to 0

Ben

Mark Al and LordByron like this.
  4. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  5. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Member

I do see a gap of what many modeler people want and what amps actually do.

Viscous cycle. Modeler crowd wants glossed over versions of amps, people criticize modeling to be fake and unrealistic, modeling companies make products more realistic, modeling people whine.

rd2rk and LordByron like this.
  6. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I always thought squirrels were the true squeltchy digital artifacts some modelers used to have on decay rather than the clip here which just kinda sounds like the things I don't like about Tweed amps.

Cool Hand Luke, LordByron and Lele like this.
  7. Guitarzman

Guitarzman Member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    RandoMan and dmock66 like this.
  8. marcel_blade

marcel_blade Member

I think wat we call squirrels is actually so called crossover distortion wich I believe is a interaction between the pre and power stage. i found higher bias settings reduces it , lowering the bias makes it far worse.

9. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

"modeler x doesn't quite get distortion right"

"Real amps distort. Clearly you've never played a real amp"

That about how this conversation is going for you @mbenigni ? :beer

mbenigni likes this.
  10. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

That's exactly it.

Musical notes are not a constant but are a wave. Different frequencies are literally just waves at different rates. When multiple waves are playing at the same time, the overall amplitude can peak and dip as those waves interact with each other. So you can play a chord and as it decays the amplitude will subtly rise and fall.

For example, tuning your guitar with harmonics (5th fret of one string and 7th fret of the next). If they aren't in tune, you can hear the "beating" almost sound like a tremolo pedal. That's because those frequencies are canceling and reinforcing each other.

[​IMG]

RandoMan and LordByron like this.
  11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I can't hear it well unless super close inspection and someone calling this out in a recording. I personally think edge of breakup, especially Tweed amps are incredibly hard to replicate in the digital realm because of how dynamic they are and the push/pull of the "ecosystem".
    (S-Gear's tweed is pretty killer!)
    I think sometimes you need to take a step back and appreciate the playing and tones and how they sit in the recording.

mikah912 likes this.
  12. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

RandoMan likes this.
  13. jpelzel

jpelzel Member

I've always equated the squirrel sound to that of a short like a dirty pot or subpar cable.

I hear it it fractal stuff too but they have what seems like an extra layer of I don't know what (sweetener) that sort of blends it in a tad more. Helex with it's slight inherent brightness makes it just stand out a tad more.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    mbenigni likes this.
  14. sixeight

sixeight Member

Listening to the same samples of crossover distortion or squirrels of real amps versus Helix, I find the real amps distortion to be sweeter on the real amp.

To me it is not a big problem. It just means there are some amp models that do not work for me. The Helix is still checking the most boxes of all the current modelers for me. So I am happy. The 100% ideal modeler does not exist and probably never will...

mbenigni and EL84 Abuser like this.
  15. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

I say this as well when i use my tonelab se and hear guys talk about digital aliasing=squirrels. If one units squirrels are" normal" then they all are right?

16. RonH

RonH Member

I don't hear anything odd at all. I actually love the sound of that clip! It sounds really, really, really good! Great playing and tone!

Mark Al likes this.
  17. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

:agree

For the same reason that the OP and you have mentioned, I'm back to using my KPA, but I'm keeping my Helix because I really hope that one day I'll figure out how to dial it out. IMHO, the Helix without that tonal harshness would be perfect!

mbenigni likes this.
  18. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

I've posted this before, but I'll post it again: Many (probably all) of us who don't like this artifact don't give a rat's @ss if it's a "real amp thing". We simply want to be able to eliminate it (and note that this does not mean eliminate it for those who actually like it - both camps need to be able to get their tonal nirvana out of the Helix).

mbenigni and EL84 Abuser like this.
  19. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

That's called "tube leak".

:D

mbenigni and Jdstrat like this.
  20. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

Both groups simply want their guitar tones to sound the way that they want them to. It's a goal shared by all of us and it's not hard to understand (nor is anyone, in either group, whining). :dunno

dmock66 likes this.