SRB808 2 in 1 Owners ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman1956, Jun 16, 2008.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

I just received mine today. Compared to my Barber LTD (Black) it is a little trebly in nature where the Barber LTD is "slightly" warmer. Anyone else? I'd like to make the SRB my "go to" low gainer, but need the Trebly Nature toned down a bit...It is an outstanding pedal however....Any thoughts?

thanks

2. Curly

Curly Member

have you asked Dave about this?

I think he offers to "make it right" for anyone who's not totally satisfied -- I'm paraphrasing, you'll need to check his site to be certain.

but FYI, he's also having some health problems, so it may take a while.

3. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

I've got the twin toggle v.4 SRB808+, and it is a little brighter than my Direct Drive as well. Going through my DRRI the Barber is warmer, but also alot more compressed. I find the SRB to be much more open, with a little more mids than the Barber, and i find it to be sweeter. I really like the SRB808 can you tell?;)

4. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Can't you just back off the tone knob on your guitar?Better to have it a little too bright than to have it too dark.You can compensate for an overly bright pedal but it's harder to compensate for too dark.(in my experience).
    I have a twin toggle SRB808 and think it's the best 808 style pedal I've tried in 20 + years. Although I do have an analogman 808 coming and am eager to compare the two.

5. guitarman1956

6. Blues Jr

Another bump. Got any more play time with your SRB guitarman?

7. guitarman1956

Only in my family room to this point...I have two gigs with it this weekend...Gonna put it up against the Barber LTD. If I didn't already have the barber Ltd, keeping the SRB would be a no-brainer.

8. Blues Jr

I had a LTD awhile back, and sold it once i got the SRB:) I had a jam last weekend, and brought both the SRB & Direct Drive and played a Strat through my DRRI. I've always really liked the Direct Drive, but it's much more compressed sounding to my ears than the SRB. I found the SRB just has this inherent sweetness and clarity, especially in the TS setting that just keeps me playing.

9. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I had a v3 2-in-1 and loved it. I sold it to get a single channel but never got one. I fully intend to replace The SRB soon. I sing it's praises every chance I get. The recent v4 is supposed to have less bass which may translate to sounding more trebly. The v3 was great with a strat. Also I agree that sweetness is one of the qualities that make the SRB808+ such a pleasure to play.

10. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

I just got mine yesterday and had time to demo it a few minutes before my gig. I got the low gain on one side and higher on the other side.
    The higher gain is much brighter than the low gain side.
    You may want to get yours converted to one or both sides as low gain....I may get mine done to have both low gain.
    I'll post a review after I've had more time with it.

BTW...does anyone know how to do this...or do they need to be sent back to Dave?

Thanks

11. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I was going to ask if Anyone got a low and high gain 2-in-1. One thing that would be cool on those is if He could make it so one toggle switches between channels and the other bypasses it all together. That would make it easier to use as a rhythm/lead OD.

12. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

I believe you can get a 3rd stomp switch on the 2 in 1 that will bypass both...and making it easy to do that.

13. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Thin and bright...or bass-heavy and generally unusable.

[​IMG]

14. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

This thing kills thru my Classic 30! I might try some other opamps just for kicks. The low gain section is outstanding...higher gain is really nice too, but may get it converted to low gain also. I'm playing a tele and can get kinda bright on the higher gain section...even with the tone on the pedal all the way down.