SRB808+ Sound/Feel Opinions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iamspartacus, Feb 4, 2008.

1. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

So after using the search function several times looking for opinions on how the SRB808+ sounded/felt, most of what I've come up with are discussions on Landgraffs, pricing, marketing, and cloning.

I'd like to actually see what people think of the pedal in terms of playability and feel. I just received mine and haven't really gotten a chance to give it a good spin, but I'll definitely put in my own thoughts when I get a chance.

Any takers?

2. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

I had a 2-in-1 and loved it. So much so that after selling it and getting something similar I regretted it and bought the 2 channel version. The feel is what I dug about it. It just feels like a great amp and has a clear growl to it. Not just that it feels good, it feels Right! I plan to see if it's possible to wire it so the bass boost kicks in when I switch it to channel B. I'm getting a Stuart Swunlan version btw. If it doesn't sound as good as the regular I'll probably off it and wait for a v3 to pop up on ebay.

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I love my SRB808 two channel. Feels like a real amp, good control, very responsive. Great at low volumes and really sings at stage volume.

4. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

what are your diode settings and bass boost settings?

when i tried it out, i really dug the TS side. i was suspicious of how well the ts side would sound because the "marshall" and "clean boost" settings were already very, very good. I was afraid of a lot of "honky-ness," but what I got was something really sweet like a well-mannered TS. Switching on and off the bass boost didn't make a ridiculously gigantic change in the EQ like the CMATMODS screamer I had once (which essentially make only one setting usable). All the settings were remarkably musical and usable.

The clean boost side surprised me a lot as well. I thought it would actually be a clean boost, but instead, it's a dirty boost with very little coloration in my sound. It reminded me a lot of the Brent Mason BD-2 I had and loved (for some reason I sold it). It was definitely a LOT louder than the Marshall and TS clipping settings (perhaps the diodes are switched out in this setting)

I tried "Marshall" diode arrangement for a little bit. From my first impressions, it was definitely a lot more compressed, which would be great for some sustaining lead tone or low gain crunch.

But again, I haven't gotten a chance to twiddle with this pedal as much as I would have liked, and I'm going to have to wait for the weekend until I can.:jo

5. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

sorry to hijack...but just order one of these. How long do they take to arrive? Can't wait to try it out!

6. Guitar Josh

From reading this, it sound like you'd really like the dual or 2 channel model. I keep the bass boost on and prefer the "landgraff clipping" option engaged.

7. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

Supposedly like 3 months. I bought this one over the weekend. Can't wait till it gets here. It is a single OD with 2 switchable gain pots. If I can figure a way, I'd like to wire it so the bass boost comes on when switched to the B channel.

8. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

I wonder if the srb808 are made from BYOC screamer PC boards....

9. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

Looking inside my pedal, it's definitely not a hand-etched, PTP, or Vero board. The construction and wiring is neat and tidy, so it looks like this pedal will last for a while.

I actually do own a dual pedal in "grabber green." The green is really, REALLY green, which isn't my cup of tea, but whatever, I bought the pedal for its sounds right? I can't wait to cascade the different modes into each other to see what kind of sounds it can make.

Any other opinions?

10. Guitar Josh

Nope.

11. Merelington

Merelington Member

Alright, finally someone makes a SRB808 thread...i've been looking for one of these for some time (I'm new to this board). I ordered one two weeks ago, and Dave told me the wait should be about 2 months. This thread has eased my mind BUT now I want it even sooner.

12. Guitar Josh

Dave makes em all by hand with his wife. I think the lead time is a bit too long, but he claims to be only able to make something like two a day.

13. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

It's probably not is day job. It took almost four months to get mine, but it's mainly because of medical needs in his family and a quick vacation during the winter.

14. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

There was a huge thread last year. Can't remember the title but the title probably didn't have srb808 in it. It's one of the best pedals I've ever owned.

jon

15. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

I got a 2 channel SRB w/ the Swunlin mods today. I didn't have time to try it out. I'll play with it later and report on it. Dave said it only affects the Marshall mode and is a grainier sound. Other than that it's a version 3.

16. Merelington

Merelington Member

Whats the "Swunlin" mod?

The only customizations I had (and was aware of)...was to have one side as my light OD and the other as the normal heavier OD. They both have different LED colours and I had the box painted white. I also put myself on the waitlist for a King of Tone. Can't wait to compare.

17. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I just talked to Dave today and he's building me one with a clean boost feature for goosing my NMV heads. I'm excited and a full report will follow.

18. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

The Swunlin (spell check please) mod is one He did for Stuart Swunlin of The Marshall Tucker Band. He said it only affects the assymetrical setting and is as He put it "harsher". Other than that it's a V.3.

19. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

OK, it's Swanlund. My bad. Got to plug it in tonight. Man it's good to be back! There doesn't seem to be a huge difference from the standard v.3. This has Me wanting another 2-in-1. Maybe a v.3 on one side and a low gain on the other. Royal Blue would be nice.:drool

20. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

So I got a chance to give my 2-in-1 another whirl with my band this saturday.

For the "Marshall" type clipping, the pedal sounded pretty good. Like I said, there was a good enough amount of compression and grit to really make some nice crunch tones. Unfortunately, my Wampler (Indyguitarist) Pexidrive was right next to it for comparisons, and the Plexidrive won the "Marshall" sound competition hands down. The "Marshall" clipping isn't bad, and is very useful, but if you want true crunch and sag, the Plexidrive is it.

The clean boost setting is very cool. Like I mentioned before, it's more like a dirty boost (no clipping diodes?). Not quite as smooth as the Wampler Ecstasy pedal I got, but still very tasty in its own regard. Turing the gain down below 9 o'clock and setting the volume to taste gave me a great cleaner boost that was really useful for a leads.

The TS side is where this pedal shines. My strat neck pickup setting starting singing and chirping like nothing I've ever heard before. There's a good amount of gain available on the TS side, and boosting it with the "clean boost" setting gave my strat so sick saturated tone that cut through the mix very well. I had gone ga-ga over the Musician's Junkyard Screamer, but this take on the TS might force me to put the MJ Screamer up on the Emporium sometime soon :eek: