SRV Fender Serial question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Morgancograve, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Morgancograve

Morgancograve Member

Hi guys.

I'm about to purchase a used SRV Strat from 2011.
    Looking at the serial it seems to be legit, it's US11120679

But when I type it into the fender serial number searches it tells me it doesn't exist. Maybe artist series guitars don't show up?

Thanks for any help [​IMG]

2. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

my SRV has s/n: SZ107_ _ _.

my Malmsteen Strat also has the SZ as part of its serial number.

3. mxvin

mxvin Member

This new scheme uses the letters “US” as a prefix to designate an instrument made in the United States, followed by an eight-digit number. The first two digits of the number identify the year of manufacture, (10 for 2010, 11 for 2011, etc.). The following six digits are the unit identifier, although it should be noted that these final six numbers are not sequential and do not provide any other identification information about the instrument. This new scheme is now used on the majority of U.S.-made Fender instruments, with exceptions including the American Vintage series and certain special-run instruments.

Signature Series Instruments
    SE(XXXXXX)
    SN(XXXXXX)
    SZ(XXXXXX)
    SE8(XXXXX)-1988, SE9(XXXXX)-1989
    SN0(XXXXX)-'90, SN1(XXXXX)-’90, SN2(XXXXX)-’92, etc.
    SZ0(XXXXX)-2000, SZ1(XXXXX)-2001, SZ2(XXXXX)-2002, etc.

4. John C

John C Supporting Member

EDIT: Took too long to type; this adds to mxvin's info:

Where are you looking for the serial number information? A lot of the guitar dater type sites have never caught up with Fender's serial changes.

Fender changed their serial number format in 2010, abandoning the "Letter + number" prefix that you decoded for the year. From January to March of 2010 the format was a "10" followed by 6 digits (so it looked like 10xxxxxx) - and the "10" doesn't look that different from the other 6 digits. Around the end of March/early April they adopted the "US10" followed by 6 digit format (so it looks like US10xxxxxx) and that "US10" part is bolder and in a different font than the remaining 6 digits.

So "US11xxxxxx" is a legit serial number for a Fender made from roughly March 2011 through March 2012 - as the number prefix now "changes over" in March of a given year for USA guitars.

The other thing Fender did in 2010 was drop the "extra prefixes" that they were using on Artist models and American Deluxe models. artist models used to have an "S" in front of the letter that indicated the decade, so in the case of musicman10_1's SRV his serial number was "SZ1xxxxx". You would decode that as "S" for "Signature", "Z" for "Zeros" or "200x", and the "1" made it "2001". Fender had used that format since the original Artist Signatures were introduced in 1988. Similarly they added a "D" before the other letter for American Deluxe models - so a 1999 American Deluxe would have a "DN9xxxxxx" serial number, a 2005 would have a "DZ5xxxxxx" number, etc.

As I say those were dropped when they started using the new number formats in 2010.

5. Morgancograve

Morgancograve Member

Well this all seems very reassuring.

The guitar dater project was the site I was using.

Glad to hear that the 'S' was dropped for signature guitars, and the US prefix is legitimate for signature models.

Thanks for all the info.