SRV fuzz pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Brian Johnston, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I very much like the Fuzzbubble-45, a dual pedal with a Pete Townshend side and a Jimi Hendrix side. The makers (Analog Alien) is coming out with a SRV based fuzz... it was demoed at NAMM... anyone hear one?

2. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Would be interested as well.

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

There already is an SRV fuzz...

... its called the diaz squareface. Seriously, its the circuit diaz built into SRV's fuzzes. I even had a chat with the current makers of the pedal and SRV had the same pedal but with lower gain transistors.

4. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Apprently the SRV-45 will retail for about $169... whereas the squareface is $225. Curious to know the sound differences.

5. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I contacted the company (Analog Alien), and this sounds very cool... this is the email response I got:

Joe and I have many pedals at the studio - well over 50. One of them is an original Caesar Diaz Square face, one that is identical to the one he made fro SRV. Joe loves the pedal, but like so many fuzz pedals - it only does on thing and that's it. So one day he said to me, " do you think you can take this fuzz and improve on it". After much trial and tribulation I came up with a different circuit, one that not only sounds better, but does a hole hell of a lot more. The controls are, Input, Output and Stab. The Stab control, unlike the Haze control on the jimi, doesn't control the feedback voltage, it sets the bias current to the final transistor, which is a GE. There is no feedback voltage control, the voltage set by me inside the box - the Diaz doesn't do this. Like the jimi the Stab and input are linked together. You can go from full fuzz to TS-9 in a heartbeat! This pedal has a tremendous amount of output gain. You reach unity gain at around 10:00!

But, I couldn't leave well enough alone. Joe said, "are you going to add another effect to it, like the FB-45"? I didn't want to because I thought it was great by itself. There's a reason why there are two effects in that pedal. But, I thought about it and what I came up with is something that is always over looked by so many guitarists....a buffer circuit! Plug your wah pedal into a fuzz and it never works. But put a buffer in between and wala!....there you go. So that's what I did. The best part is that you can switch the buffer in and out independently from the fuzz. So you have a Wah, the SRV-45 and let's say you have a vintage Dallas Arbitor or peppermint fuzz or what ever and you need a buffer with them to make your wah work right, now you've got one! It's an IC buffer, too so it's top of the line. You can run several feet of guitar cable from the output of the SRV-45 and go right into your amp and there is no loss in signal or coloration. Not that you'd do that, but you can if you want to. And that's the quick story and rundown about the new pedal. It will be available some time in March.

6. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Supporting Member

7. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

:rolleyes:

Sorry, thats F@#$ing retarded. They're making a "SRV fuzz" product that THEY think they've improved on. So you're telling me they not only did something Diaz couldn't do, but they made something that will sound "Better" then SRV.

Thats dumb. Just dumb. Sorry. This pisses me off. Guitar gear has gotten ridiculous. Its one thing to just design a fuzz you like, its another to tag it to a famous name (actually, initials since they'd probably get sued if they used his real name) to get great sales and then claim it sounds "better', WHICH IS OPINION, then the artist you are attaching your name to. Remember, fuzz circuits are extremely simple (something like 8 components total) and infinitely easy to vary.

So, in reality, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with SRV. But they're happy to Stick those initials on it to improve sales. Sounds like a snake-oil sellers to me.

8. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Huh? Relax and have a coffee. Their focus is two fold... emulate the SRV sound, but add other options and possibilities so that you have more than a one-trick pony and more flexibility in your playing if you want to deviate somewhat or a lot from a typical SRV sound. That's all I got out of it.

9. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Thats what you got.

I got marketing buzzwords to excite buyers... and it looks like its working.

As I said, making a new fuzz pedal is fine. Don't really care. but the second you attach yourself to a Dead artist starting from the design of a dead Amp-tech you're bording on moral dishonesty.

now, if they had first hand worked with SRV when he was alive, and he personally told them some things he wished Diaz would have done or could have done, then this would be a VERY exciting product. But its not. Its just typical pedal makers brainstorming on the best way to position themselves in an already EXTREMELY crowded market.

10. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Well... don't buy it. I really like the FuzzBubble-45 (and they never worked with Hendrix or Townshend) and the quality of it... one of my favorite pedals. And these two guys run a recording studio and have worked with some quality artists. They're in the trenches and, as a result, I'm curious to hear what it can do.

11. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

12. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

They should put a switch to toggle between EJ, Hendrix and SRV. Maybe Bonamossa too but that may be too many positions on one switch.

13. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

There's a heck of a lot going on with the FuzzBubble-45... to then integrate other artists would require a whole pedal board (larger floor board like a POD). Maybe that's where it needs to go... a huge analog pedal based on classic tones through the ages.

14. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

:rimshot

15. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Member

Actually, they make a 5-way switch (think Fender), so there is room for a Clapton setting. :D

16. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

We're not trying to burst your Fuzz Bubble.

17. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

:rimshot

actually LOL on that one!

18. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I have no dog in this race but didn't CD change Transistors on the fly and offer the same up for the next guy working with SRV? If this post offends anyone send me a PM and I will remove it.

19. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

I don't understand why that would be offensive, but I guess I don't really understand what you're saying either.

20. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

At least they admit it is not the same thing?

Seems like a search for a more accurate version is in order, no? :huh