SRV Little Wing Recording

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bdam123, Feb 21, 2012.

1. bdam123

bdam123 Member

You guys can spare with me all the tone is in the fingers stuff and how I should be chasing my own tone as oppose to someone else's. I just need a simple question answered.

What amp is SRC going through in his studio recording of Little Wing?

Thanks

2. FLStratcat

FLStratcat Member

3. Tone-Control

Tone-Control Supporting Member

4. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

From what I understand it was recorded during the Couldn't Stand the Weather sessions. But later released after his death on "Sky is Crying".

Couldn't Stand the Weather, where i place his absolute best album tone, was done with 4 amps

2 super reverbs set clean and bright
    2 Vibroverbs set dirty and dark

All with JBL E-series speakers.

You can clearly see/hear this setup in action if you catch him "live in Tokyo" around 1985

5. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Did he use any pedals in that song?

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I thought his Supers had EVs?

7. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

8. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

And lots and lots of volume!

9. ComanchePlayer

ComanchePlayer Member

Yea but, I read an article that Little Wing was recorded through a Steel String Singer with a quad of KT-66 tubes in it. If he used a pedal it was probaly just the ts for the gain as the SSS's were really clean amps. I gotta try and find that article.

10. ComanchePlayer

ComanchePlayer Member

I know what ya mean about that tone, it's been the one I've been chasing off and on for years. Holy Grail tone for sure.

Unexplainedbacon likes this.
  11. bdam123

bdam123 Member

Yea, this is my all time favorite strat tone. Thanks for the input guys.

Unexplainedbacon likes this.
  12. broknstuff

broknstuff Member

My personal favorite tone and playing, the holy grail.

13. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

You should be able to replicate it with any Fender Blackface amp. Set Bass to 10, Treb to 7 and Mid to 4-6. Use position 4 on a Strat. You shouldn't need a pedal, other than a booster maybe.

14. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I always thought srv was partial to 10 in speakers instead of 12s. Was i just misinformed all those years ago? Looks like ALOT of 12's in that first pic.

15. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

I always wondered if he was using the SSS for that track. There is a clip on youtube of a guy in his bedroom with a vibroverb and a strat that comes as close as i've seen. let me see if i can dig it up.

16. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

looks like he's using a Fender VV and SR as described in one of the earlier posts.

17. ComanchePlayer

ComanchePlayer Member

The pup position is key also, he uses every position in that song except the bridge. He starts out in the b-m position and goes up from there at certain points in the song.

18. ComanchePlayer

ComanchePlayer Member

Okay I found the quote Its actually from a tube page I was using for research a few years back. You can find the page here...

http://reocities.com/rainforest/3612/6L6tubes.html

However this is the portion discussing KT-66 tubes, the SSS, and Little Wing. It's not very authoritative so to speak so take it for what it's worth.

"In the end we allowed ourselves a test with the new KT66-CRT STR/China from Ruby Tubes. This model has a different designation as well as deviations in design, but it can nevertheless be plugged into any amplifier originally equipped with 6L6 tubes. But they need much higher heater currents than their relatives. Apart from a possibly required bias readjustment one should measure the heater voltage. Should the meter show much less than 6.3 volts then beware! The power transformer may die per overheating. In our test amp this, however, was no problem. KT66 basically are HiFi tubes and came into use in the 200 watts tops from Marshall. Stevie Ray Vaughan used to run a quartet of KT66 in his famed Dumble Steel String singer amp. Whoever has heard his record "The sky is crying" (eg Little Wing) has had a glimpse of how these tubes sound. They cost about double the price for 6L6 tubes, but show sound properties that simply threw us off base! Regarding linearity and clearness these tubes surpass all others. They are exrtemely loud and thrustful and have excellent dynamics. These tubes let the guitar's strings twang so metallically and fresh that we almost could not believe it. As well in the distortion region - and considering their headroom this means extreme volume levels - the sound of the KT66 always remains clear and stable. The sound quality of a Stevie Ray Vaughan is really newly discovered with this tube. We also recommend this tube to Rockabilly players. A "thick" Gretsch unfolds its true capabilities thru these "thick" tubes in an uncomparable way".

19. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Not yet. Diaz didn't sign a EV contract until sometime in 1985 and Couldn't stand the weather was recorded in '84.

I've had a long belief that Stevie's tone went downhill sometime after 1985 and I think its the overly smooth/flat sound of the EVs versus the bright woody percussive sound of JBLs.

Here is a sound sample I made to demonstrate the clear differences between the JBL and EV speaker in a vibroverb cranked up:

E130 JBL in Vibroverb

EVM15L in Vibroverb

WTF? This stuff makes me annoyed. Some random website that has quick blurbs that I've never seen repeated anywhere ever. KT66s in his Dumbles? How do they know that? Doesn't help the credibility for them to claim they were "hifi" tubes in 200 watt Marshalls. They're confusing them with KT88s.

20. ComanchePlayer

ComanchePlayer Member

Hey Tyler, the clips sound awesome, I do like the JBL's better I think. Although, to my ear they both have their merits.

As far as the article goes, I would like to know where they got their info, At the top of the page it references it's source as a german music magezine called "Muziker Zsene". I believe that would translate to "Music Scene" Magezine. Anyway, I always wondered about the KT66 or KT88 thing myself.