SRV owners, any thoughts on how to value this ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tonedrip, Jun 15, 2006.

1. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

In a recent trade deal with a freind of mine that owns a Music store, I picked up a 1991 SRV signature strat(1st year production I believe) ser # SE 914485 that was put away and kept in the case since it's original purchase. The guitar has not been played , the plastic wrap is still on pickguard and trem cavity cover, and I see no evidence anywhere of being played. All tags and candy in the case, which also has plastic still on the hinges etc.

I had the guitar set up , and it plays wonderfully. It is resonant and very light, with stunning looks. Anyway , I cannot bring myself to putting wear on this baby. I am not a collector and allready have a couple of workhorse strats. Therefore I am considering selling or trading.

Any Ideas on the value of such a beast ? I see the ebay prices for recent models in the $1300 - $1500 range .

Thanks in advance.

2. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

According to the S/N it is an 89.
    They must have started building them early since they were introduced in 1/91. The early ones had a Brazilian RW Fretboard. I would keep it myself.

From Fender's web site:

Signature Series Instruments
    SE8(XXXXX)-'88, SE9(XXXXX)-'89
    SN0(XXXXX)-'90, SN1(XXXXX)-'90, SN2(XXXXX)-'92, etc.
    SZ0(XXXXX)-'00, SZ1(XXXXX)-'01, SZ2(XXXXX)-'02, etc.

3. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Check the serial number and the serial number dating scheme carefully. I don't SRV even died until 1990, and I'm almost sure the sig model was released posthumously.

jb

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

There's a discrepency on early SRV numbers - if I remember the details I'll post it! They definitely were not released until the early nineties I know.

Best, Pete.

5. kev

kev Member

To reference Pete's reply, here's the best reference I have found on the subject of dating the SRV models: http://www.srvfanclub.com/srv-strat.htm

OK.

Throw your salt shaker over your shoulder before reading my reply.

Your guitar most likely won't bring much more than the other years. The largest difference in the dollars seems to be the obsession with whether or not it (your guitar in this case) has a BRW board or a Pau Ferro board. I would not expect more than a couple to a few hundred dollars more, even with a BRW board. Maybe, if you catch someone on a good day, you might get significantly more. I'm not advocating this, but parting it out also may bring you more. Ended eBay auctions (as you indicate that you are aware of) are a place to start for some market value, as I have not seen a better source for 1992 valuations.

The model given to Tommy Shannon sold for around $3500.00 on eBay last year. That's as high a sale of a "first year" I have personally seen/heard of.

I hesitate to say anything further, since there seems to be a lot of smoke and mirrors surrounding the SRV model and the "first year" of production.

I will share my own experience with my personal guitar. I bought mine new in June of 1992. It was my understanding then, that the model's first year of production was 1992.

Yours, based solely upon the serial number, seems to indicate that it was assembled in 1992. The best way to find out is to pull the neck off and check for the date on the body and neck.

How and why Fender used that serial number series is beyond my firsthand knowledge. I will say that the research I have, including my own guitar's serial number and neck/body dates, indicates that SE 90xxxx and some 91xxxx are typically within the 1992 range. For example, my serial number is SE 9085xx, with a neck date in March '92. Another one I know of is SE 915096 and has a neck date of 10/26/92 (which happens to be my birthday, if anyone knows where this one is, let me know...please!).

Take plenty of pictures, with a neck off/date showing shot being one, and my best to you.

Other than that, if you really like it, I'd say keep it and sell off something else. If that model ever goes significantly up in value, condition may not matter more than a few hundred dollars difference anyway.

So, speaking as an obsessive, what is the neck date and does it have a BRW board or not? ;)

Kev

6. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

Fender was developing the SRV model before he died.

From Fender's web site:

The legendary Stevie Ray Vaughan collaborated with Fender to produce a signature Stratocaster guitar shortly before his tragic and untimely death in 1990.

7. Tomo

Tomo Member

My SRV is #914452

I email you. Thanks,

Tomo

8. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

And your's sounds ridiculously good.... "might" have something to do with the player too.....:D

jb

9. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thank you you your kind words. but it wasn't sound for a while.
    I switched the pickups too.

It's aged by my sweat and soul. I have spent over 13 years from new one.

New guitar is new guitar. It takes time....

Tomo

10. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Excactly.

I bought mine new in 92, and sold it in 94. It was a dog.:mad:

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I bought mine New in 92 and sold it last year . I think people make a big deal about 1st run SRV's. Mine was cool............I had a Very Low serial Number.........but to tell you the truth my new G&L sounds much better. It will probably go up in value becuase people dig stupid **** like 1st run, or Limited Edition...........but purely as a guitar only..........They makem just as good today if not better.

12. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

I love mine. But I've played some dogs too. But remember, there are no pre-'92 models. There was the one made by the Custom Shop that had a good Strat Plus nut with the super glue finished neck that was given to Stevie that was used on an '89 Tonight Show performance. Production didn't get rolling until it's introduction at the '92 NAMM show.

Serial numbers aren't exact...neck pockets seem to be a good source of information. Mine is a July '93 neck date with a SE91XXXX serial number.

13. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

Oh yeah, and before being Plek'd, mine was a fighter. It made me work and work, now it plays like butter. It only took 13 years to figure it out.

14. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

Thanks so much everyone for your input thus far. Some really good info to consider.

I will pull off the neck to check the date. The finger board to me seems like pau ferro as it is a lighter shade than rw boards I have seen.

I guess the main attraction is simply the brand new condition, with tags and plastic. As some have suggested , it may only bring in a couple o few hundred more than market value. I'm gonna keep on researching this for a bit before I post for sale.

I have a plain blackguard with a new set of Lollar blackfaces that I just may stick in this guitar ..... i'm so curious.

Anyway thanks again, and don't be shy to add to the thread.

15. trisonic

trisonic Member

It was after hearing Tomo's that I had Jimmy Somma put Fralins into mine - and changed the pick guard to "snot green" with "yellowed" everything else, had it reset up by Jimmy and it is now beautiful. I was in two minds about it for years because my Wife bought it as a gift when we got engaged and I felt bad about either selling or changing it.
    Mine is numbered: SE909496 and I got it from Manny's in NY when they first came out - I tried out all 9 in the store....this one has a figured 'board and body. Somma thinks it is actually Ash. There's a lot of weirdery about these early ones - it also came with extremely highly polished frets.

Best, Pete.

16. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

The above info sounds about the same as I've heard about them. I had an early '92 model (bought new) and it did have a pretty dark board, but I'm pretty sure it was Pao Ferro so who really knows which ones had the BRW boards. I still regret selling it though, but the CS Strat that replaced it is still here 13yrs. later so I guess it turned out okay. I LOVE the SRV neck shape & fingerboard radius though and it's the only thing that I'd change about the CS (same neck dimentions that is). Oh, and I really did dig the lefty trem too...it just felt more natural for me I suppose. Asthetics aside they're pretty nice guitars and if I still had mine I'm sure I would've changed out a lot of the "SRV" bits (pickguard, gold hw, et cetera). Overall it's a nice guitar so if ya like how it plays & sounds I wouldn't blame ya if you kept it. ;)

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

If you dig it as a guitar I'd say go for it. It will probably always hold its value. I never liked Gold hardware and HATED the lefty Trem. I blocked it off and treated it as a Hardtail. I changed the Pups more times then I wanted to remember ...........but it did have a great neck! If you dig it..........thats all that matters. Again I just bought a like New G&L then I Love. It will never be worth what that SRV will be. I'd be lucky to get my money back..........but as a guitar to play and make music with its worth 3x what that SRV was to me.............I think if SRV was alive today he would laugh his ass off about how people talk about his tone and how much Brazilian this or that is worth.

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yes, I agree and btw I think the ones with the Brw board are actually the ones that are very plain and light coloured - which is probably why Fender changed the specs. I confess I'm not a fan of SRV but my Wife is.

Best, Pete.

19. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The SRV signature was started before Steive died. After his death, Fender chose not to release the gutair for a few years. So the early ones (1992) can have serial numbers from the late '80s. Not all of the early ones had Brazilian rosewood. I bought one from the second batch to hit San Diego GC in 1992 and it had Pau Ferro for the fingerboard. Still one of my favorites strats - should have never sold it.

20. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Pete,

Great gift from your wife. Your will stay forever with you.

My story is... Right after my first son was born... Everyone
    told me that I should buy something.(Once you have kids...
    you are over.. kind of thing.) So I bought my SRV.

Only reason to choose this guitar was NECK. Great feel!
    I didn't like the pickups. Was too dark. So I switched
    Frailn with underwound? I bought each one... I switched
    many times until I got right one in each positions.

Tomo