SRV Picking

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by bleomonkey, Jul 27, 2008.

1. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

When people say that SRV played with the round end of the pick, which of the following parts of the pick would that be (1, 2, or 3)?

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. stevel

stevel Member

Nice graphic!

I actually don't know, but I assume #1 (in relation to the guitar) so that the point of the pick was "inside" your hand rather than jutting out. I think the "top" of the pick (#2) would be ineffective because it's too flat.

Steve

3. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I tried all three positions yesterday, and found that #1 was the most comfortable and very effective. I'm pretty certain #3 is wrong, but I'm not certain about #2 because of this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06JAtu8WdWE&hl=en

However, I just came across this comment on an SRV video on Youtube: I don't know what the other guy is saying, but he would play with the "side" of his pick. If you think of a pick as an isosceles triangle, most people play with the smallest angle, he plays with one of the other angles. SRV would play so hard and with such heavy strings, that he would rotate his pick in the middle of a song b/c it would start to wear away. So, he's still using the "corner" of the pick, just not the corner that us mortals usually use.

4. rkchkr

rkchkr Member

I've watched a lot of video of him performing and have never seen him play with anything but the "proper" end.....not even momentarily. Not to say he never did...but I suspect this should be classed as "internet lore" Could someone direct me to video of him using the pick backasswards?

5. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

The problem is that the videos on Youtube are too blurry to tell. However, I can point you to some of my sources:

http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/artists_lounge/hall_of_legends/stevie_ray.htm - "Picks: Played with pick and finger; used the round end of the pick."

http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/pdfs/gear/srv_gear.pdf - "I play with a pick and a finger. I use the round end of the pick, too. You break less of them and don't get tangled up in the strings. Sometimes I play with both together, or I'll palm the pick and use my fingers, or sometimes I'll just
    Hubertit [play with bare fingers a la Hubert Sumlin (guitarist for Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters)]."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_pick - "Pat Metheny also holds the pick with three fingers but plays using the rounded side of the plectrum. George Lynch also uses the rounded side of the pick. Stevie Ray Vaughan also played with the rounded edge of the pick, citing the fact that the edge allowed more string attack than the tip. His manic, aggressive picking style would wear through pickguards in short order, and wore a groove in his beloved Fender Stratocaster, Number One, over his years of playing."

6. 5E3

5E3 Member

Hey Bleomonkey, you mean you don't own the DVD of SRV playing Austin City Limits, or Montreux Jazz fest?
    Shame, shame, shame ;) ;) ;)

Not only are those videos hugely entertaining (IMO) they are educational too :D

Cheers!

7. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I still need to get those DVD's, but for now I'm satisfied with watching some clips on Youtube.

8. semore butts

semore butts Member

But I've always played like that (#1).

The "proper" way just felt to "plucky" for me.

Just wanted to say also thanks to all the people here that have been teaching me lots of stuff.

Wish I could have done this 30 years ago (make it 40)

9. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

The funny thing is that now that I've been using the round end for two days, I find using the pointed end unconventional and bad sounding. It is so much easier for me to play with the round end because the pick slides over the strings.

10. semore butts

semore butts Member

It helps me get better ZZ Top kind of harmonics as well (Is that the right term)

There is so much information here I get frustrated because I'm ignorant. (Not Stupid)

I just play the muther F-ker.... It's tough to try to learn the technology after all these years.

I'm tryin though.

11. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

I've used the round end forever.

12. jtwang

jtwang Member

13. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Well, there is the definitive answer, nice work.

14. rkchkr

rkchkr Member

First I've actually seen it...and I have a some good quality videos with some excellent close ups. BTW....I take my crow well done! :messedup
    Thanks for the good shot.

15. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

That first picture is really good. Thanks for that evidence.

16. goldbondmp

goldbondmp Member

don't know if anyone mentioned this site:

www.steviesnacks.com

he talks about SRV's picking technq.

-Zach

17. ChmpgnSupernover

ChmpgnSupernover Member

Hey I pick like that too, my pick just naturally floats into that position. Too bad I'm not a big SRV fan though.

18. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Scott Henderson, Mike Landau and Robben Ford are some other players that sometimes or always plays with the fat en of the pick. I started doing it after talking to Scott and I find that i have more control and a fatter richer tone. Some times I use the "correct" side to get a thinner more percussive sound...

19. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Holding the pick like that is probably necessary when playing strumming techniques like in Rude Mood or Dirty Pool

20. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Add Carlton to the list too.