SRV. Seen This?

musekatcher

From youtube:

STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN sound check for the record session Zucchero at Sun Records Studios Memphis. Filmed by De Simone Giacomo

Lots of hum going on, if I didn't know better, I'd say there were some fluorescents in there somewhere..anybody identify the amp? Looks like a head and slant?

jpastras

Supporting Member
Late 80’s for sure. He is wearing a suit and is apparently sober. Before getting sober, he was usually more casually dressed and, honestly, he always seemed a little blasted.

I was learning to play when he burst into the scene -I was in middle school and my Dad had me learning early Clapton and Hendrix, which were no longer popular among young people in the Motley Crue/Bon Jovi/post Nee-Wave 80’s, but I really dug it. Then this guy comes out of nowhere, makes a pretty good splash in popular music, the blues resurgence happens, and I felt like my musical taste was validated.

Man, he was a huge hero. I saw almost every appearance he made in Atlanta.

I first heard him on Austin City Limits, ‘83 or ‘84, double bill with the T-birds. I was 11 or 12 and had been playing for 1-2 years.

Everybody wanted to be EVH, and this guy comes along with so much AUTHORITY in his playing. All of my GIT metal friends gave him massive respect. How could you not?

Misterbulbous

Late 80’s for sure. He is wearing a suit and is apparently sober. Before getting sober, he was usually more casually dressed and, honestly, he always seemed a little blasted.

I was learning to play when he burst into the scene -I was in middle school and my Dad had me learning early Clapton and Hendrix, which were no longer popular among young people in the Motley Crue/Bon Jovi/post Nee-Wave 80’s, but I really dug it. Then this guy comes out of nowhere, makes a pretty good splash in popular music, the blues resurgence happens, and I felt like my musical taste was validated. Man, he was a huge hero. I saw almost every appearance he made in Atlanta.

I first heard him on Austin City Limits, ‘83 or ‘84, double bill with the T-birds. I was 11 or 12 and had been playing for 1-2 years. Everybody wanted to be EVH, and this guy comes along with so much AUTHORITY in his playing. All of my GIT metal friends gave him massive respect. How could you not?
I thought he seemed kinda zoned out, but obviously I don't know that.

55hz

From youtube:

STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN sound check for the record session Zucchero at Sun Records Studios Memphis. Filmed by De Simone Giacomo

Lots of hum going on, if I didn't know better, I'd say there were some fluorescents in there somewhere..anybody identify the amp? Looks like a head and slant?
There are multiple amps in there.

55hz

I just had a moment of realization. You can hear how he uses his pick, what thickness it probably is...that glassy “nice” thing he does. The “sting” thing is easier to grab.

Zexcoil

Vendor
Looks to me like he's got a dummy coil wired into a push pot on the back tone knob.

He hits it at around 0:57, and it gets noisier and just slightly louder and more present.

Sure looks like A room at Kiva in Memphis ..later to become House of Blues ..fabulous neighborhood in that area :) and before the Max artwork I believe...

When I was there I heard he liked to look at the angel hologram in the wall ..that would be slightly behind or to the side of his amp set up ....and I believe he was looking into the control room kind of from the side

Plexi

Last edited:

Trending Topics