• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

SRV. Seen This?

jpastras

Silver Supporting Member
I agree. If it were a blind listening, you would hear terms like " Stevie Ray Wannabe ",
" needs a tuner " & of course, the classic " lack of haunting mids " from some of our
more discerning members. :rolleyes:
So, this is sort of a TGP members are d**ks comment. Yeah, maybe, but that’s going super-negative (screen name “I am Misery”, noted).

If it was about the playing, I think the obvious argument would be that the playing has already convinced enough people.

The weirdness of commenting that people hate SRV wannabes in this particular thread is an infinite recursion of nonsense.

M

Member 37136

I was going through some old photos for the R.E.M. thread when I found these: SRV live at the Hollywood Bowl in 1985! It was some Playboy magazine concert, IIRC . I didn't take the photos, but the photographer who did graciously made me some prints. I have others around here somewhere...

Zexcoil

Vendor
What do you mean by, "dummy coil?" Coil split, coil tap, extra magnet under the pickup, please elaborate.
Hidden somewhere in the guitar is a single coil without magnets, used to counter the hum. Wired in parallel or series with a string sensing single coil.
Dimarzio's "virtual" and other recent stacked single coils essentially have the bottom coil as a dummy. The ol' Gibson Blueshawk has a dummy coil. The Suhr and Ilitch silent systems use a large, low impedance coil.
I've been stuffing them into guitars for decades.
Yeah, that's it.

It's an extra coil of wire (usually just a standard coil bobbin with the pole pieces removed) that's wired up such that the noise it captures is the opposite polarity of the noise generated by the pickup. It cancels hum the same way the opposing coils in a humbucker cancel hum.

I had read that SRV used dummy coils in some of his guitars, and this vid supports it. He's definitely hitting a push pot in that video, and the only significant change in the tone I hear is the noise level and the slight "opening up".

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
I am suddenly thinking of how I can glue something like this under a p90. My brain just ejaculated.
I can tell you this- the higher the wind and the larger the coil, like P-90s, the more difficult it is to get a dummy coil that sits "just right", and cancels the right amount of hum. It changes the tone a bit, too. For me, I'm usually fine with a slightly darker, more compressed tone (I usually use the dummy in series). If you simply stick the coil on the back of a pickup, it will pick up signal. If you've ever gazed at the inner goods of a Dimarzio stack, those metal "wings" you see along side the top coil are there to keep the magnetic field focused and largely out of the bottom coil.
On a Strat, my go-to is to silicone the coil either on the backs of the tone pots, or nestled alongside them.

I can tell you this- the higher the wind and the larger the coil, like P-90s, the more difficult it is to get a dummy coil that sits "just right", and cancels the right amount of hum. It changes the tone a bit, too. For me, I'm usually fine with a slightly darker, more compressed tone (I usually use the dummy in series). If you simply stick the coil on the back of a pickup, it will pick up signal. If you've ever gazed at the inner goods of a Dimarzio stack, those metal "wings" you see along side the top coil are there to keep the magnetic field focused and largely out of the bottom coil.
On a Strat, my go-to is to silicone the coil either on the backs of the tone pots, or nestled alongside them.

If there are no magnets in the dummy coil, does it matter which direction the polarity faces in the circuit? Is there zero polarity without the magnets?

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
If there are no magnets in the dummy coil, does it matter which direction the polarity faces in the circuit? Is there zero polarity without the magnets?
Yes, it matters. There is no magnetic polarity, but there is a winding polarity. You got a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time. I test whatever coil I'm trying by turning it over and listening for the hum reduction or increase. If there isn't a point where it is sufficiently quiet (or the quietest is with the dummy tilted, not in the same plane as the pickup coil), I know I have a mismatch in coil strength.

...So, Ideally the dummy coil should be impedence matched to the pickup output? Sorry if this is getting too far from the original SRV topic. Fascinating!

Zexcoil

Vendor
Ideally, the coil would be inductance matched to the pickup(s). Inductance (by definition) is a measure of a coil's ability to induce a signal, including a noise signal.

In practice, that's going to be difficult to do unobtrusively.

Of course, the best solution is to not need a dummy coil at all...

Husky

Dummy coils that are matched will rob you of all your tone and sound flat. They are not very useful unless actively injected with a differential circuit but that puts a buffer in the guitar which changes the character quite a bit. The key here is to produce as much possible hum with the least amount of DCR. You don’t want a matched coil.

tymish

i'm certainly a fan, but if there was no video i think the comments here would be quite different. if that was some guy noodling at Guitar Center he'd get torn apart.

anyone know who he was doing a session for? did he guest on many people's stuff back then?
Maybe today, after all people have had 30 years, hundreds of YouTube instructional videos and an insane amount of gear options compared to the 80s to cop his tone and playing. Back then there was absolutely no doubt whose tone that was.

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
I saw that video last night and was like ahh man,,,,,,dang it again....

It was the year 1989 when SRV was in my town for a gig and I was too broke to get tickets (18 years old). His album was all over the radio for months prior. When I heard him for the first time, I said to myself "this is the best blues player I've ever heard". I tried so hard to go to the show and gave up thinking, it's ok, I'll save up and go to the next one....Well, months later he passed. I've never really gotten over it. To this day, still my favorite blues player ever....RIP SRV...:(

Edit: my dates are off I missed seeing him in May 1989. Then he passed in 1990. Never got to see him.

Last edited:

zestystrat

This is great! Any unearthed SRV footage is great.

I saw him 6x, 4 were with other artists (Beck, Plant, Satch, Cocker) I always left his shows so fulfilled as a gtr player.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
SRV noodling.... very cool....

Sounds like In Step tones. Tightrope....

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
He died in 1990, august. I saw him 2 weeks before his death, early August Jones Beach NY.

He was playing his ass off, beautifully.

I saw that video last night and was like ahh man,,,,,,dang it again....

It was the year 1989 when SRV was in my town for a gig and I was too broke to get tickets (18 years old). His album was all over the radio for months prior. When I heard him for the first time, I said to myself "this is the best blues player I've ever heard". I tried so hard to go to the show and gave up thinking, it's ok, I'll save up and go to the next one....Well, two weeks later he passed. I've never really gotten over it. To this day, still my favorite blues player ever....RIP SRV...:(

Trending Topics

Top Bottom