SRV Signature strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Soundhound, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Anyone have any experience with later model versions ('01, '02, '03)? I'm thinking of getting one and putting a set of wagner SRs (and the RS electronics upgrade kit) that I have in there.

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Like other Strats, you have to play a bunch to seperate the gems from the dogs. To my ear, even though I don't particularly care for the stock Texas Special pickups, I don't think they sound too bad in this particular Strat. However, the necks seem to vary quite a bit on the SRV Strat and I've seen some that weren't very straight. I'd like to eventually pick up another SRV myself but I haven't run across a gem lately. Good luck....let your hand & ears be your guide.

3. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I've got a '92 that I'll be putting in the SR's & RS harness in about 2 weeks from now. I'm geeked!!!:AOK
    I don't think the "newer" SRV's feel as good as the older ones BUT I think they're better than the majority of the other Strat models. The key is the 12" radius on the board. Its way better for bending!!

4. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I had one that was a bit older than that (99/2000).

Make sure you check out the Texas Specials before changing them out. As mentioned about they really work with this guitar. I actually regret selling that particular one (and this is coming from a Les Paul guy!)

Scott

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I have a 2005 and it's great. I put a set of Dimarzio VV pickups in it and it just sounds awesome 2.1 in the neck and middle and a v2 neck (no typo) in the bridge.

The bridge totally rocks and it sounds great in all positions. Plenty of quack and nobody would ever know it's a noiseless pickup set.

Regarding the SRV guitars, the thing I've noticed is that they seem to have more of an incidence of neck twisting than other guitars. My luthier seems to think this is due to the pau ferro fingerboards but I don't know.

Some of them have sloppy fretwork too. I've played a few of them that had the frets beveled a bit too much so the strings slip off the fingerboard easily.

Otherwise, I think fender's making better guitars these days than ever. I picked up a recent American Deluxe Strat and SRV that both kill. Equal to most boutique guitars IMO though of course as VaughnC points out, they will not be as consistent as the boutiques.

I also dislike texas specials but thought the set in my SRV sounded great. I just changed them out because I needed hum cancellation. Someone else mentioned that the SRV versions of the texas specials are different than the after-market ones. I dunno but I put a set of after-market texas specials in another strat and they sounded darker than the set in the SRV.

6. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I'd be trading for this one long distance, so I won't be able to play it before I get it. Hmmm, the concerns about the necks on the srvs worries me. I was hoping maybe they'd be more consistent than other fenders...

7. jzucker

Not according to what I've seen or my luthier. By the way, for some reason the fretwork is better on the american deluxe strats. One thing to consider is finding a great american series strat or american deluxe strat. Then put whatever pickups you want in it.

As I said before, the maple neck American Deluxe strat I bought is fantastic. I compared it to the Eric Johnson and frankly I thought it was better. Of course, they're not all the same so it could have been just these 2 guitars but my impression is that fender's really got their **** together lately and the american and american deluxe guitars are great. Incidentally, the mayer guitar was great too but I didn't care for the pickups. At least it's rosewood so if the pau ferro thing is really true that would be an option but if I were to do it all over again, I'd probably try to find a great american series and then swap the pickups for the dimarzios. Even if you put a warmoth boat-neck on it, you'd still have less into it than a stock srv though there's no guarantee that'll sound any good either.

There was a guy selling a used SRV around here for $950 recently. I almost bought it but guitar center gave me almost the same deal on the 2005 model.

8. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

thanks jz. I actually have an american standard that I originally was planning on putting the wagner pickups into, but the neck was never right for me. I don't know what it is, I've had it plekked and other people have played it and loved it, but it just never quite felt right in my hands, you know? That led to a search for a neck, for swapping the American Standard for somethjing with a neck that felt like home, and then this srv came up. I'd played an srv a few years back at a shop that I like a lot, and I liked the srv a ton. Almost bought it. Anyway, that's the saga up to now, bascially I have a set of wagner pups that are looking for a great home. I like biggest frets, low action. Maybe a Jimmy Vaughan strat.

9. jzucker

I hear you. I also like the 12" radius of the SRV. The 9.5 on the other fenders is OK but much harder for me to do albert king bends on. I wish Fender would make 12" an option for their necks. I think they'd be big sellers. I also wish you could get an SRV "Lenny" guitar with an option for maple fingerboard. And...While I'm at it, how about an ash tele with an SRV thickness maple/maple neck? Come on Fender? Don't you realize how much money you're losing to the custom builders?

Gotta wonder about the marketing departments at these companies though apparently fender's doing pretty well...

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I have a 1992 first run that I really love........Its the longest I've ever owned anything ........going on 14 years. They used Brazilian Rosewood back then.This guitar has the best strat neck I've ever played. But having owned it for so long I gotta say I really dislike the lefthand trem and the Gold hardware. I've fantasized about changing it all to Relic Fender hardware and even maybe switching the the Trem and plugging the wood..........Hell, Stevie did it right? But If I want a relic strat I'll just get one. This Guy is an old friend and I really love it. I ripped that pickguard off back in 94 though............[​IMG]

11. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I like the 12" radius too, I have a couple of g&ls with that radius and they're great to play. I'm actually interested in the left handed whammy because I'm getting a little more into beck/henderson/gilmour whammy-ing and thought having it tight to the hand like that might be useful. I think I remember liking it when I tried it a few years ago, but the mind doesn't retain things the way it used it, if it ever did... :rolleyes:

12. Luke V

Luke V Member

I love Texas Specials, have a set in my '83 62RI and one of my beater Strats.

13. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I compared examples of the Clapton, Johnson, SRV, and Knopfler signature models today and came away liking the Knopfler the best.

The Eric Johnson needed to be set up. It was stiff as could be. I could barely budge the plain strings for bends. I put it back on the rack without even plugging it in. Heavy too. Not impressed with that example. They could shave some of the weight but not putting so much finish on the neck. Good gawd was it sticky feeling.

The Clapton was nice feeling. I liked the satin neck finish but the smaller frets and the vintage radius together just weren't doing it for me. The pickups were pretty good actually. The guitar sounded great acoustically. Nice guitar overall.

The SRV was the lightest of the bunch. I liked the flatter radius and the larger frets. Pretty decent tone acoustically. I have always hated those pickups though. The looks were a little funky. Kind of had that seventies sunburst look to it and the black guard made it look even more seventies Fender. If I found a really good example of this guitar I could get past the SRV looks.

The Knopfler was medium weight. Rounder vintage radius with big frets, nicely dressed, best player of the bunch even though I usually prefer the flatter board. Nice chunky neck similar to the SRV. Loved the straight forward vintage look of it. Great tone. The pickups were Texas Specials like the SRV supposedly but it was a better sounding guitar. Overall, except for the vintage radius it was very much what the SRV should have been without the SRV looks. My favorite of the bunch.

14. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Man, this is a tough one. Thanks for all the experiences and help everybody, much appreciated. Strats are such funny animals, seems like a jump to get one without playing it. Maybe I need to hit a store that has a bunch of these models and try them, the Jimmy Vaughan, etc. etc. All I'm looking for is a strat that's well made and plays great (I know I know, easier said than done) cause I have all the electronics and pups ready to go. The temptation is strong to say screw and spring for a lentz or suhr or melancon, but I'm a cheap bastard and figure I should be able to trade my American Standard with the plekked neck for what I'm after. Just have to find the right one. I played a late 80s MIJ in a store the other day. dirt cheap and played great. arg. Nice problem to have I suppose...

15. jzucker

The problem is that unless you're buying the one you play in the store, it'll tell you little about the one you're going to get unless you're just trying to get a general idea of whether you like the neck shape, radius, etc.

Suhrs vary too. They are amazingly consistent in terms of wood choice, setup, quality, etc., but they don't all sound exactly alike.

The thread's gone on so long I've forgotten what kind of stuff you're going to be playing on it. If you're playing blues, you probably don't need the thing to play like buttah so even the stock setup on an American Series ought to be fine. I'll bet you can find a great one locally and save the money over buying the SRV guitar mail-order.

16. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Right you are. It's not mail-order actually, it's a trade. I think I may be leaning toward just hunting around in second hand stores till I find something. Or going to (gasp) guitar center and playing a pile of them and hoping for the best, and selling my Standard online or trade it in...

17. VaughnC

While I pretty much agree with all the SRV Strat comments here....I have to say that, in the big neck/big frets Strat catagory, my new Jimmy Vaughan Strat can hold its own with any of the above at 1/2 the price. While I still prefer a rosewood fretboard though, for the price, the JV I took a chance on and bought sight unseen is pretty hard to beat. With Musicians Friend's 45 day return policy I figured what the heck.

However, having said that, I still find the SRV Strat interesting even though I don't really care for the 12" fretboard radius. But, due to the neck carve, I don't seem to notice the fretboards flatness as much. Go figure.

However, having said that....I recently purchased a MIM '60s Strat that's excellent in it's own right. Thinner neck and smaller frets than the Strats previously mentioned....but it sounds and plays right. The MIM Strats seem much better today than they were a few years ago and, at this point in time, I have no plans on changing anything on my MIM JV & 60's Strats....they just seem right the way they were born ;).

18. jzucker

I'll have to check the JV out at GC. The 9.5 radius scares me. I thought I asked this before but I don't see it now. Didn't you say the JV was poplar?

19. VaughnC

The early JV's were poplar. The current one's are alder....but the sunburst version has a birch veneer on the front & rear of the body to cover the multiple pieces of alder used in construction. The veneered sunburst one's don't sound like a good formula for tone but mine really surprized me. And its chunky soft V neck feels great. Also, this is one of the few Strats I've owned where I can actually set the action too low without any fret buzz. However, I had to set the action higher for the feel I like. With the stock American Vintage hardware, the JV Strat has to be the best Strat deal in Fender's current lineup.

20. jzucker

Just to clarify...Is yours a solid (non veneered) ?

Also, what's the turnaround time for a true-bypass mod? ;)