SRV Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bucko250, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Bucko250

Bucko250 Guest

I have been wanting get a strat for a long time now. I have been wanting the SRV strat, but I'm curious if this is really a good guitar or am I just paying for the name? I've played this guitar a lot at Guitar Center and like the way it plays. Is there another strat that has the tone of this guitar, like maybe the Strat Texas Special? Thanks for the feedback.

2. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

If you dig it, it's worth the price. I don't think you can get the neck carve, fret size, or pau ferro fingerboard in any other strat that Fender makes.

3. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

Been my favorite guitar for the past 12 years.

Mike

4. Bucko250

Bucko250 Guest

Mike, does yours have the rosewood fretboard, or is it pao ferro? Should I try to find one with a rosewood fretboard?

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

The new John Mayer Strat is similar to the SRV Strat. Maybe you might like its flavor better. However, only YOU can decide for yourself if any guitar is a "good guitar"....no matter who's name is on it or what anyone else thinks.

6. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

SRV neck can vary in size. I have seen thin ones and baseball bat sized ones as well. Play a few to find the one that fits you best. I have been playing them since they came out and found very few that I really liked, but when you find the one watch out. It will be one that you will play and can't put down.

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I've been through alot of guitars............but my first run SRV has been with me since 1992. I've changed the pick ups around 5 times finally settleing on a set of kinmans............but I think they will soo to go for a set of Rolfs............

Great guitar but.............I have the trem blocked off becuase I'm not a trem guy and hate the lefty option (something for you to think about). Its brazilian boarded neck is the best I've ever played..............:dude

8. paullacey

paullacey Member

You might also want to try out the Knopfler strat. The texas specials in that one really sing when cranked up. Does the clean Knopfler tones a treat too (of course).

The upside down trem and the pickguard always put me off the SRV. :cool:

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

The Knopfler neck does not come close to the beefy SRV neck. I believe there are Med jumbos in the MK as well.............the SRV has huge gibson like frets. They sustain like crazy. The Lefty Trem is a valid complaint...........thats up to the buyer, but the Pickguard is easily changed. I think mine lasted 1 week.

When I get a few more guitars and can afford to dedicate a few to different tunings I plan on upping the strings to 12's and dropping down to Eflat for serious chugga chugga riffage..............Right now its got 10's becuase I need it to do alot more things. Great guitar...........I can't believe its been 13 yrs already.............:jo

10. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

Mine has a mint green '62 RI pickguard (don't care about drilling more holes in the body), no back plate, an odd mix of nickel and gold parts (hate gold), and has been strung with GHS 11s since I brought it home on 08-08-94. The lefty trem is the coolest thing in the world...if that's what you like. I've NEVER understood the gripe about the trem myself. If you don't want a scalloped neck, don't buy the Malmsteen Strat.

Each one is different. I've seen '92s with huge necks and tiny necks. The latest bunch I've seen in Guitar Center all have weird sunbursts. Mine is from October '93 and was just a wonderful fit for me! The only Strat that has come close to being as comfy for me is my John Mayer Strat. I wouldn't rule the JM out - especially if the left handed trem is sticking point.

Mike

11. bluestein

bluestein Member

I love the SRV strats....especially the early ones.

Be careful out there - at the last 2 guitar shows there were some that were fake. I guess you can buy the Stevie Ray Vaughan headstock decals on ebay - and slap them on anything.

Also beware of any claim of "brazilian rosewood" fingerboards. There are very few out there - and most sellers have no idea how to identify them. I've bought several on ebay that advertised "brazilian" ..... that weren't. I've been told there are under 50 out there. (not counting the recent custom shop model)

early SRV strats

I like the neck, the frets, the tone - in short, for me they are the perfect strat. Rosewood, alder, hot pickups - whew!