1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

SRV Stratocaster vs JV Stratocaster?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by VaughnC, Dec 10, 2005.

1. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Anybody ever A/B'd these Strats? Comparison impressions?

2. monstermike

monstermike Member

The JV plays fewer notes and is consequently misunderstood by the buying public.

Seriously, the JV is a somewhat beefed-up 50's style Strat (spankier and twangier) where the SRV is a somewhat beefed-up 60's style Strat (darker and fatter). I prefer the JV for its pickups, neck shape, and overall vibe.

3. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

:eek: :rolleyes: :)

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

LOL!

5. blind radish

blind radish Supporting Member

The SRV stock seems like a poser's guitar .... You'd have to take off the SRV pickguard to play in public unless you can Burn like Stevie Ray and then... why would you use a SRV guitar when you could play the crap out your OWN and make it your own.

having said that, and waiting for the flames :eek: I like the SRV a tad better for it's 60s characteristics and it's PUPs (yup ... I have played both)

after AB ing them ... I ended up with a MIM 60s RI in burgandy mist (hate that color name)

it had the 60s vibe nailed ....

JMHO

btw ... in the guitar dictionary next to spare blues playing, you'll find Jimmy Vaughn's pix

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Ahhhhhh what do you know about playing and recording blues? :rolleyes: :D

Seriously..........I love my 92 SRV strat..........but I hate the left hand Trem and gold Hardware. So........I blocked it off and wait for the gold to wear off............

7. axpro

axpro Member

My vote goes to the JV strat... was always a big SRV fan, but never found "The strat" until i tried a JV...

8. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

I've played numerous examples of both of these, and for my money the Jimmie Vaughan strat is the best production model they make, BAR NONE.

I bought one about 4 months ago, and its a fantastic player, and has great tone too. I can't say enough good things about it.

But, then again, I also like Jimmie better than SRV too. The cleaner tone, less notes, and his fantastic sense of timing and dynamics, plus he practically created the "white blues player look" - with his bowling shirts, 2 tone shoes, greaser hair and slacks. I'm not insulting it, I think its cool as hell.

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I think alot of people are just burned out on SRV. Argubly we never would have even heard of Jimmy Vaughn if not for SRV. Stevie could play slowly too. Jazzy, acousticly, slide...........You name it . I love Jimmy...........but I just think everyone is burnt out on Stevie and all his followers........

But I agree with the casual look Jimmy created. He's about as cool a Kat as there is..........:AOK

10. axpro

axpro Member

Well, he WAS in the Fabulous Thunderbirds... he might not be a household name, but we'd have heard of him....

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

I too have the 60's in Burgundy Mist.... I love that guitar.... :D

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

They might have been local legends but The Tbirds became famous after opening many shows for SRV and double Trouble in the mid 80's.

13. monstermike

monstermike Member

Actually, the T-Birds had released four records and constantly toured the States and Europe before SRV's first record, and their influence was huge. Without the influence of 70's-early 80's Jimmie, you don't get Ronnie Earl, Anson Funderburgh, Stevie Ray, all of Duke Robillard's non-swing material, a bunch of the West Coast guys... In England, they were a favorite of the post-punk powerpop guys, touring with Rockpile, having Elvis Costello open for them under a pseudonym just for the thrill of hearing them, and produced by Nick Lowe. Also, they were the opening act for Clapton's early '83 tour that was cut short by Clapton's ulcer.

All of this is before Let's Dance and Texas Flood, by the way...

Having said all that, they probably would never have broken into the pop world in the same way without Jimmie's little brother. But their influence in the blues world was huge before Stevie had a record deal.

14. VaughnC

I once owned an SRV Strat but never had the opportunity to play the JV version due to lack of local availability. So, how would you compare the tone of the two guitars? Even though I typically don't care for a 12" fretboard radius, the feel of the SRV's neck never really bothered me too much....but the Texas Specials never sounded quite right to me. The JV has a 9.5" fretboard radius which should feel comfy but I was wondering if the JV pickups are better at the "traditional" Strat sound or more versastile than the Texas Specials. The Texas Specials always sounded kinda one dimensional to me.

15. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Vaughn,
    I think you'd really like the JV but will be uninspired by the pups. I hear dry & bright, not that sweet glassy/throaty sound I think you dig about 60's strats. I don't hear it, anyway. A pup change makes the JV a great guitar.

16. VaughnC

Thanks Joe....the JV has just been one of those guitars that I've been curious about for a long time but none ever showed up locally to try out. Most comments seem to be saying "excellent bang for the buck" but, as you know, tone is very subjective....and no 2 Strats with the same specs sound exactly the same. Oh well, I suppose there's only one way to find out if it's a good fit so I just ordered one on approval....so we'll see how it goes. I thought the John Mayer Strat would be a good fit but the one I tried really missed the mark. Maybe I'm going through some sort of tonal change of life or something :eek: .

17. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I've got a JV Strat that's a dandy instrument indeed. I'm putting a set of Chubtone reverse stagger '67s in it, but I don't really mind the Tex-Mex p'ups. I have a clip around here of the T-Ms, I'll try to locate it and post a link. I think they're a little nicer than the Texas Specials, but not as sweet as a CS '69. I ran into a good deal on the Chubtones, otherwise I was headed to the CS '69s myself.

18. BKRMON

BKRMON Member

Sorry, IMO, that's a stretch.

I played a JV once, in a music store, wasn't impressed. Memory says it was a MIM tex-mex Strat.

19. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Here's that clip of my JV with Tex-Mex installed. There's a second guitar with humbuckers too, so don't mistake the two ;)

JV Strat

20. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Okay...my thoughts? JV is a consummate and highly capable journeyman that served the genre as good as anybody. He's overwhelmingly appreciated and gets plenty of ink acknowledging his strengths and attributes. I enjoy his playing immensely but Stevie's special playing remains a religious and spiritual experience for me; way down in the alley type of stuff. Ronnie Earl takes me there, too. Anyway, JV's chair has been replaced {and replaced} and I think the TBirds sound better than ever.