SRV Tones: What does It Better Than a TS?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Theorywolf, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I know all about the tones in the hands (think I got some of that down) and the pickups and amp, etc. I got all that and I think I do pretty good in getting that type of tone. I now realize that some pedals don't go down the SRV road, like the zendrive, for example: Ford? Yes! SRV? No! So I have the TS pedals and they do fine. But I also don't want to miss out on something even better! So, what pedals out there (High or low price) do the texas blues/SRV even better in your opinion than the stock or modded TS pedals? I just listened to a clip of the Eternity and thought that it sounded better for rock! Give me a list of something better than the TS!

Thanks,

Mike

2. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

The most common answer I've seen is The MJM Blues Devil. I concur with that answer.

3. gregory49

gregory49 Member

The BEST SRV tone i ever had was for a short time in a music store. that was with an SRV strat, Blues Deville and a Stock new TS9. I **** you not.

4. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

Got that and it is my main TS type pedal. Sounds thin and kinda lifeless at low volumes, but at gig levels and in a band setting, the notes really do "Bloom!" But, as I said, I don't want to miss anything that might be better! I was just reading about a 12axe pedal? Just want the best for my tone!

Mike

5. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I've got this covered as well! One night, I played at an annual blues band jam in Fayetteville, NC. Everybody was in a hurry to get set up between bands, so I did not have time to get my pedals set up. So, I just went with my Texas Special Strat, original Blues Deville 2X12, and my reissue TS9! The sound man said it was "right on" and that it sounded wonderful! The audience was also very responsive! One thing said on the site recently was the fact that some of these pedals don't sound as good as they can unless the amp is at breakup level...I think that is the case with the TS pedals, including the Blues Devil! They smooth out and sing at that higher level! Still wnat to know what I'm missing out there in the world of TS like pedals!

Mike

6. jzucker

jzucker Silver Supporting Member

ethos clean channel

7. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

I've had luck with a Barber Burn Unit Eq thru a Fender type amp...

Steve

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

9. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

There are many OD's people might like more than a TS, but a better TS sound oddly enough came for me from a Klon. I got that SRV mid push on the neck pup like nowhere else. I also love the E, but it's more open sounding. Those 2 will do ya for sure.

10. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I had a klon. but I did not get anything out of it so I sold it! Sounds like a nice boost pedal, But not for SRV, well not for me anyway!

Mike

11. kram21

kram21 Member

voodoo lab sparkle drive

12. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

cheapest way to get a SRV tone.... Huge ass strings

dk

13. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Piano wire....:D

14. IRG

IRG Member

How about 2 TS pedals?

15. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

What kind of power supply do you need for this pedal? What does it sound like with other OD pedals? At higher volumes? The clips sound nice!

Mike

16. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

you cant beat a TS9... that into my vibroverb... pure SRV...! you gotta crank your amp tho... I have a standard reissue TS9 and keeley mod+ TS9 and a FD2 Mosfet and for the SRV type sound i prefer the standard TS9 reissue...

17. PatchCord

PatchCord Member

Big strings & Talent :BEER

He always made it look so easy :cool:

18. eric-d

eric-d Member

The thing that's most important to get that SRV tone is to crank the living hell outta the amp!! Tweeds and Blackfaces will get you in the neighborhood. Then using a TS variant with low gain will get you singing. Also - if you watch Stevie on the video's - he's working that volume knob a lot.

19. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

20. Taylor Daly

Taylor Daly Member

People may scoff...but Ive owned an MJM, two Keeley TSs (9 and 808), FD2, and a few others...and the best SRV to date (to my ears) is my buddies Maxon OD808 through his Super or my old Twin. One of the cheapest ones out there, and I keep going back to it.