SRV's Austin City Limits Rig

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cjhastings, Apr 2, 2017.

1. cjhastings

cjhastings Member

I'm a huge Stevie Ray Vaughan fan, and the ACL gig he did before he passed away is one of my favorite performances. I realize by that point he was changing his rig a bit from the usual setup. I know he was using a Cesar Diaz modified fuzz face, but I'm not sure what transistors he used in it. Probably silicon from what I can hear, but any insight from people would be helpful. I can only assume that the rest of his pedalboard was very much the same, aside from his Octavia. I'm also curious as to what amps he was plugged into then.

If anyone has any photos or something of Stevie's rig at that time, I'd be very interested to see them. His sound was quite different at that show, and I'm curious to see what he was using.

Also, anytime someone asks about SRV's gear on TGP, another guy gives them crap for it. Please don't be that guy. We all know that tone is in the fingers dude.

Edit: Thanks to some helpful responses, I was able to find a picture of the pedalboard Stevie was using around the time of ACL. Here it is:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. cjhastings

cjhastings Member

3. 68dripedge

68dripedge Supporting Member

The Diaz Square Face used NTE103 germaniums in many if not all of the production models, so I assume that's what he modded SRV's with. I think I remember reading that they hold up to temperature changes better.

PurpleJesus likes this.
  4. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

I've got a question related to the ACL concert too.

On the 2nd solo of Tightrope what is he using get that tone? I can't tell if it's a fuzz or a 2nd tubescreamer boosting his amps and just sending it all into meltdown.

Any ideas?

MAGICboy likes this.
  5. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Judging only by sound it sounds a bit like an Octavia.

hamerman55 and Memphistokid like this.
  6. johngreene

johngreene Member

Unfortunately anything NTE can be a wide range of parts. They bought surplus parts and relabeled them so you never really knew what you were getting. Since they were usually parts that would normally be rejected by QC of the manufacturer, I doubt you could count on them as being "better" for anything! ;)

nixpix and 68dripedge like this.
  7. cjhastings

cjhastings Member

Sounds like the fuzz face to me, possibly the Octavia. I don't think he was using 2 tubescreamers at ACL.

Edit: just re-watched it, and I think it's probably the fuzz face and not the Octavia. He used the Octavia on other songs at that performance and it sounds quite different to me. The fuzz face also has more gain.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    chrismellotron and PurpleJesus like this.
  8. 68dripedge

68dripedge Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. Just something I remembered reading at one point.

9. fenderjapan

Important to note that when using the Octavia on Mary Had a Little Lamb he was on the neck pickup. It would sound VERY different with the bridge pickup, which is what he was using in Tightrope. But it may also just be a fuzz face.

10. cjhastings

cjhastings Member

Yes that's a very good point. Forgot to consider the pickups.
    I don't own an Octavia, but I do have another pedal that does the same effect but without the fuzz included. It definitely makes a huge difference going from bridge to neck pickups.
    It could be the Octavia or the fuzz face, or even both. I'm not sure at this point...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  11. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

I just listened to it and I would think Fuzz or TS --> Fuzz.

12. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Forgive me for partly going on memory- the performance in question is currently unfindable on youtube and I no longer have a vcr to watch the old vhs lol. I know the ff is all over that performance- May I Have A Talk With You, Leave My Little Girl Alone, really most of the solos actually. Couldn't stand the weather is great because I think it features a little bit of everything individually(TS+vibratone in the very beginning, then clean, then ff with vol knob rolled down, then ff full on). Voodoo child also features all the fx but he's switching so damn much it's hard to tell sometimes which is which. From memory, it does seem that Tightrope is a little more "ballsy" than some of the ff solos, so that could be bridge pup>oct>TS(which SRV did say in an interview during that time period that he liked that combo, and he also talked about the ff, but he never said he used the ff & ts together fwiw.), or it could also be that the vibratone is adding some fullness to the ff tone in Tightrope(its definitely on during the verses). Anyway theres pics on google image of the rig, it's oct>ff>ts>wah

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    cjhastings likes this.
  13. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Sorry for hijacking but here's a question for all the SRV cracks...We all now Stevie for his use of the Vibratone.

According to the following diagram, he used 5 amps in parallel all at the same time. That'd mean that the Vibratone was always audible because it didn't came with a stop function from the factory (only slow and fast speed). Am I right or wrong?
    [​IMG]

14. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Member

I'm trying to remember but a dealer and big time collector I know supposedly acquired a Vibroverb or a Super that had the JBL drivers that SRV allegedly used at one point and there was way more to the story but there was decent reason to believe it was originally one of SRVs amps at one time. There was way more to the story and I could have several details wrong there for those who are hard core fans. He has all this super prized stuff in the basement of this shop and its like catacombs down there. Building is old and its like a museum of awesomeness. **** you wouldnt believe.

captaincoconut likes this.
  15. fenderjapan

I believe The silver footswitch labeled in your diagram "vibrato/reverb footswitch" actually switches the Vibroverbs output between the Vibratone and the internal speakers (and controls the slow and fast speed)
    http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/vibratone/Vibratone.pdf

16. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Yes that's what I thought too.

Here's the original picture of the pedalboard shown above...it's hard to tell from the picture if it's a regular Fender combo switch (Vibrato/Reverb) or in fact the Vibratone's footswitch which was labeled Leslie/Trem.

[​IMG]

17. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Member

His playing and tone on that performance is jaw-droppingly great.

18. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

i like that one of the most revered guitarist the world has known uses duct tape to hold his board together

19. rufedges

rufedges Member

Huge SRV fan here too. Me personally, I prefer his earlier tone to his In-Step - 89'/90' tone. But Stevie was always experimenting with amps and gear, it is what it is. IMO, his ACL tone was running abnormally high gain, and I'm pretty sure he was using his 5 different amps, including the Marshall and the fuzz, which I believe contributed to some of the added high-end fizzyness and high-gain. Still amazing playing and great tone, I just prefer the more stripped-down tones of say his 82' Montreaux and El Mocambo performances.

As far as what was making his tone different at that show, I believe the fuzz pedal was a big factor, but who really knows, other than I'm inclined to think the gain on his pedals and amps were dimed much higher than normal.

20. rufedges

rufedges Member

LOL......This is decades pre-TGP, he would definitely be frowned upon by the community nowadays.........but, even Eric Johnson's board was a rats nest up until recently, so to each his own.